Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kits >

Quilt kits

Quilt kits

Old 12-13-2014, 05:56 AM

Default Quilt kits

I was thinking about purchasing a quilt kit. I've purchased one before I long time ago from Joann's and was very disappointed. All the precut squares were different sizes and nothing lined up. I said after that I would never do it again. I'm tempted on giving it another go. I saw a really pretty one in my recent cateloge from keepsake quilting. Does anyone have any experience with their kits and if so do you like them? Or what about from other companies?
Old 12-13-2014, 06:00 AM

I've bought kits from Keepsake, Connecting Threads, and Crafts. All three have been fine. There was sufficient fabric to complete the project and usually the pattern was pretty easy . I'd say go for it; its worth ytring.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:36 AM

Personally speaking, I don't buy kits or pre-cuts. I'll buy the pattern or figure the pattern out and buy or use the fabrics I want to use. To me, using a kit, is like going to a store and buying mass produced clothing, they're all the same colors/style, the only thing different is the size, this is my opinion.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

If it has the colors/fabrics you want and it is how you want it I'd say go for it. I have also had bad luck with Joann's and with most kits put together by stores except one. I have had no problems with Connecting threads and Moda brand.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Keepsake has great kits. Plenty of fabric and good instructions. I enjoy a good kit! You still do the work of cutting and piecing so it's your creation in the end.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:17 AM

I have purchased quilt kits from Keepsake Quilting and Connecting Threads. Theirs are always well put together. My LQS has good ones too.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:45 AM

As Jo C points out, a kit from Keepsake Quilting won't be pre-cut pieces, so you won't run into the problem of pieces being the wrong size. I wouldn't hesitate buying a kit (or anything) from this company.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I have only bought one, and there was a piece that was the wrong size. The store very nicely sent me some more of the same fabric so I could complete the project, but I'm not sure I would want to spend the money on another.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:17 AM

Thanks guys for all the responses I do like the idea of the ones at keepsake where I can cut my own fabric. I think I may try out one of theirs.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Keepsake and Connecting Threads are great for kits. Ample fabric and beautiful fabrics.