Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt First or Applique First? >

Quilt First or Applique First?

Quilt First or Applique First?

Old 12-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Quilt First or Applique First?

I am doing this pattern from Missouri Star called Finish Line and I will be quilting straight lines in the ditch and then in the middle of each strip on my mid arm.
I am thinking that I should do the quilting before I put the leaves on...it would make it a lot easier than if all the leaves are in the way. Then, I will Steam a Seam Lite 2 the leaves on and do a button hole stitch around them.
Does anyone see a problem doing it this way?
Jenny did an all-over quilting pattern so she put the leaves on and then did the quilting.
Here is the link Finish Line Quilt
Watson
Old 12-23-2020, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Great Idea!!!!
The leaves will look so much better if outlined quilted, than using an allover quilting design.

I do see a couple of potential hitches ... but not insurmountable!!

* With the quilting already done, would the Steam-A-Seam "fight" with it? Meaning, the flatness that the SAS wants vs. the poof that the quilting would have; then wanting the leaves smooth and even stitched in place.

* Are you content with the blanket stitch showing on the back, with the lines running through?

I'm thinking you have already accepted the backside quilting effect. For the SAS challenge, I'd make a placemat, runner or WHY, to check the technique before making the "real" quilt! Maybe I am overthinking this, but I'd sooner check it out than to say later, "Now what am I going to do?"

Look forward to seeing what develops with this one!
Old 12-23-2020, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

If you match the thread colour to the backing fabric, it would be less noticeable.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:55 PM

I personally would put the applique first and then stitch around it when I came to it in the quilting of the quilt. Just my thought.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I personally would put the applique first and then stitch around it when I came to it in the quilting of the quilt. Just my thought.
I would do it this way also.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:56 PM

It also depends on the batting. If you are using a poly or poly blend batting, it might melt when you iron down the leaves. (ask me how I know.) Personally, I would applique first and then quilt. Also, it would be easier to maneuver just the top for the applique as compared to the whole sandwich.

Altho, if you decide to hand applique, you could quilt first and make sure that you are not stitching down thru the sandwich while appliqueing the leaves.

Pretty pattern.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:34 PM
mkc

While I think you could definitely add the applique after quilting, I think it could look better in the end to do the applique first then quilt. This would let you outline the applique pieces to make them pop, and would also give you a more decorative look to the quilting on the back (since you would see the overall design created by the applique on the back).
Old 12-23-2020, 03:50 PM

I use steam a seam 2 a lot.
what I usually do is stitch the applique on before I make my quilt sandwich. Then you have a couple options. You can use invisible thread to do your stitch in the ditch or (preferred)go right around the applique when you come to it.

if you are waiting to put the applique on until the quilt sandwich is basted i would do the stay stitching. Then I would stitch the applique on. I would probably FMQ the applique on instead of blanket stitch, depending on what my blanket stitch looks like for three layers. I would match top and bottom thread or use invisible (monopoly) thread in the bobbin only. Invisible thread doesn’t work when you use it in both.

Your quilt your way!
Old 12-23-2020, 05:01 PM

I'd probably applique first but that's me cause I like to quilt around the edges so that the applique pops. But I do hear you not wanting to have tons of stops/starts. One way that you might handle that is to actually do couple of back stitches when you come to the applique, lift needle and then "skip" over the applique and put needle down and do a couple of small stitches and proceed with quilting---then you can trim the loop of thread left over the applique after you finished. Pretty cool quilt!
Old 12-23-2020, 05:08 PM

I would definitely do the background quilting first and then "appliquilt" the appliqué pieces down. I don't have a sample here right now to show you, but it works so much better than having to start & stop at every leaf. Maybe try googling to see if a youtube comes up? I'll have a look as well.

I did find one youtube called Quilt Before you Applique by Chatterbox quilts, not a huge lot of info, but interesting to watch....it seems I always learn something.

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 12-23-2020 at 05:28 PM.