Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilt in the freezer...

Quote Originally Posted by chiles View Post
    I use the washable Crayola markers (for kids) and have never had a problem with them not washing out of a quilt.
    I did this for MANY quilts and worked perfectly.

A local quilt shop carries the pens but the other day I noticed a big hand made sign by the pens saying "only use on paper", they were busy so I couldn't ask why they added the sign.

Thanks for all the info.

Great information but I'll stick to my Sewline pen thank you...I love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I agree completely with this. My concern isn't that I'm sending a quilt to an Eskimo who might see my quilt markings, my concern is what remains in the fibers after the ink is ironed "out".
    This is one of my concerns, too, along with the fact that I live where it is frequently below the 14F 'minimum temperature' at which the markings reappear...as do the people I give quilts to (yet, to the best of my knowledge, there are no Eskimos in New Hampshire).

Frixion pens have never been recommended for fabric use by the manufacturer and if they don't have enough confidence in their product to do that, I sure don't. Sticking with my trusty Sewline ceramic pencil which WAS made for fabric use. To each their own, like so many other decisions in quilting.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Do they make a color that will show up on dark denim? I want to do an embroidery design on a denim shirt for my "bestest friend" and can't find anything that will show up. If lines came back faintly, it wouldn't really matter!

Blog Entries
    I took about 20 different unwashed fabric scraps and randomly sewed them together. I marked on them with my frixion pen, ironed and froze them. It came bak light but there. Reironed and washed them and it was gone from most of the fabrics. I have noticed on some darkish fabrics it will leave a whitish line when it irons out. So far the white line has washed out for me.

THANK YOU for taking the time, energy and effort to do the research. I'm sure many of us appreciate it, even if we don't answer this thread.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Interesting thread! I remember coming onboard as an excited newbie after I learned about Frixxon pens at a quilt show. Then I found out they left a white line on my dark fabrics after washing. Now I see someone posted those wash out -- thank you for experimenting. I guess I would have to wash again.

The question about what chemicals are in there which might cause the reappearing line, whether on dark fabric or put in the freezer, is a good one.

In any case, I used a pencil for the markings on my last quilt. Someone had shared a thread about all the stubby pencils her hubby uses to mark. I rubbed it right off without even washing it.

Someone asked, "What is the point of using them?" I guess the point is the point. You can make a precise mark.

My quilts will never go in a show or to a customer. I just sew for myself but I only use the Frixxion pen on the back of the fabric "just in case".
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maire View Post
    A local quilt shop carries the pens but the other day I noticed a big hand made sign by the pens saying "only use on paper", they were busy so I couldn't ask why they added the sign.
    I wonder if that quilt shop could be in Monroeville PA. At the Quilt Expo held out there they had a booth and had those pens "with the same sign" but the reason was, they explained, was that they got a shipment of the right brand but the wrong kind of pen...not the erasable ones. I can't think of the name of the shop but it was very close to the Expo Mart where the Sewing Expo was held. I see you are from PA but not what area. Pat (from Pittsburgh)

thanks for the research. I've seen some pros & cons on these pens, one being about the colder temp bringing back the ink. Very faint, I can live with that.

Glad you shared! When I use my marking pens, I've had excellent luck with it all washing out the first time. I line dry after it's washed - no signs of any markings at all....

Quote Originally Posted by PghPat View Post
    I wonder if that quilt shop could be in Monroeville PA. At the Quilt Expo held out there they had a booth and had those pens "with the same sign" but the reason was, they explained, was that they got a shipment of the right brand but the wrong kind of pen...not the erasable ones. I can't think of the name of the shop but it was very close to the Expo Mart where the Sewing Expo was held. I see you are from PA but not what area. Pat (from Pittsburgh)
    Ah ah-you are right, same place same sign, now I know the reason, small world. I live just 15 min. from Expo & that shop, loved the expo-was there every min. it was open & often go to the shop. Since I mostly just have small purchases I try not to interrupt them when they are busy with a customer Are you an ASG member?
    Maire

I have used the pens for quite awhile and love them. I do not have a problem after ironing them with the lines still visible. I purchase mine at Staples.

Blog Entries
    I wonder, if the pen leaves a white trace on dark fabric but then washes out, couldnt that be used for an advantage for marking a dark quilt top?????
    shaz
    Shaz

Quote Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
    Do they make a color that will show up on dark denim?
    I think you'd have the best luck using the green, purple, orange or pink fluorescent Frixion highlighters for the dark fabrics - that's what shows up best on the quilts I've made, anyway. Better than my Sewline ceramic mechanical pencils. You don't get the fine line with the highlighter, though.

Ok ...so those who do not like the fixion pen, could you please let me know what you do like to use. I have only done free motion quilting or stitch in the ditch because I am unsure of what to use ..
    thanks ladies

Just use a simple #2 pencil.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Fun for grandchildren too. I've written notes - plain ol' paper - and ironed them. I send them to the kids with a sticky note telling them to put it in the freezer. Of course they are quite impressed. Then - have mom iron the note again. I sent them each their own Frixion pens eventually.

So there are Frixion pens that do work and don't work...as in are for paper only? I'm just catching on to these pens. Can someone tell me what kinds there are and which ones not to use on fabric? I'm thinking of using them on quilts for my grandkids, etc. that will be used all the time and will probably never become heirlooms, so who cares about what the marks will do 30 yrs. from now. (I hope the quilts are loved to death by then.) Are Frixion pens erasable pens? Someone mentioned highlighters too. I'm getting from different posts that Frixion makes a variety of pens and I thought there was only one, but then I haven't shopped for them either. What do I buy to mark light fabrics and dark fabrics?
    Thimble and Thread

MarthaT, Pilot makes three types of Frixion gel pens...a fine point, a ball/roller point, and a highlighter. All are erasable on paper, but there is no mention of use on fabric made by the company. They are intended for use on paper and that's how they are marketed by Pilot. On paper, the thermo-sensitive gel markings "erase" from the friction of rubbing with an eraser. Quilters have 'adopted' them, just as they adopted Orvus (a shampoo for horses) and many other products.

I can't/won't tell you what to buy for your quilts, but personally I use a Sewline ceramic pencil with either white or gray lead depending on the fabric I'm marking.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    personally I use a Sewline ceramic pencil with either white or gray lead depending on the fabric I'm marking.
    This is what I use as well.

Frankly, I am happy that there is another source for marking my quilt. Sometimes you need something that will show up. I am not against pencils etc. for marking either. I just think there are appropriate times for everything--even the Frixion pens, and I was very happy when my sister sent me one for Christmas.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I've used the frixion love it.just iron it off

why would you put a quilt inthe freezer in the first place??????? One of those thangs that make me go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast