Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt joural...Do you? >

Quilt joural...Do you?

Quilt joural...Do you?

Old 08-22-2022, 07:11 AM

Default Quilt joural...Do you?

When I was organizing my fabric, ideas kept running thru my head...pattern for THAT fab. This fab looks great with THIS fabric, and so on. So today I found a small notebook and wrote down patterns I want to do AND patterns I want to do augain. We'll have to see if this helps.

I've noticed several quilt websites are promoting Quilting Journals. Looks kinda like a diary...hmmm. How do you keep track of quilt ideas?

{{{I have to admit I have pics of possible future quilts. I just won't tell you how many pages BUT it is more than 20!!!}}}
Old 08-22-2022, 08:06 AM

I bought several lovely journals. they are still empty. I used to be so organized but now, not so much.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:40 AM

I used to jot down in my desk calendar what quilt-related tasks I had accomplished in a day, but have stopped doing that in the past year. I do keep lists of planned projects, and have photos of planned and then finished projects on the computer.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:35 AM

I just have a journal that I record quilts that I have made and finished. I write a brief description, the size it was when pieced, the size it was when quilted and the size it was after the first washing and drying which I do before giving it away. I also note the kind of material (like flannel or batik) if it is not regular quilting fabric. Also noted is the type of batting and the threads used in both the needle and bobbin. I also make a note of where it went. It has been helpful to have this record especially the shrinkage info.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:55 AM

I do a digital "journal", not paper. Too hard to print out pictures and tape/glue in a book. MUCH easier to copy/paste pictures into a digital record. Pictures include patterns, fabric requirements for patterns, inspirational photos, fabrics I like, etc. Because it's digital, I can access it from where ever I am, which makes it easy when I go on a business trip with hubby and discover there's a quilt shop 2 blocks from the hotel.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

I've never been a diary or journal type. I have received pretty quilt theme journals for gifts but never used them.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:29 AM

I have several 9 1/2 x 5 3/8 Mead notebooks that have lines on the front of the page and quad ruler on the backs of the page. I made a fabric cover for it so the notebook could be taken out when the notebook is full. I write down all lists, to dos, ufo's, guild meeting notes and general figuring layouts. I have about 6 notebooks completed thru the years. It's great to look back for ideas and inspirations.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:35 PM

I do a digital journal. I start by opening a file on my computer and put down any notes, directions that I need to do the pattern, including a copy of the actual pattern that I have scanned or a pdf copy if it came that way. Then I put a picture of the fabrics I'm using from my fabric file (I keep a file of a picture of all purchased fabrics) then I take a camera picture of the fabric on the cutting table layed together, then as I complete each step, I take a couple of pictures and add them to the file. All the pictures taken with my camera are dated, so I can follow how long I worked on it.

I don't write in it everyday like a diary. I just record the quilt process as I do it and keep notes of any problem places and how I worked through them. And I also record any changes I made, so if I want to make it again I'm good to go.

If you go digital, just remember to make backups. I lost a bunch of files when one of my computers bit the dust, and wasn't able to get the files back. The techs tried, but it was totally fried. Learned a good lesson, I did!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 08-22-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:12 PM

I have casually done a journal for the past three years. This year I got serious and use a MEAD 9 X 5 spiral notebook. I made a list of quilt goals for the year and taped it to the inside front cover. Then each month I start with monthly goals for myself. It may be UFOs, specific WIP or quilts for individuals on my list. As the month progresses I give each quilt about a page and write out my cutting plan, projected size, and a simple pencil drawing of any difficult parts. I tape small fabric samples and include manufacture/color or numbers just in case I need to get more. (This has saved my cookies a couple of times) Finally at the bottom of the page I write the date the top is finished, the date the quilt is finished and who it was given to or if I donated. Sometimes I will note how I would change the pattern or just do differently.

UFOs and WIPs get less detail but the info is there!

It has taken a while to get this routine down but now it works. I have a record of my work. Photos I save by year in folders on my computer and I date each quilt photo with the finished date and if donated or gifted.

Quiltsfor, a good idea to back up photos! Where is that extra thumb drive any way!

Loving how we all approach journaling differently. Refreshing to see all of the options.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:16 PM

I’ve been using my Notes app on my iPad for quilting design for about a year. I realized I should create a special folder for the quilting related Notes and do a better job with the titles. It’s nice to be able to add photos, links to quiltingboards discussions etc and have it all in the same place. Thanks for inspiring me in this thread!