Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kits -- cheaper to build your own? >

Quilt kits -- cheaper to build your own?

Quilt kits -- cheaper to build your own?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 AM

I have purchased several "kits". I define kits as those that are precut as well as those that just have the pattern and the necessary fabric and then you do your own cutting. In fact, most of the kits I have purchased are in the second category. I have looked at the prices and tried to figure out what it is worth to get that special fabric you want in the right category without running around and trying to find it without, probably, not much luck. I usually watch until a specfiic quilt "package" goes on sale or better yet on clearance. I am happy with the way I handle this situation.

Last edited by DixieLee; 12-16-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 AM

Kits are going to be more expensive....you are paying for the cutting done by someone else. A basic kit with yardages of fabric will be less expensive than a kit that has smaller pieces of fabric...less cutting.

But, if you do not have fabrics in your stash, and need to shop and buy fabric, sometimes, kits can be the "better deal." You can get just the bits of fabrics you need in the kit.

I have always not been a kit person...I like my quilts to be unique...not the same colors as anyone else...maybe similar...I do have a large stash, and prefer to work from it...but may buy some of the fabrics that I see in a quilt that I love.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
I have fallen in love with the Vintage Rouge quilt done in soft Christmas colors. It comes in a kit, various sizes, but wow, is it expensive. (If you're curious, here's one site where it's available: http://www.fabricessentials.com/shop...%20-%20BOM.htm )
I saw the actual quilt in a shop and it is absolutely gorgeous (the online pix don't do it justice).

Have any of you done the analysis whether you pay more for a kit than if you purchased the yardage and pattern separately? I actually wouldn't need that exact pattern, but I do love the fabrics and generally the combinations. I could do something like buy fat quarters of the fabrics and make a simple quilt, but this is truly beautiful.

Thanks in advance,
marcia
The kit for the king size specifies approximately 30 yards of fabric, plus the pattern for $420. All of the fabric is for sale at $12 per yard, plus shipping. $360 for 30 yards, plus $36 for pattern and $24 for kitting fee. Unless you can get the fabrics cheaper somewhere else, that's what you'd pay for making up the kit yourself - I consider the kitting fee to be in lieu of my driving to the store, using my gas, traffic, etc. There's probably at least $50 in shipping to consider also.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 AM

I buy pattern only and use my own fabric choices...I have to have that margin for error....always! Would hate
to buy the kit and run out of fabric and I know that would be a given with me. Yes, I measure 3 times and cut
once!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 AM

I bought a BOM from SewBiz in Indiana - I thought the price was reasonable. The expression on my friend's face when I gave it to her made the cost worth it. I bought a kit from Clotilde (after drooling over it for a year). It's only a lap quilt but I have tons of extra fabric. I also have the pattern and have made a kit in a different color way to make next year! Quilt shops work on such a narrow profit margin that it is amazing they can survive!!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I often see materials that I think are beautiful in a quilt kit, but want a different pattern. I will then go to fabric.com or other site and find a sale on for that material.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea View Post
I bought a BOM from SewBiz in Indiana - I thought the price was reasonable. The expression on my friend's face when I gave it to her made the cost worth it. I bought a kit from Clotilde (after drooling over it for a year). It's only a lap quilt but I have tons of extra fabric. I also have the pattern and have made a kit in a different color way to make next year! Quilt shops work on such a narrow profit margin that it is amazing they can survive!!
Which quilt kit did you buy from Clotilde? How about a picture?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM

With the exception of Connecting Threads, I've found that (unless on sale) kits almost always cost more than yardage would. However, it can be a hassle to find all the correct colors (and I'm terrible at matching colors if I don't get what is 'called for'). Due to expense, I don't buy too many kits.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

First of all, that quilt is gorgeous as well as the fabric used. I personally have only bought one kit, which I'm ashamed to say I've yet to put together, but I have a friend who buys a lot of them for the convenience. Obviously you love the quilt and the fabric, so I would say go for it; sometimes we deserve something special, and to me that would be what I would get. This probably doesn't make sense, but sometimes we just need to go for it.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:13 AM

Kits are did innately more expensive. I try to buy more yardage so if I make a mistake I have extra.