Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt that looks like my bathroom counter? >

quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM

I'm going to have to try to "tweak" the colors. I just am not getting the sorts of color combinations I want with the stock colors in EQ. I'm definitely leaning toward this being a lap quilt. Especially looking at blues with the wood (yes, I carried some into the bedroom, and I'm smitten. )

I agree. An "inspired by" looks to be the route to go, rather than a direct representation. Batiks are my favorite. I had been thinking it would either be batiks or the Northcott fabrics, depending on availability and colors that I chose. Marbles are what I've been playing with the most lately. The labyrinth, which I've decided I will do, is going to be in blue and white marble batiks. The quilt I loved that uses the Northcott Aphrodite fabrics uses marbles. I tend toward the cooler or truly neutral colors anyway. The warm ones are less what I like (DH is always telling me to wear more red and orange, but I always reach for the blues first )

There is definitely a steep learning curve in EQ. I found that Rhonda's lessons helped immensely: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...a-t195158.html After that, the rest I learned from Google. My cousin has EQ7, so I can play with hers from time to time too. I find I spend a little too much time playing with the software though. Today, I'm going out to get the last few yards of fabric I need for the Labyrinth, then I'm going to assault some fabric. EQ will be a tomorrow or weekend thing now. Browns and blues though, I know they go together, I will find some combination I like.

Here's her block:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]436942[/ATTACH]
I can find the same block, but not on point, and most of them use more HST.... I took a photo of the back, but I'm saving that in case I just can't figure it out. I know how to do it with Y or L seams, but she says no.
Attached Thumbnails jos-block.jpg  
Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Reb

I'm a little confused. You have decided on a lap quilt for your countertop inspired pattern with blues and browns in it. And you are considering batiks or Northcott Aphrodite? I looked at the Aphrodite, WOW! Sorry to yell but that fabric is yummy! If I were buying fabric I'd be getting those. IMHO they would make your tiles really look like tiles.
I looked up labyrinth patterns and there are quite a variety. I like this one, I think, the best. Is this going to be a queen size for the BR? Do you work on more than one project at a time? That's quite an undertaking if so. If you would like to keep me up to date on what you decide maybe we should PM each other. It doesn't look like anyone else on the board is going to chime in with their opinions. In any event please post the finished quilts.
I finally 'finished' the lap quilt I was making for my DF for her 50th BD. I believe she will be 55 or 56 in Oct. I had to stop quilting for awhile. I had to take some meds that made me shakey. Not a good combination with a rotary blade. It's done except I messed up the label. Excited to give it to her! Please keep in touch. I thoroughly enjoyed this creative process, especially because you now get to do all the work. LOL Happy Quilting and I hope you work out the bugs, so to speak, with EQ.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM

I was babbling about 3 different quilts.

I think this is what I'm going to do:

A lap quilt - based on the counter. May be browns or browns and blues. I still need to settle on color before I'm going to go out an find the fabrics. I think as a lap quilt, I may leave the design as is, and embellish with thread. I may just migrate to the Aphrodite marbles, I agree with that you said about it looking like tiles. I know where they can be had at the moment.

The Batiks are for the Labyrinth I want to do. This will go on the bed once it's finished. Hopefully in this millennium the way I quilt. Here's a gorgeous example. Mine won't look nearly this good when it's done. These are my first HST and I'm a realist. http://suedaurio.blogspot.ca/2012/02...-ready-to.html I've ironed 2/3 of the fabric, and cut 2 strips so far. Watch out world! At this rate, maybe next millennium is more realistic.

The Quilt I loved the first time I saw it, and would still build it exactly as I saw it was the Aphrodite quilt. Top middle picture on this page: http://www.quilttrendsmag.com/issues...napshots.shtml I'm currently hunting for those fabrics. I have found the marbles, and I'm on a marble kick at the moment (which is what prompted me to go looking for the Aphrodite stuff again.), it's the medallion and border ones I'm looking for all in one place. There was a kit, I missed it. I'm going to horde on this one until I get all the fabrics, then I -will- make it. I've been thinking about it for 9 months. I've been a "quilter" possibly only a couple months longer than that.

I can plan many projects at once. Then I ruminate on the ones I didn't start while I work on the one I did start. That way, the next one is pretty much already figured out in my head when I'm ready to start it. I think I learned that as a business analyst. They'd put me on 5 different projects, and I'd have to juggle. I think if I tried to cut more than one at once, my head would explode.

We can continue to post in this thread, I'm sure, it's not bothering anyone. But I will PM you as I get further along. I was thinking of blogging my progress. A lot of pressure though, if I get frustrated, I can't quit.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling well enough to quilt. You're right though, rotary cutters demand the utmost control from you. I've been looking hard at a couple of the alternative rulers out there like the quilter's slide lock for the same reasons. I'm not shaky all the time, just sometimes, but it would be nice to cut when I feel like it, not just when my hands will let me. I'd love to know how your DF likes her quilt. I'm sure the label is fine.

