Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt guild??? >

Quilt guild???

Quilt guild???

Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM

I also say go.....remember that the guild member who is accepting membership is just a regular person like you....probably juggling a full time job and the treasurer's job. My guild has a mailbox that is only checked on a bi-weekly basis.....so the check and membership could still be in the box. My experience is that the box will probably be checked about a week before the meeting so that the board member could be up on what's happening. I love my guild and think you will too.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM

By all means, go! I couldn't imagine a a quilt guild that wouldn't welcome you. (I can also tell you that the workers in the guild are just quilters, not paid employees. They like to quilt-- so they may not be checking their email -- or their post office box -- daily (or even weekly). Once they do check, they may have to forward it...

Go, be friendly and I suspect you'll find friendship and inspiration in the guild.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM

Thank you very much for all your replies. I will go tonight to the meeting. I met two people from the guild, both in fabric stores locally. They seem very nice. I will post what happens.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:03 AM

GO!! You should be welcomed with open arms! You will never know if you will like it or not untill you try it. My guild only meets once a month. It is a 2 hr drive for me one way, but I go make a day of it so thats OK you will learn a lot and truly enjoy the companionship of other quilters who "Get You" lots of advise, when you ask. It suprised me when I realised I knew a lot already! LOL
Old 10-15-2012, 05:18 PM

Quilters, as a general rule, are warm and welcoming. I am president of our guild. My guess, is that it was just overlooked. Most members are working women, have families or just plain busy quilting, so an oversight can easily happen. Show up, if they don't put out the "Welcome Wagon" consider it a sign and move on.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM

By all means go and please share your experience with it. I belonged to three quilt guilds at one time, finally dropped out of the one for many reasons, but I love the two I am in now. It is true that they are manned by volunteers who have other day jobs be it stay at home mom or working outside of the home. I am actually treasurer of a new guild we just started a few months ago and we are still working out all the kinks. But I love going and getting inspired! Plus depending on how much the dues are were else can you get a couple of hours of entertainement for so cheap!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

I hope you went!. I joined a guild over a year ago. Just jump in and make yourself welcome. Most of the people are very welcoming.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 AM

If your talking about Smithtown Stitchers, just go to the meeting. They probably didn't pick up the mail yet and the person who got the email might not be the same person, who goes to the PO Box. I was a member for about 15 yrs. from 1992. Like you I had no friends who quilted, so I joined. Back then I found it kind of clicky. For the first 2 or 3 yrs. I went monthly and sat by myself. I'm a very friendly person, I always offered to help, smiled and said hello. It took many years to feel like I belonged. I hope things have changed, since then. It's nice to have like minded "friends" to hang out with and learn from. I learned alot from the Guild, the alway had BOM, a donation quilt or the show quilt to learn from. Where do you live? I'm in Yaphank over by South Haven Park. It's always nice to meet new quilters. ;->
Old 10-16-2012, 04:42 AM

By all means go and tell them you sent your $. Someone already said ... they may not have picked up their mail yet. My guild has POB and our treasurer picks up mail right before our meeting, so it may have been in their box awhile. Guild can provide many great learning experiences and new friends who will guide you into new experiences.

If you are fortunate enough to have a fairly large guild there will probably be many opportunities for small groups, outside speakers, trips to quilt shows ... the list is huge.

Hope you find a wonderful guild and take advantage of all the opportunities it offers.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 AM

Go and sample the "feel" of the group. Remember they are quilters and your check may just have been laid aside while the guild's treasurer is finishing just one more block! Also, whoever received your check may not have been the person who is authorized to handle the guild's checking account so it may have to travel through two or three quilting folk's hands. For this reason, I don't want to ever hold and office if I can avoid it. I'd rather be piecing!
But I love my guild members, they are so inspiring and encouraging.