Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guild - Pro and Con >

Quilt Guild - Pro and Con

Quilt Guild - Pro and Con

Old 08-16-2011, 06:08 AM

I belong to a quilt group which has opted not to seek guild status for a number of reasons that I don't need to go into here. I should say, however, that I rather like the fact that it's not a guild. Since the structure is more informal, we are less tightly organized than guilds I have belonged to before. The downside is that we don't have access to the wonderful speakers and classes that guilds can sometimes arrange. I'd recommend that you do it. The support you will receive from fellow guild members an, above all, you own skill building, will be enough of a payback for membership. Add to that the fellowship and the fun and it's a sure winner.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 AM

I tried and found that the little groups within the big group were very hard to get into!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I truly believe that with (almost) any guild, you will get out of it what you put into it. I belong to a large guild and a small guild, and both have their advantages. I enjoy participating in both.
Exactly - I've found this with every group I've worked with - from Home & School Associations (PTA) to quilt guilds.

When I joined the guild I'm currently with, I knew no one there. I'm *not* an outgoing, scmhoozing type, and am very uncomfortable in groups. But my objective was to learn, and I also found they were looking for some of the skills I have (website) so it's working for us all!

And I've found what could have been perceived as cliquish - and some of the most brusque demeanours, are also some of the nicest folks - they're just abrupt!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 AM

I'm not much on organized groups. The local guild is very nice and has some lovely ladies and gents involved, but I don't want to be on committees. I prefer classes at local shops and retreats. I seem to get more from that. Everyone is different. Try it out for yourself and see if it fits for you! The worst that can happen is that you won't like it and don't have to return.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
Every guild is different. You will just have to visit and see if it 'fits'. There used to be a quild in my town, but they did not want any new members so I probably wouldn't have liked it anyway. I don't have any local quilters to share things with. This board is my guild.
This board is my guild too. My local guild has a waiting list so I think they may be pretty selective and the next nearest is about 30 miles. Too far for winter evening meetings.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 AM

My guild meets tonight. I am in the middle of moving across town and it really is unexpected and it is the first move in almost 20 years. My sewing room alone gave people heart failure when they saw what had to go. But I am going to my guild meeting tonight no matter how busy I am. I did not join one for years because I feared the snobs, perfectionists and quilting police. They are not part of Raincross Guild. We have several surrounding guilds that are in easy driving distance as I am in so cal and maybe they all go to one of the others but they are not at my guild. I do not always do everything they do but I love it and have lots of fun. I found someone here that lives near me and she is now attending the guild tonight for the third time. Better get moving now.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 AM

I just joined one this last year to learn from the professionals that come to teach. I had several friends already in the guild so made it a little easier. Our guild is big, over 300 so most of the people already have their friends and kind of stick with them.That is OK with me as I have friends too. I try to go back and great any new people so they feel welcome! Advantage, you get to see lots of beautiful quilts and learn new techniques from professional quilters. Negative, there can be cliques.
Originally Posted by teddysmom
I'm thinking about finding a Guild to join. What are the advantages? Any disadvantages?
:wink:
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM

I have joined the local guild this year -- very large, very active -- there are many charitable activities to participate in, as one wishes, and bees to join for weekly or so sewing -- I love the monthly speakers and the show-and-tell part -- I also get to visit with my quilting buddy and meet new quilters -- my experience has been positivie as it is a participate-as-much-as-you-wish organization -- hope you will enjoy your guild -- give it a try!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM

The guild I belong to is 170 strong!! It is a wonderful place to learn and share. We have a program for new members and this seems to help. Just go with the idea that this will be a good experience!!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM

I belong to one very large guild - hard to break in as they all have their little groups --- but I go for the classes which are great! Top name instructors. I am also going to join a much smaller guild that is very friendly.
Both do charity work. Both have great show and tells.

I also belong to a Church Bee- they are fantastic!