Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt that looks like my bathroom counter? >

quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM

The thread and time don't concern me, there's no time constraint on this. Check, I will press seams open. Good catch.

I think that's exactly what will happen. While EQ wasn't playing nice last night, I took the screenie and played with it in paint. It's almost right, but ... it looks like the block won't give me exactly what I was looking for though. I'd been thinking that 4 blocks joining together would make the third "tile" into a square, but it only works if I want a peek a boo hole in the middle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433119[/ATTACH]

I'd sure be open to suggestions if anyone can suggest a way without Y seams, and a peek a boo hole,... I've heard Y seams are challenging for a newb like me.
Attached Thumbnails cobblestone-all-cobbled-up.jpg  
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Reb

Default Peekaboo

As a newbie I've done both a quilt on point and a hexagon (using Maxine Rosenthal's method). The reactions from fellow quilters has been 'very surprised'. I guess they are supposed to be difficult. Now maybe I would have trouble with Y seams, but I'm glad I tried the methods as I did. It would be great if you can do it without the Y. But, if you can't, I hope that doesn't hold you back. You are so excited about this project! I am not sure how you got a space. Isn't that just the computer not being able to sew a good seam?

Last edited by Reb; 08-30-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to add
Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 AM

I will have to look at MR's method. I believe that a lot of the blocks are not as hard as they first seem, as long as you take it slow and give it your full attention. That said, I have really only accomplished one actual quilt, but several quilted projects. My cousin likes to piece though and she said that rarely if ever do you have to do Y seams, and she's pondering it too. I may get to do this yet.

It's possible the computer just sewed it wrong, but they're usually so good with straight things and so literal, I decided it must have been my fault.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Reb

Default A possibility

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
The thread and time don't concern me, there's no time constraint on this. Check, I will press seams open. Good catch.

I think that's exactly what will happen. While EQ wasn't playing nice last night, I took the screenie and played with it in paint. It's almost right, but ... it looks like the block won't give me exactly what I was looking for though. I'd been thinking that 4 blocks joining together would make the third "tile" into a square, but it only works if I want a peek a boo hole in the middle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433119[/ATTACH]

I'd sure be open to suggestions if anyone can suggest a way without Y seams, and a peek a boo hole,... I've heard Y seams are challenging for a newb like me.
Here is one solution. You want to break the block down into strips of squares and rectangles. So draw lines down through each vertical seam. I count 13 patches. Follow the fabric placement. Some squares and rectangles will be split by a seam. Quilting or sashing around each whole square and rectangle will define the pieced square or rectangle correctly. Look at the card trick block. http://www.mccallsquilting.com/qb/pa...902/index.html That block would have y seams if it were pieced by the fabric but it is pieced with all triangles. That is for the 1st block. The 2nd I count 8 patches.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Reb

I got bumped off. Probably because I'm so wordy. Maybe it will spark a better idea from a more experienced person on the board. Maybe your cousin? I'm not sure if this is the only, or best, way to do it. Can you tell yet that design is my favorite part of quilting!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 PM

Wow, your backsplash looks remarkably similar to the one I did in my kitchen, also tumbled stone. As I was pasting up all those diamonds, I kept thinking "half square triangles, square-in-a-square..." So when it came to the focal point behind the range, I wanted to make something that looked like it could have been a quilt. I guess inspiration works both directions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433466[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]433468[/ATTACH]

Come to think of it, that would make a nice quilt...
Attached Thumbnails kitchbksplsh.jpg   kitchbksplshrng.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Reb View Post
Here is one solution. You want to break the block down into strips of squares and rectangles. So draw lines down through each vertical seam. I count 13 patches. Follow the fabric placement. Some squares and rectangles will be split by a seam. Quilting or sashing around each whole square and rectangle will define the pieced square or rectangle correctly. Look at the card trick block. http://www.mccallsquilting.com/qb/pa...902/index.html That block would have y seams if it were pieced by the fabric but it is pieced with all triangles. That is for the 1st block. The 2nd I count 8 patches.
Card Tricks is one of my favorites. It's one of the blocks I was reasonably sure I could make too.

I'm wondering if I'm trying to run before I walk. Maybe I should sit down and make the sampler blocks I keep promising myself that I'll do, then work on this one. I'll keep designing it, but piece something else in the meantime.

Nahhh. I'm the gal that when the others in class were making rag quilts for their first quilts decided I was going to do a lap quilt with a panel in the middle of it for my first try. LOL!

I've counted 3 times now, and I consistently count 12 patches in the first block though, so I'm doing something wrong. I was sure that this was doable, but was focused on keeping most of the blocks intact. You bring up a good point. They can "all" be pieced if need be. Especially if I quilt the grout like you were suggesting. Let me take this back into EQ and see if I can come up with a reasonably sized block this way too.

I like the design part too. The cutting and piecing, not so much, then I like the quilting part, and I'm learning to hate the binding part less each time I do it. Almost all of my quilted projects have been designed by me, or at least heavily customized before I made them.

Originally Posted by Scraplady View Post
Wow, your backsplash looks remarkably similar to the one I did in my kitchen, also tumbled stone. As I was pasting up all those diamonds, I kept thinking "half square triangles, square-in-a-square..." So when it came to the focal point behind the range, I wanted to make something that looked like it could have been a quilt. I guess inspiration works both directions.

Come to think of it, that would make a nice quilt...
Scraplady, that looks gorgeous! I think it would make a really interesting quilt, and not have as many logic issues as mine seems to have. I did mine long before I knew anything at all about quilting, or even sewing for that matter. I just kept thinking "get it straight! Don't twist a tile!"
Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Reb

About hating binding. I just found something called a flange. Search: Binding Flange Charismah. The title is Quick Machine Binding with Flange. If you aren't particular about having to hand stitch the binding on the back this in an alternative. You get to attach the binding by machine without the stitches showing on the front of the quilt. I'm trying it with my current quilt project. I'm hoping to like it!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Reb

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433515[/ATTACH]

I had problems with this as I'm not to good with iphoto but numbers 1,2 and 3 are off to the left hand side and they got cut off. If you can read how I numbered them I'm actually getting 14. That's quick and dirty, just scanning in a lined drawing. I don't have E-Quilter because they don't write it for mac. See what you get via EQ.
Attached Thumbnails block-numbered.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 08:15 PM

About hating binding. I just found something called a flange. Search: Binding Flange Charismah. The title is Quick Machine Binding with Flange. If you aren't particular about having to hand stitch the binding on the back this in an alternative. You get to attach the binding by machine without the stitches showing on the front of the quilt. I'm trying it with my current quilt project. I'm hoping to like it!
It looks like the same method I use, only with one piece of fabric in stead of two. I have -never- hand stitched a binding, and I'm OK with it. I'm getting better with it, its just that it seems to take a lot longer than it should. Like the cutting and the piecing for me. With practice though, it's getting easier and faster.

I had problems with this as I'm not to good with iphoto but numbers 1,2 and 3 are off to the left hand side and they got cut off. If you can read how I numbered them I'm actually getting 14. That's quick and dirty, just scanning in a lined drawing. I don't have E-Quilter because they don't write it for mac. See what you get via EQ.
Oh! Aren't you a sweetie! I was thinking the same thing as what you described, but it's so nice to have a visual. I will play with EQ a little more, either tonight or tomorrow night now, and post what I find. This should also fix my custom layout issues with EQ, so I hope to make some progress now for sure!