Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt as desired"...Aarrgh! >

"Quilt as desired"...Aarrgh!

"Quilt as desired"...Aarrgh!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
That's why I like American Patchwork & Quilting and Quiltmaker magazines. They show a quilting diagram. I can't execute many of the designs as well as the quilter in the magazine but at least it gives me something to aim for.
I agree American Patchwork & Quilting does show quilting designs. That gives you some ideas, and lots of guru quilters have books out. Pam Clarke has a really good one. And if you ever get a chance to take some LA classes, they are helpful.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM

Amazon has oodles of pattern and how-to books - and just as idea for the pinecone, you might try doing a Google 'image" search for pinecone for pictures. Some are line drawings.

Idea: And how tracing a proposed design onto a transparent sheet protector - that way you could lay it or several over your quilt to audition. Then trace the selected design onto thin paper or however you want to transfer it to your quilt.

Marysewfun
Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 AM

I think that because there are so many choices for quilting patterns, there isn't one right way. Leah Day has books and many videos available to see. (daystyledesigns.com). It depends on what you like: more traditional or a more hand drawn look. As far as what I've seen many times, if your blocks are straight lines, like a Log Cabin block, then quilt with curvy lines. The opposite if curved lines in your blocks, then straight lines for the quilting. There are so many choices out there and who's to say all the patterns have been discovered? They haven't - you can come up with a new one yourself. One thing I have noticed when studying quilts that have won at large shows. They have intense quilting on them. The amount of thread on them is sometimes more interesting to look at than the blocks used to create the quilt. Another thought to solve this problem of quilt as desired. Many times if I have a printed fabric in the blocks, I'll take an image from that and create a quilting pattern from that. Or if a shape emerges from the combinations of the blocks, I'll use that. Just an idea to try. Whatever you do, practice drawing on paper or a dry erase board, until you are comfortable with it and your brain wraps around that design. Then practice on some fabric sandwiches before you tackle your quilt.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SoSewSue View Post
Please let me rant for a moment...

What is with all the "quilt as desired" instructions? Patterns go to great lengths to tell you what fabric / colour/ size and method you should use to assemble the quilt top and then 38 instruction steps later say "quilt as desired". As if whatever you do from now on won't really make a difference. Magazine patterns often state (from my observations) "quilt was quilted with an overall stipple" when clearly (if you tilt the picture just so...) it wasn't. It's like half of the whole quilt making process is getting swept under the carpet. (yes I realise that fabric companies sponsor most patterns and once the top is made they are happy - but surely the quilting industry / art form is more advanced than that by now).

I realise it is very trendy right now to say there are no quilt police and you should do want you want - but this supposes that I understand all the options - and the resulting effect of each option. From my limited observations (being a very new quilter ) - it appears to me that quilt designs can make or break a quilt top. Sometimes the designs enhance and sometimes they overpower and sometimes they totally let down the quilt top - yet I struggle to find any kind of analysis of what works with which design - or better yet the impact or effect a quilt design has on a certain pattern.

Is there a source / book / guru / divine light that can help me with this ? I dream of a book which shows many different pieced patterns done with multiple quilt designs so one can see the impact of different quilting styles.

Or am I over-analysing /over-agonising and it really won't make that much of a difference ?
huhhuhhuh...(breathing hard after all that reading, lol)...don't mind me...I am a yack-in-the-box too...um...that's not meant to be taken offensively, LOL...but I do digress!!!

If I "quilted as desired", I would have the hands of a professional artist and the fingers of angels and my quilts would be breathtaking
....hmmm, maybe some of them are, lol,...but I want it to be in a "GOOD" way, lol!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
That's why I like American Patchwork & Quilting and Quiltmaker magazines. They show a quilting diagram. I can't execute many of the designs as well as the quilter in the magazine but at least it gives me something to aim for.
here! here! that's what I'm talkin' bout!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 AM

One of my biggest pet peeves, too! I'm a quilting newbie & it's hard enough making everything come out square let alone having to come up with my own quilting design. There's a ton of inspiration on the net & You Tube that has helped me some. Leah Day, Patsy Thompson & Sharon Schamber are the ones I've found most helpful. Alex Anderson's books are really good too.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:16 AM

@ Mousie ........ LOL!!! You are too funny and so true!!!!

Last edited by JReadman; 03-15-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:20 AM

You have that right. I've had quilters that used my quilt's as their pallet for displaying their quilting. Now they do alot better than I could but it does bother me a bit.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM

I think another reason for "quilt as desired" is...do they do patterns for hand quilting or for longarm? I do not hand quilt at all, but do longarm quilting as part of my living. The patterns I use would be useless for someone doing hand work, but, would not do stitch in the ditch on my LA except in small areas. All of us had to start some where when learning to piece our tops (books, classes, friends, etc.). There are so many books, videos, patterns, etc. available to everyone for ideas on quilting. Guess maybe I enjoy all of the creative parts of quilting so like to pick my own fabrics and quilting patterns. JMHO
Brenda
Old 03-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Also my sticking point and the reason my sewing room is full of tops.Yikes;I have become a topper.