Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilt kits -- cheaper to build your own?

Wow that is expensive. I've always wanted a kit but just coiuldn't justify what they cost. I guess if you use all quilting store fabric it wouldn't be that much more expensive but I usually get my fabric at JoAnns. Guess you just have to weigh if you want to spend that much on a quilt or if there's somewhere else that money needs to go.

Sounds like you still have to do the cutting in the kits. For me to buy one this $$$ it would have to be per cut. I make up my own per cut kits.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I have bought a couple of kits but only on sale. Regular price is too expensive. If I have the option, I buy the fabric IF the LQS will cut what I need instead of 1/2 yd minimums

I have never purchased a kit - I just think the high cost isn't justified....besides, it wouldn't be 'my creation' - that's one of the reasons I started quilting. I find a pattern I like then mix it up and make it work for me or the person it's intended for.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased some kits for table runners. One kit barely had enough fabric - if I had made a mistake cutting, there would not have been enough. But the table runner kits I have purchased from Connecting Threads are great! Even if you only need a couple of 4" squares from a piece of fabric, they send a whole FQ! The one I am working on now, I made some color changes, had enough fabric to do so and ended up with 2 FQ's totally untouched! I usually wait until the Connecting Threads kits go on clearance and find their prices very reasonable.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I have purchased several "kits". I define kits as those that are precut as well as those that just have the pattern and the necessary fabric and then you do your own cutting. In fact, most of the kits I have purchased are in the second category. I have looked at the prices and tried to figure out what it is worth to get that special fabric you want in the right category without running around and trying to find it without, probably, not much luck. I usually watch until a specfiic quilt "package" goes on sale or better yet on clearance. I am happy with the way I handle this situation.
    Last edited by DixieLee; 12-16-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Kits are going to be more expensive....you are paying for the cutting done by someone else. A basic kit with yardages of fabric will be less expensive than a kit that has smaller pieces of fabric...less cutting.

But, if you do not have fabrics in your stash, and need to shop and buy fabric, sometimes, kits can be the "better deal." You can get just the bits of fabrics you need in the kit.

I have always not been a kit person...I like my quilts to be unique...not the same colors as anyone else...maybe similar...I do have a large stash, and prefer to work from it...but may buy some of the fabrics that I see in a quilt that I love.

Quote Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
    I have fallen in love with the Vintage Rouge quilt done in soft Christmas colors. It comes in a kit, various sizes, but wow, is it expensive. (If you're curious, here's one site where it's available: http://www.fabricessentials.com/shop...%20-%20BOM.htm )
    I saw the actual quilt in a shop and it is absolutely gorgeous (the online pix don't do it justice).

Have any of you done the analysis whether you pay more for a kit than if you purchased the yardage and pattern separately? I actually wouldn't need that exact pattern, but I do love the fabrics and generally the combinations. I could do something like buy fat quarters of the fabrics and make a simple quilt, but this is truly beautiful.

Thanks in advance,
    marcia
    The kit for the king size specifies approximately 30 yards of fabric, plus the pattern for $420. All of the fabric is for sale at $12 per yard, plus shipping. $360 for 30 yards, plus $36 for pattern and $24 for kitting fee. Unless you can get the fabrics cheaper somewhere else, that's what you'd pay for making up the kit yourself - I consider the kitting fee to be in lieu of my driving to the store, using my gas, traffic, etc. There's probably at least $50 in shipping to consider also.

I buy pattern only and use my own fabric choices...I have to have that margin for error....always! Would hate
    to buy the kit and run out of fabric and I know that would be a given with me. Yes, I measure 3 times and cut
    once!

Blog Entries
    I bought a BOM from SewBiz in Indiana - I thought the price was reasonable. The expression on my friend's face when I gave it to her made the cost worth it. I bought a kit from Clotilde (after drooling over it for a year). It's only a lap quilt but I have tons of extra fabric. I also have the pattern and have made a kit in a different color way to make next year! Quilt shops work on such a narrow profit margin that it is amazing they can survive!!
    Cherylsea

I often see materials that I think are beautiful in a quilt kit, but want a different pattern. I will then go to fabric.com or other site and find a sale on for that material.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherylsea View Post
    I bought a BOM from SewBiz in Indiana - I thought the price was reasonable. The expression on my friend's face when I gave it to her made the cost worth it. I bought a kit from Clotilde (after drooling over it for a year). It's only a lap quilt but I have tons of extra fabric. I also have the pattern and have made a kit in a different color way to make next year! Quilt shops work on such a narrow profit margin that it is amazing they can survive!!
    Which quilt kit did you buy from Clotilde? How about a picture?

With the exception of Connecting Threads, I've found that (unless on sale) kits almost always cost more than yardage would. However, it can be a hassle to find all the correct colors (and I'm terrible at matching colors if I don't get what is 'called for'). Due to expense, I don't buy too many kits.

Power Poster
    First of all, that quilt is gorgeous as well as the fabric used. I personally have only bought one kit, which I'm ashamed to say I've yet to put together, but I have a friend who buys a lot of them for the convenience. Obviously you love the quilt and the fabric, so I would say go for it; sometimes we deserve something special, and to me that would be what I would get. This probably doesn't make sense, but sometimes we just need to go for it.

Blog Entries
    Kits are did innately more expensive. I try to buy more yardage so if I make a mistake I have extra.

It is a beautiful quilt and I to would be tempted. I find that BOM quilts are particularly expensive and if you order over the phone or the internet there is the added cost of shipping. Sometimes shipping is less expensive if you can order all the BOM's at once. If you love it and can afford it - treat yourself. Unfortunately, I can't let myself be tempted I have way too many kits sitting on the shelf.

