Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt joural...Do you? >

Quilt joural...Do you?

Quilt joural...Do you?

Old 08-23-2022, 11:53 AM

Sort of--I'm keeping the quilt patterns I want to do in one file on my computer and the finished quilt patterns in another file. The patterns are usually a pdf file and I can move it easily. I must note that altho' it says quilt some become pillows and other household items.
Pillows are normally 1 block either enlarged or reduced in size. Household items vary depending on what I am goining to use it for. My giveaway quilts will start becoming 2-sided. Helps get my stash a bit smaller. Hopefully.
Then I come across store people that are NO help. I told you about having to purchase some fabric that started crying because i was not going to buy any!!!!! Well I finally bought 2 yards but while I was having it cut I stepped over to the thread couter and there I bought 3 spools of 100% cotton thread as I was making a mircowave placemat and needed to have the thread. When I got to the checkout everything went thru without a problem as the clerk helps put my items up as I sit in the chair and he doesn't want it to be a problem for me. WELLLLLL when I got back home I took the bag off the back of my chair and started bringing everything out. What I did not tell ya all is the lady cutting the 2 yards put almost 15 yards in my bag. Now tell me how am I supposed to reduce my stash when even the store clercks are "against" reduction of stashes. I immediately went back to the store and the manager was there. I spoke to them at the same time. The manager approved the sale of the entire bolt for the 2yard price because I needed to have something to do--I thanked them and left trying to figure out what to use that much extra fabric for--children's dresses, dolly clothes and of course more quilts.

Somebody Please explain to your store clerks that the idea of stash reduction is to help clean out the excess NOT put more in. I'll have this fabric for 2-3 years as I make the children's clothing and the dolly clothes for Christmas gifts only.

I called all 3 agencies and asked if they had a room to store excess in and all 3 said no because they do not have excess ever.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I use to keep a list of quilts I made and who got them. I don't anymore since I now mostly make donation quilts for foster kids.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:28 PM

The idea of a quilt journal sounds so good. I love those cute covers on the books. But, I have never been good at taking notes or journaling of any kind. What notes I do take really confuse me later. No idea what they mean
Old 08-24-2022, 04:31 AM

My first page in my new digital Quilt Journal for my currently in process quilt. It’s all here (even if not shown on the screenshot), the general plan, a link to the discussion on quiltingboards, the .pdf of the pattern, the excel spreadsheet I used to track fabric, photos, and hand drawn possibilities for the appliqué. I’m sure the notes and scribbles will continue to grow until I’m finished. And of course, I will add photos of the finished quilt, back and label. Thanks for the inspiration that came from this thread!
Attached Thumbnails img_1600.jpeg  
Old 08-24-2022, 04:53 AM

I'm digital. Here's a screenshot of my "Quilts" folder.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-folder.jpg  
Old 08-24-2022, 05:55 AM

One thing also to remember is that you don't want to just have the website address to the quilt pattern in the file, if that is where you got it, because as time goes on, a lot of websites are taken down, or that pattern is no longer on the website. That's why I put an actual copy of the pattern in the file.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
One thing also to remember is that you don't want to just have the website address to the quilt pattern in the file, if that is where you got it, because as time goes on, a lot of websites are taken down, or that pattern is no longer on the website. That's why I put an actual copy of the pattern in the file.
Very good point. I was careful that my only links to websites were to things that were interesting but not essential, such as discussions in quiltingboards and steps on how to draw a particular image.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:40 PM

I keep a notebook with ...well notes. Alot of time I use it to work out math, talk to myself (I'm here and struggling with this) and make notes of completion.

My first was a marble composition book (the kind used for school) but I upgraded to something a little prettier with #2
Old 08-24-2022, 02:42 PM

I have two. One is for finished quilts and the other is a studio journal where I list out what needs to be done each month including deadlines etc. and then note what has been completed or moved to another month. The studio journal also includes a list of my current UFOs, ongoing tasks and shows I'd like to enter for the year. That journal is an old hard cover composition book and I've been using it for the past 4 years.

The finished quilt journal is in a looseleaf notebook and I do a page for every quilt I finish. Each quilt page includes: an overall photo; information on kind of batting used; any special techniques that were used; finished size; date completed; and current location if known or if sold or gifted- the name of the recipient/purchaser.
Additional information for show quilts includes:
Appraisal value if the quilt was appraised. Shows it was in if it was shown and awards won.

Rob
Old 08-25-2022, 04:41 AM

I kept a yearly journal in the late 90's because I wanted to see how much I spent on books and fabric. But they were really interesting with notes and business cards on various shops we visited, shows we attended, notes on current projects, and one year how much time it took to make every Dear Jane block. That one is on the Electric Quilt Dear Jane cd/dvd. One year how much time it took to hand quilt a whole cloth quilt (600+ hours).

It's purpose clarified things, and led to much wiser book purchases, and eventually in 2001 stop buying fabric.
Purpose accomplished, the desire to keep it up evaporated.