Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Fight! >

Quilt Fight!

Quilt Fight!

Old 01-26-2020, 09:30 AM

Your bed runner turned out beautifully! Good for you for persevering! My project that I was so enthusiastic about at the beginning and just wanted it done by the end was a jigsaw puzzle quilt. I chose two techniques that were new to me in the same quilt - my mistake. It’s done now and I love the result but in the middle of it I strongly disliked it. It sat for a while until I was ready to finish it. I certainly know how you feel.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by dicueto View Post
So there she is, Got it done this morning...Finally! It was supposed to be a queen size quilt, but this will be just fine, it might work out even better, actually, since if I made the queen, I'd have no fabric left over for accessories. This project was such a life sucker! But I'm happy now, AND I have my life back! Thank you all for your kind words, and for sharing your stories with me. If anyone is interested, I'd love to see your beastly projects that you fought and won<3
I think its quite pretty...and IMHO it might have been a bit saccharine Laura Ashley if it was a full sized bed quilt. Runner and a few pillow shams adds a touch of sweet without too much.

Gave away a wonky log cabin yesterday. I was never going to finish it. Person apparently has a thing for rooster and all my blocks have a rooster, cow or sheaf of wheat at center. I just wasn't happy with how it was coming out. Glad to give it away.

Another Pain project- sailboats from Ahoy Sailor quilt patterns from Suzy Quilts . Painful!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-26-2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: language
Old 01-26-2020, 10:14 AM

It always sounds good at the time "oh this will be so fun to make and I'll learn something new! I mean, how hard can it be?" LOL! I've decided from now on to plan these puppies out from beginning to end, quilting, borders, border quilting, all of it. I normally just go with it to see what will fit, but this one taught me a hard lesson!
Old 01-26-2020, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

That turned out gorgeous!
I have a couple of quilts that are giving me fits and I don't want to deal with them at the moment so I put
them away.
One came out beautifully but my machine quilting is horrible!!! I don't know what I'm going to do but for now
it's in a pile lol
Old 01-26-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
That turned out gorgeous!
I have a couple of quilts that are giving me fits and I don't want to deal with them at the moment so I put
them away.
One came out beautifully but my machine quilting is horrible!!! I don't know what I'm going to do but for now
it's in a pile lol
Thank you so much! I know how what you mean with the quilting. Everybody says it just takes practice, which I agree, but It takes me so long to piece a quilt, I don't have time to practice! LOL! I usually just stitch in the ditch because I'm afraid to mess up by using anything more "outside of the box." But I'm sure If you finished it, it'd look just lovely
Old 01-26-2020, 05:23 PM

About 11 years ago, I was working on a paper piece quilt for a very dear Japanese friend, with a pagoda, ginger jar, kimono, and lantern in each large "section", there was 1 lantern pattern that just did NOT want to be made, so as a result, there weren't too many of that pattern in the completed quilt. I luckily got it completed and to my friend for Christmas that year, but unfortunately she had just been diagnosed with a particularly aggressive form of stomach cancer and died in May, but I did get to meet her brother and family from Japan and it is now in Japan.

My advice is if the project fights you every time, put it aside for awhile, and do something else and come back later, and it will probably be willing to cooperate. LOL
Old 01-26-2020, 07:33 PM

That looks so beautiful! I have a stained-glass window in my house with a very similar look to it.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:34 AM

You are definitely not alone - I've also had discouraging moments with projects. The main thing is that you didn't give up. Sometimes it's good to take a break when you make a mistake and go back to it when you're refreshed. I also found, in my experience, that when I'm getting tired, I have to stop and take a break or I'll make mistakes.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:24 PM

Your quilt is really beautiful!!!!
Old 01-31-2020, 07:38 AM

I'm currently quilting a baby quilt that I've named "Murphy's Dog" - because of everything that went wrong with it (and it has a puppy appliqued on it). I still don't know exactly how I'm going to finish the quilting, but I'm determined to finish the stinker and move on!

And I love your bed runner - so pretty!!