Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guild - Pro and Con >

Quilt Guild - Pro and Con

Quilt Guild - Pro and Con

Old 08-16-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
Guilds definatly have their pros & cons. If it is a large one, but has smaller evening groups, you can probably find a great group of people to meet w/& share ideas. I've found SOME can be kinda cliqueish(?), especially in larger cities. I've heard a few negative comments on here about a some.

But that said, I belonged to one many years ago that was great, very supportive, sharing & helpful - this board reminds me of a lot of the ladies in that one. However, it was in a rural area & after moving from there many years ago, I tried a guild in a larger city & found out they were somewhat on the snobbish side & had A LOT of 'quilt police'. Now I don't belong to one.

All are different & you'll never know till you visit one a few times. You may find a group of people who become a 'second family' to you.

Good luck & happy quilting
Very well put, and I agree, some are 'for you', some won't be. Try a few if available. Might just be a perfect fit, but go a few times before you decide. Have fun.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:05 PM

I have belonged to three guilds and they were different. One was great until the clique formed. I was very active and all, but didn't like the problems with the "clique", so I quit. I then joined a new guild, but we moved soon after, so didn't get much use out of it. I joined one here in Ocala, but they were down right rude to me, so I quit after attending several meetings. I probably won't join another because of these problems. I like to get involved and they didn't want me to "interfere" with the way they were doing things.

Go and see how you feel about the group. Try to get involved with their activities and see if you fit. I'm sorry to say, but old ladies are as bad as teenagers about new people!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:29 PM

I do not belong to a guild. However, when going to the LQS, they always ask if you belong to a guild. Belonging gives you a small discount. Why? Why do I have to join to get a discount? I'm not going to lie about. Somehow it doesn't seem fair. But what in life is?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 PM

I love my guild. We do a lot of charity work, lap quilts, turbans for cancer victims, christmas stockings, etc. Today we met to work on our raffle quilt. The raffle quilt is our only fund raiser. We have great show and tells. We try to make every one feel welcome. We will even sing Happy Birthday to you!

Hopefully you will find a friendly group to join.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
I'm thinking about finding a Guild to join. What are the advantages? Any disadvantages?

There are advantages to belonging to a guild. One is that the one I belong to has an educational/informational program at each meeting (maybe they all do this). The last one was on paper piecing and now I can't wait to give it a try. And the show and tell is usually very good - it gives a person inspiration.

I'd say try it out a few times and if it's hard for you to meet new people (like me) look for someone sitting by themselves and join them. Most are friendly but some are a bit cliquish - getting a bit involved would also help a person to get to know others.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM

I felt welcome at my first guild meeting because another QB member was there waiting for me! I'd seen a post by Jeanie (jpthequilter) and saw that she lived in the next town down the coast...one big enough to have a quilt guild. So now we're in the same guild and I see her every month!

I've enjoyed all of the meetings and found everyone friendly and welcoming. Maybe that just the small town coastal mentality, but I'm so glad I joined.

Anita
Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
Guilds definitely have their pros & cons. If it is a large one, but has smaller evening groups, you can probably find a great group of people to meet w/& share ideas. I've found SOME can be kinda cliquish(?), especially in larger cities. I've heard a few negative comments on here about a some.
Small towns can be very cliquish and don't have the numbers for multiple cliques. I found a great guild while in Florida house/pet sitting for my daughter, thanks to a wonderful quilter I met online. The best part is the bee she hosts at her home every week where 7 or so of us get together to sew, go out to lunch, shop hop and just chat. Finding a warm and welcoming heart in a fellow quilter has made a world of difference in my stay here in Florida. I am much closer to my Sew What group in just a few months then I am to my guild back home after 3 years. The guild has monthly meetings with great speakers every month...June was Bonnie Hunter :shock: who was fabulous!!! Small guilds can't afford to have speakers like her every month, so maybe you need 2 guilds!

If the first one isn't what you are looking for, keep hunting because there are wonderful guilds out there. The larger ones allow you to remain anonymous if you'd like, but they do provide opportunities to get involved in different smaller groups so you can get to know people better.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1Snowbird
I would like to join one, but I am new in town and too chicken to go alone. Sigh!
Yes-me too!! Also, I don't drive here so it makes it hard unless someone is willing to take me (DH will if I ask and pick me up), but we live in an area that it is at least 30-45 minutes away from any I am aware of. The one I was put off at was the closest-30 min.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM

One of the best parts about belonging to a guild is everyone there is interested in quilting. Most are passionate about fabric and the talent is amazing. I am not very good but learn something every month. The group I belong it to has a variety of personalities. Some are easy to talk to and others aren't so much. Some are perfectionists and some think riding by on a galloping horse is close enough inspection. They are fun to listen to and you pretty much have to speak up and visit with them before being accepted. I am very sad when I have to miss a meeting. It is always a fun experience - even when I feel like I have not participated. Just watching and listening to everyone is a joy.

We have a program each month. Sometimes the program is outstanding and then other times it is a miss but I always learn something at the meetings. I love to see the quilts members bring to show.

My suggestion is try one for a couple or three times before deciding it is not for you. You might just have a wonderful experience!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:00 PM

I have had good times with both of the guilds I belong to. One is in a small rural town about 40 minutes away, the other in a large northern city about 1 hour away.
They are both full of wonderful quilters who really do care if you come. Both have friendly people who love to sew/quilt and teach the craft.
BellaBoo said "Don't be a wall flower at your first meeting."
I agree. The guild can only welcome someone who is happy to be there, and willing to learn the group.
Quiltinvaca said "When you want to be part of a group- put yourself out there- ask what you can do."
It is a give and take in a new group. They need to know you as well as you knowing them. They can't if you sit and wait for things to come to you.
That said, the groups are as different as any group can be.