Found an interesting thing in EQ today. EQ5 says that the labyrinth needs 12 5/8 yards of fabric. EQ7 says 7 7/8 yards. The pattern says 10 3/4 yards! They calculate differently. 5 assumes that the borders are not pieced, 7 assumes that they are. That's a huge difference, and could be really detrimental when buying the fabric for something you don't have an actual pattern for. I haven't seen anywhere to change that assumption. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't created the project in 5 then opened it in 7. I went and got the "extra" fabric I was afraid I was short anyway. I cleaned out the city apparently. I think that in all of Edmonton, there's something like 3.5m left (just under 4 yards) See the pitfalls you miss using a Mac?

I will definitely let you know my progress. A little accountability is a good thing,... right?
Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Reb

it's the medallion and border ones I'm looking for all in one place.

Well just a quick - e-quilter has both and they ship to Canada. : ) Well, at least I think that is what I'm seeing in the colorway you want.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 AM

I love the 3rd one! I might " borrow" your idea to make the black, white & either green or red quilt I have on my "bucket list". I know you say you should've figured out measurements sooner..let me say I am impressed with all 3 of the designs you've shared here!! I have never worked with any EQ software, only my lil notebook, ruler, pencil, and for sure eraser! Lol..Give yourself a pat on the back!!
K
Old 09-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Reb

All three quilts will be great, don't sell yourself short! The labyrinth is beautiful, and it looks like the pieces should be pretty good size to work with. I've read on the board some HST hints. Starch before you cut. And, cut larger than you need and trim to correct size. Sounds good to me.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
I think this is the first time I've heard of someone finding inspiration on the counter! I like it!

Northcotts Stonehenge was designed by a former sheet vinyl designer. Inspiration is everywhere!

sandy
Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Reb View Post
it's the medallion and border ones I'm looking for all in one place.

Well just a quick - e-quilter has both and they ship to Canada. : ) Well, at least I think that is what I'm seeing in the colorway you want.
It looks like they have 2 of the 4 non-marbles, and one of the marbles (if I'm going to order a couple, I might as well order them all). The problem I run into with a lot of the shops online is shipping to Canada. Shipping to the US is cheap, but once you go across the border, these guys want $38 for 3 of the 7 fabrics I need. So far, the one shop I've found with all of the fabrics is the fat quarter shop. They will charge me $40 to ship the whole thing but that means that the cost of the project goes up by 25%. (And it's a little bit of a pet peeve that Northcott is a Canadian company and I can't find the fabrics in Canada as easily as in the US...)

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I love the 3rd one! I might " borrow" your idea to make the black, white & either green or red quilt I have on my "bucket list". I know you say you should've figured out measurements sooner..let me say I am impressed with all 3 of the designs you've shared here!! I have never worked with any EQ software, only my lil notebook, ruler, pencil, and for sure eraser! Lol..Give yourself a pat on the back!!
K
I would really like to see what you make if you use this pattern! I'm glad you like it. The blocks are all 2" finished. If you need, I can go look at the border sizes and the yardage requirements and post them too. I'm sure there's an easy way to consolidate the blocks if you know what you're doing. I don't yet. This next quilt will be my second quilt ever, and even if you count a table runner and 2 self-designed featherweight totes, you can still count my quilted projects on one hand. Believe me, the "eraser" got more than its fair workout in EQ too!

Originally Posted by Reb View Post
All three quilts will be great, don't sell yourself short! The labyrinth is beautiful, and it looks like the pieces should be pretty good size to work with. I've read on the board some HST hints. Starch before you cut. And, cut larger than you need and trim to correct size. Sounds good to me.
I think it's less selling myself short than giving the perfectionist in me permission to not have perfect HSTs. The block are a great size to work with. Big enough to not be tedious, and small enough to give movement and detail. My fabric is almost as stiff as paper at the moment. Cheap starch that blobs out tends to do that. When I used to spend more time in my darkroom, I snuck up on my finished size on all prints too. I'm well versed in cut bigger, trim to size.

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Northcotts Stonehenge was designed by a former sheet vinyl designer. Inspiration is everywhere!

sandy
I didn't know this. Thanks for that information. It's true that inspiration is everywhere. The other day DH opened a package of paper towels, handed one to me and said "FMQ design?"
Old 09-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Stonehenge fabric would look perfect
Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Reb

The cost of fabric has gone up 25% or more since I've been quilting. Add your shipping and I wouldn't be buying at all. Bummer for you! On the other hand, your DH is amazing! He is so aware of what you are into. He's a keeper for sure.