Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt guild??? >

Quilt guild???

Quilt guild???

Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 AM

By all means, go! Most guilds let you attend one meeting as a guest anyway, and since you've already sent in your dues, you're officially a member, although they're probably holding the check until you've been to your first meeting.
Make sure you talk to the membership person when you arrive.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 AM

I would go..at least this way you will get to see what they are like!! Also gives you time to cancel your check if you don't like them!!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I was contemplating becoming a member of the local quilt guild. Three weeks ago I sent them an e-mail as well as application and membership payment by snail mail. I heard nothing from them. Don't get me wrong, QB is great, but I would like to be a part of guild as well since no one I know quilts. Today is their meeting. What do I do? Can I just show up? I hope there are some experienced guild members here that can tell me if that would be OK. I am a patient person, but three weeks is a long time not to reply to an e-mail. What do you think?
You'd be surprised at the number of people that don't check their emails but once in a while. Plus they may have recently changed officers and your stuff hasn't gotten to the right person yet. Just go.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 AM

Also, Take a project or two for show & tell! That is an ice breaker and you will feel comfortable and welcome by doing so. Have fun!

Sandyn
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 AM

I know our guild has a PO Box that only gets checked once a month (day before the meeting) - this might explain the delay.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Also, Take a project or two for show & tell! That is an ice breaker and you will feel comfortable and welcome by doing so. Have fun!

Sandyn
Excellent suggestion!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 AM

Guilds are fully manned by volunteers, some more tech savvy than others. We are in transition in both guilds from one set of officers to another and even membership is in transition. Please do not expect them to be as organized as a business and show some patience with your potential fellow guild members.

I have never joined without going to one or a couple of meetings as a guest to see how the "flow" feels and whether the group does the kinds of things i am interested in. I am now the logo chairperson in one and hospitality in another. Working my way up from the bottom.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

Go to the meeting
Most Guilds get their mail through a P.O. box and it's not usually picked up regularly

Give it 2 or 3 shots before giving up on it.
I went to a Guild mtg when I first moved to NH - no one was friendly, but I kept going because I was new to NH and knew not a soul. At least here there were faces that began to look familiar and I got to be inspired and motivated by seeing the work of others.
Gals began talking to me after a couple of meetings and I have made several serious life-long friends.
I even went on to be President of the Guild for 6 years.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 AM

I would say go a few times as a guest and try not to judge the whole guild just from one meeting. I did not feel very welcome to my guild for a while...probably just depends on who you meet.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Go to the meeting. Likely the person who is responsible for memberships was sick, or out of town, or just let things go. The guild will work it out for you.