Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Quilt Design Software

  1. #1
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    Question?

    I am a rather new quilter, but have been contemplating asking for Quilt design software for Christmas. I see that there is EQ6, 1-2-3 Quilt, and Quilt Pro. Is it too soon for me to even consider this type of software and which do you more seasoned quilters think is the best software for the money.
    I would appreciate any input/insight, and reasons for your preference.
    Thanks so much everyone in advance!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lecanto, FL
    Posts
    57
    HI,

    I'm a new quilter also and I after lots of research on software I purchased EQ-6.

    I am still doing the lessons in it but I am so glad I did purchase it because I can see where it will help me a lot.

    But everyone is different, so it is probably a personal choice.


  3. #3
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks,

    I have trouble with color combo's and such and think it would go a long way in helping me with that aspect, if nothing else because I can audition fabric colors.

  4. #4
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    I bought Quilt Wizard for around $30. It's nothing like EQ-6, but it's fun to play with. It has a variety of fabrics you can put in the designs. I would love to get my hands on the EQ because I've heard so many wonderful things and have seen images of what it can produce, but it's too expensive at this point. Let us know what you decide.

  5. #5
    Senior Member hokieappmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Question?

    I am a rather new quilter, but have been contemplating asking for Quilt design software for Christmas. I see that there is EQ6, 1-2-3 Quilt, and Quilt Pro. Is it too soon for me to even consider this type of software and which do you more seasoned quilters think is the best software for the money.
    I would appreciate any input/insight, and reasons for your preference.
    Thanks so much everyone in advance!
    Also check out the blog above this: EQ6 - pros and cons.

  6. #6
    Super Member leaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,199
    Blog Entries
    28
    I have 1,2,3, quilt, quilt pro, and EQ I never use 123 quilt or quilt pro, for my money EQ is by far the best, just my 2 cents. :)

  7. #7
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks all. L
    I am leaning toward EQ. Since I am going to ask hubby for it for Christmas, I have a feeling he will also. He is a techy and a firm believer in getting technology that grows or accomdates your skills as they grow. Course I'm sure he will research the heck out of it first as he did before he strongly encoraged me to buy my Bernina. I was leaning toward a less expensive model saying I could always upgrade and he said if u r going to upgrade just get it now. He is definitely a keeper! Thanks for the input. You all r wonderful.

  8. #8
    Senior Member hokieappmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Thanks all. L
    I am leaning toward EQ. Since I am going to ask hubby for it for Christmas, I have a feeling he will also. He is a techy and a firm believer in getting technology that grows or accomdates your skills as they grow. Course I'm sure he will research the heck out of it first as he did before he strongly encoraged me to buy my Bernina. I was leaning toward a less expensive model saying I could always upgrade and he said if u r going to upgrade just get it now. He is definitely a keeper! Thanks for the input. You all r wonderful.
    What Bernina do you have? I recently upgraded to the new 830, but haven't had much play time on it yet. I was wondering what kind of quilting software, if any, came with it. I haven't looked at version 6 yet though. EQ6 sounds like a great hint for my husband to get me for Christmas too. He's a keeper too.

  9. #9
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    I just got a 44QE in June and then purchased the embroidery module in July. I am in love! Of course my DH would have an 830 for me if he could manage it without selling our first born! lol Enjoy your 830 hokieappmom, I bet the sky is the limit with that baby!
    One good thing about being a quiltaholic, is that we certainly are easy to buy for!!! :D

  10. #10
    Super Member eparys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    2,230
    I purchased Jenny Haskins "Perfect Quilt Express" - It was not expensive, but does not do all that I wished it did. I now wish I had waited and bought EQ6.

  11. #11
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    You may be disappointed in what the cheaper versions won't let you do compared to EQ...I bought EQ6 and have not been one bit disappointed in it!!! Yes it is more expensive, but if you can afford it, it's worth every penny IMHO :D :D :D

  12. #12
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I have quilt wizard and I enjoyed it, but after I got EQ6 I haven't touched it. You may not need all the bells and whistles on EQ now, but you will soon. Bypass the cheaper programs and go with EQ. You will love it.

  13. #13
    Super Member SharonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,551
    My vote is EQ6. I love it! It's so versatile and you can download fabrics so you can build a "virtula stash" to audition fabrics...which really helps me since I'm so picky about what goes and what doesn't. I also like the option of rotary cutting, PP, templates, etc. I will never live long enough to make all the quilts I want so by designing them it makes me feel like I'm getting closer. :) :)
    Oh, I forgot--there's 24/7 tech support :)

  14. #14
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks for all the info. One more, probably silly question...
    You still have to know how to put the individual blocks together on your own...right?
    Sounds dumb, but I just want to make sure. :oops:

  15. #15
    Super Member SharonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,551
    You don't get indepth instructions like in a magazine/book, but if you look at the paper piecing section it tell you how you'd group the block and you can do that with template or rotatary. Hope this makes sense.

    Edited: You also have a notecard on every block that will tell you if the block is beginner, intermediate, etc. Which gives you the opportunity to chose the level of difficulty.

  16. #16
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    Yes it does.

    Once again, thanks, you folks are wonderful!

  17. #17
    Super Member ScubaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Puget Sound, Wa. State
    Posts
    2,181
    Nursie,
    I first purchased Quilt Wizard and quite quickly grew out of that!
    It was a nice taste of a desining program though.
    I hemmed and hawwed about the money for EQ6...I don't use it that much but I do love it...whether it is a block I want to make or a complete quilt, it is a dream.
    I also love the EQ6 group where they have fun challenges and lessons.
    EQ6 to is money well spent learning this obession.
    Kirsten

  18. #18
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    Quote Originally Posted by KO24
    Nursie,
    I first purchased Quilt Wizard and quite quickly grew out of that!
    It was a nice taste of a desining program though.
    I hemmed and hawwed about the money for EQ6...I don't use it that much but I do love it...whether it is a block I want to make or a complete quilt, it is a dream.
    I also love the EQ6 group where they have fun challenges and lessons.
    EQ6 to is money well spent learning this obession.
    Kirsten
    Your story sounds just like mine. Quilt Wizard is OK to start with. It gives you a taste of designing. But now I wish I had just started with EQ.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.