Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt curtain!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I get you Izy - so I just sew the header on then hook every 4" and the quilt, because it'll be a little bit stiffer than plain fabric, will naturally 'wave' in and out? Have I got you? :D Or not? :roll:

K x

Blog Entries
    have you thought about making it like a roman shade maybe and mounting it up high over the door in the bulkhead? Or would that block out to much light above when it is drawn up? just an idea to think about.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    It's a good idea but I wouldn't know where to begin with a roman shade! In summer, the light wouldn't be a problem but in winter I do like to let it all in!

K x

Blog Entries
    here is a site to check out for ideas, maybe
    http://www.terrelldesigns.com/romanshadesgalleries.htm

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Wow! There's some beautiful stuff there Sharon, thanks! I think I'll stay with a curtain for the door but maybe I'll have ago at roman shades when I get to the living room... They're pretty big windows with no curtaining at all at the moment - we have outside shutters - and I would love to do a treatment to soften them up but floor length curtains would cover the radiators! These blinds would be great beacuse we could lower them to any height in summer to keep some of the sun out and still let light in! Looks like I've got a few projects lined up...thanks girls!!! Weee hayyyy!!!

K x

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I get you Izy - so I just sew the header on then hook every 4" and the quilt, because it'll be a little bit stiffer than plain fabric, will naturally 'wave' in and out? Have I got you? :D Or not? :roll:

K x
    That's what I meant :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    :wink: :D

Blog Entries
    well when you move on to those windows in the living room....here is an idea if you don't want to actually make the roman shade if you very plain inexpensive ones where you live you can add the material you want to them as shown here
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/f...ct-2009-076502

I made a quilt to hang over a very drafty window in my shorehouse bedroom. I used the thin batting and a rod pocket and hung the quilt straigt but used a much longer rod than the window so I would have room to slide it to one side. It really lookes great. No pleats or anthing just straight like a wall hanging. It really keeps the cold out and the heat in. I would send you a picture but that house is 3 hours away from my regular house. Good luck. :)

Thanks for sharing. I just bought a roman shade on clearance at Kmart and thought I could try something like that but had no idea how to do it. I am going to try it with the directions.
    Thanks
    Linda

k3n
    Blog Entries
    The blind makeover looks a great idea - no fiddling around with strings and pulleys! Let us know how you get on Linda! And thanks for the info on your quilt curtain!

K x

Blog Entries
    I bought some stuff long ago @ JoAnns (I think) that is silver, thin and has insulating properties.Yu could use that as your batting. I am sure they still carry it or something like it. I was going to make a window quilt, like a lovely scenic thing. I had planned on attaching to window frame with velcro so I could put up @ night and take down at will. Don't know how much use your door gets for the velcro but it certainly could be made as a curtain... hope this helps! BTW - I never did make the dern thing...... :)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    I bought some stuff long ago @ JoAnns (I think) that is silver, thin and has insulating properties.Yu could use that as your batting. I am sure they still carry it or something like it. I was going to make a window quilt, like a lovely scenic thing. I had planned on attaching to window frame with velcro so I could put up @ night and take down at will. Don't know how much use your door gets for the velcro but it certainly could be made as a curtain... hope this helps! BTW - I never did make the dern thing...... :)
    It's the only door in and out of the house so it gets quite a lot of use! :D

Do you know the brand name of the stuff you describe - I'm in France and we don't have Joann's here :cry:

Thanks!

K x

I made a quilt and turned it into a shower curtain with tabs at the top, I used light weight batting and it isn't too heavy at all. I think that it would help to keep the draft out if you used batting. Your door opening area looked like you could use something, a spring rod maybe to hang it from instead of nailing anything to the wall and you can remove the whole thing during the warmer months.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    That's a good idea, that could sit just inside the recess and DH wouldn't have to get his power tools out...!