I have never bought a kit. I would rather buy the yardage because I know I would mess something up and run short on fabric.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I finally just treated myself to buying the fabric kit to go along with a pattern that I just had to have. It wasn't quite as pricey as yours, but yours will be a show piece when you finsh it. I just kept remembering go from shop to shop and searching the internet for other special fabric and quilts that I fell in love with and decided to go for it. I hope you will, too. It is so beautiful and you can spend your time working on it, rather than chasing down the fabric.

Blog Entries
    A lot of quilt shops only carry part of a fabric line...if you love that fabric it may be difficult to find all the pieces.
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

I think this is a beautiful quilt and fabrics as well. $390 plus batting for a queensize quilt sounds about right to me. Yes you can do it cheaper and clip coupons till the cows come home, but would it be the same? I had almost that in the last queen size quilt I made. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the quilt kits I have bought. They were always really generous with the fabric as well. Plus the variety of fabrics was so great. Maybe Santa could help you out? If you can afford it go for it. Make it a queen because these odd size quilts that don't tuck in aren't very useful. In my own humble opinion.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I am the quilt kit queen. I love quilt kits. I go to stores and if i see a quilt on a wall I like, I ask the people there to help me make a kit just like it. I love when they have a kit of it. Usually when I buy a kit, I have extra fabric for each piece. I have never ever had the exact amount. It's always over. I always have a stash at the end. I don't like spending the time looking for all the fabric to make a quilt. I'm not great at picking out the fabrics that go together well. I just don't have an eye for it. I've done it and usually end up not liking my quilt. That's why I like quilt kits. I never buy expensive kits. I buy kits I can afford. Usually I have to purchase the back myself. I also do BOMs. I feel like I pay way too much for those. I did one and it was ridiculous how little fabric I received each month for $25.00. What a rip off. I'll never buy from that company again. But I don't feel that way about quilt kits at all. I buy them at LQS all the time. Usually the owner makes them up and doesn't make any extra for all the work she does. She's just trying to get rid of some of her fabric she has had around for a while and I always like what she's made up. JMO.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have bought quite a bit of fabric on Ebay, but never thought to search kits...HHHHMMMMM...something to do tonight??

I worked at a quilt shop for a while. Here is a little on the back side that no one sees. The owners have to consider the labor cost of cutting the fabric and preparing the kit. When creating a kit, you have to pull all the fabrics, decided how many kits to make, figure out the minimum amount of fabric for the kit, compute how much yardage is required to cut for example 600 5" blocks of twenty different fabrics, cut the fabric, separate it into each kit (hoping you don't leave anything out because of the phone calls or customers you are helping while doing this), arrange the fabric in an appealing way, print the fabric list for the package, compute the cost per kit, add in labor, price them, package them and put them on the shelves. When I purchase a kit I always check the fabric before setting in my to do box. As someone who did put kits together, I made the mistake of leaving a piece or two out of a kit. It happens. We are human. Especially when you are putting together 30 kits with say 30 different pieces of fabric. You have to look at a kit a couple of different ways. It is similar to purchasing an item from the grocery store or the convenience store. You will pay a higher price at Walgreens than say Publix. It is called "convenience" store. On the second hand: Say you have a wall hanging with 20 5" squares. You are paying for these 5" squares in 20 different colors rather than purchasing a minimum 1/8 of a yard (which is the minimum that most quilt shops sell) or a fat quarter. Add up the difference and purchasing separately adds up. Therefore the kit can be a better price. For me, I usually love the original colors in the sample and don't want to have to think about putting it together myself. Even if they sit in my to do box for a few years. I also recommend purchasing the backing at the same time or soon after. We all know what is popular today is gone tomorrow. Enjoy!
    SewMomma66 - Janome 7700 named Lucy, Pfaff Creative Vision 5.5 named Ethyl, Babylock serger named Fred, and Janome 9500 named Ricky.

If you want the exact fabrics as in the photo, it is usually cheaper to just buy the kit. If you are willing to substitute some or all of the fabrics, then it is cheaper for you to do so.

In many cases, you can't get all the fabrics at only one store. That means more expenditure in time, gas and/or shipping charges. What you are linking to is a BOM rather than a 'kit' and nearly always, you can save a lot in shipping if you just get the pattern and choose similar fabrics from one or two locations. BOMs include monthly shipping costs and often have a more significant markup.

Now, you may have trouble finding the pattern - that is often due to licensing during the course of these BOMs. If you are willing to wait a year or two, the pattern will become available. The question is 'will you still love it' in two years? If so, buy the fabric now and wait for the pattern. If not, be ready to buy a different color combo because color palettes seem to change every couple of years.

I buy a lot of kits but mostly from yahoo groups by people who bought them and don't want them anymore (lot cheaper) or on clearance from the online shops. The only kit I bought full price was the Christmas Baltimore which I am dying to start. Some of the kits have only the yardage required and some, others have the pcs cut also which makes the quilt top go fast. In all cases kits are more expensive because the makers calculate the cost of cutting. I found the per yard math in a kit to be at least $12/yard.
    You honestly have to try one kit and see how you like it then start shopping the smart way for what catches your eyes. I love the fabric choices in these kits and it helps when I need to make a fast gift and don't have time to chose and decide on fabric and pattern.
    One more thing I found out when I make a Fons and porter kit they have more fabric in the kit that what the pattern needs. I bought one for my son called the lightening strikes which calls for full but made it little bigger than queen and the fabric was big enough and turned out beautiful.
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast