Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt as desired"...Aarrgh! >

"Quilt as desired"...Aarrgh!

"Quilt as desired"...Aarrgh!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 PM

The book "Quilting Makes the Quilt" is available on Amazon if you can't find it locally.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Another book showing different quilting patterns for the same top is Machine Quilting Solutions by Christine Maraccini. The thing I like is that she gives practical reasons for choosing the type and design choices.
I used this book extensively when I first started FMQ-ing. She provides alot of help with how to "read" your quilt and then quilt it- she has diagrams with arrows- this is a great book and I highly recommend it.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Another book showing different quilting patterns for the same top is Machine Quilting Solutions by Christine Maraccini. The thing I like is that she gives practical reasons for choosing the type and design choices.
Love this book...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 PM

I agree with you SoSewSue. To me the quilting does make the quilt. However, I am too inexperienced to pick a design that will enhance my quilts. It would indeed be nice to have place to see the same quilt quilted in several different patterns.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM

Quilt as desired often has me picturing the person who coined the phrase stretched out on the quilting frame....LOL When I first embarked on this adventure called quilting, I thought I was going to learn how to quilt --- the designs and stitches I remember on Grandma's quilts and the friends of hers. etc. Imagine my surprise in a quilt class when we pieced --granted I need to perfect my straight sewing and my scant 1/4 seams, however at the time we were told to "quilt as desired" --- to a newbie that is throwing a baby out into shark infested waters. Needless to say it was many moons later that I got reaquainted with the quilting adventure. Latest trick I am trying in the quilting after piecing is to draw a design on Press and Seal plastic wrap with Sharpie then put it on my sample sandwich and follow the design. I will try pounced chalk marks nest. This is adventure on a budget and I get some nice Placemats to give as gifts.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I agree that a happy medium would be to have just one suggestion on how to quilt it with each pattern for those of us who simply cannot come up with a quilting idea no matter how hard we try, along with "or quilt as desired" for those of us who have our own ideas of how to finish up.
I wholeheartedly agree with this! There are folks like me who have no design capabilities that really appreciate suggestions. I'm a proficient piecer, I can usually figure out how most quilts are made but quilting? Hah! It would end up being one ugly quilt!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:48 AM

I get my inspiration from the fabrics in the quilt. Focus on a small part of one of the fabrics. Doodle. Make it your own style and simple enought that you feel comfortable with. Draw on the quilt with chalk, it will remove easily, to see if you like it.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:10 AM

You have had some good suggestions. The book "Free-Motion Quilting Made Easy" by Eva A. Larkin, devotes 5 pages to "What and Where to Quilt"
Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 AM

I agree. There are tons of pattern books for blocks but where are the ones for actual "quilting" patterns? Come on folks get with the program & get some done.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:40 AM

I agree. The quilting can make or break the end result of your quilt.
They should offer more ideas and/or pics on patterns.
Not assume all quilters are experts.
There's a lot of newbies like me out there.
Owning a longarm - only in my dreams!