K x

I was in a quilt museum that was in an old bank. There were some huge windows in there that all had a quilted covering. They were off white and I guess you would say they were whole cloth quilts? Beautiful designs were quilted on them! It looked like they were on a rod inside the window at the top and then another rod went thru the bottom pocket to keep the wuilt spread open.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbud2
    I was in a quilt museum that was in an old bank. There were some huge windows in there that all had a quilted covering. They were off white and I guess you would say they were whole cloth quilts? Beautiful designs were quilted on them! It looked like they were on a rod inside the window at the top and then another rod went thru the bottom pocket to keep the wuilt spread open.
    Yeah, I thought I might have to use lead weighting tape in the bottom to make it hang right, but I can always add that later if necessary!

I've been having fun all evening playing with patterns - I wanted something fairly simple but striking in just 3 fabrics - burgundy, dark green and old gold. I'm thinking of the quiltville.com ohio stars and rails?!

K x

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    It's the only door in and out of the house so it gets quite a lot of use! :D

Do you know the brand name of the stuff you describe - I'm in France and we don't have Joann's here :cry:

Thanks!

K x
    K...do you think it could be 'insulbrite' or something like that, it's what they use for pot holders etc......possibly :roll:

http://www.warmcompany.com/ibpage.html

I made a door quilt, I used an old wool blanket inside. I wanded it heavy to keep out winter drafts. I hung coat hooks at the top and have a rod about the size of a broomstick to use for hanging. I have metal conduit for my big window. I used to have a very large cat who liked to jump. if you search under door quilt , I posted a pictur

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/609.page

I think Izy's idea of adding the quilt to the outside on the doorway alcove is right on target.

Attached you will find two views of the quilts I made for the west window in my sewing area. Cotton muslin as the backing, Warm and Natural cotton batting, and 100% cotton on the front. They cut down on the summer heat while letting in some daylight. Also, I have found them useful in the winter to provide a bit of relief from the harsh winter, even though the windows are triple glazed!

Notice daylight
    Name:  Attachment-26477.jpe
Views: 35
Size:  42.5 KB

Window quilts to west window 2008 after remodeling
    Name:  Attachment-26478.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  46.5 KB

I wonder if you could do this: Make a two sided quilt and hang it on a hanger that is hinged... night time it would hang over your door and then in the morning swing it back to the wall.

You could put a hanger of some sort next to the door to lodge the rod on to help hold up the quilt and a similar hanger on the wall where it would be during the day.

It's a good idea but I wouldn't know where to begin with a roman shade! In summer, the light wouldn't be a problem but in winter I do like to let it all in!

K x
    For the Roman Shade, just sew pockets on the outside back of the quilt (like you would for hanging a quilted wall hanging) about every eight or 10 inches. Sew the tape with cafe curtain plastic circles, then run your curtain cord through the loops at each pocket edge. You'll be able to raise it and lower it for light into the room and it will keep it from fading or falling apart from drying out in the sun.

It's really not as hard to do as it sounds and you can use dowel rods from hardware store in the pockets to make it fold up. You could always use a good quality flannel to line your quilt for summer and winter. That is light weight and would give you more flexibility maybe.

Good sewing vibes off to you by mail!
    Sharon

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Ruth and Susan, I love your quilts but don't tell ssshhh, don't tell my DH - he thought he'd had an original idea and was really pleased with himself, keeps askin 'what do the ladies on your forum think of my idea then?' Bless him! :D It looks like you used curtain tape on the back but not gathered up, like Izy said? I like the look of the chunky wooden curtain rings, that's how I'll do it, I think!

Mamagus, I see where you're coming from and it would be great but I don't think there's room there to do that, swung back it would cover a radiator; :?

Sharon, thanks for the info on the roman shades - I've copied and pasted it safely away where (hopefully!) I can find it again when I get to the living room windows :wink:

K x

Izy
    K....Susan's pole was exactly what I was envisaging.....go on what's stopping you...off you go, get finding the fabs :lol: Will it be done by tea time?????

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    K....Susan's pole was exactly what I was envisaging.....go on what's stopping you...off you go, get finding the fabs :lol: Will it be done by tea time?????
    Last night I worked out my pattern and yardage and I'm just about to go online and spend some money... want to get some more of the moda fabrics from house of patchwork that are 5 pounds a metre - think the sale ends today so better get a wriggle on!

Yes it will be finished by teatime - not tellin' which day tho'! :D

K x

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast