Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt that looks like my bathroom counter? >

quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM

One thing I learned when I was in "computer school" is that I tend to struggle with the simpler topics, but the more complex come "easier". It was really frustrating at the time, and I think I developed a "bad" habit of skipping the easier stuff. Luckily, the Internet these days can help you move in huge jumps. I think it was only this year that I learned to use a seam ripper properly.

My neighbor popped by last night, and she mentioned that if you do HST by sewing the square then cutting them apart, they make a perfect HST every time. Picking a pattern that it's easy to succeed at helped. The labyrinth is deceptively easy. It looks a lot harder than it is. I couldn't have done a pattern that repeated over and over. I think that's what's held me back from piecing. That sort of look bothers me somehow.

I'm a perfectionist to a fault. I ripped a seam out because I didn't like the way it matched. As I was doing it, I stuck the seam ripper through the fabric at the seam. I would have been better off with the imperfect seam. I'm learning that perfectionism hurts sometimes. I tend to rush the project near the end too, I get a little tired of the project and want to move on, but I don't want to leave it half finished. As it is, it's making me a little crazy. I haven't made progress all weekend, because I was busy, and I want those borders on so I can load it on the frame.

I've decided on a 4" Navy border, a 2" white Border, followed by a 12" Navy border, and I'll make the quilt 96" square. Sewing Circle starts tonight, so I hope to get those on tonight, then get it loaded.

Believe it or not, I have no real ideas at all for the FMQ. Feathers would be "the old standby", but I thought I might lay it out when it's finished and see if it would tell me what it wants.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Reb

Have you looked at McTavishing? A FMQ technique coined by Karen McTavish. Might be something that would interest you.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 PM

Oh I love Karen McTavish I have 3 of 4 of her books. Whitework quilting is way out of my budget. I've tried McTavishing, I can do it on a domestic machine. I'm still shaky on the frame, but I'm getting there. I don't know how much I would do of a quilt for the bed though. Just the center? All of the white background? I also love her trapunto method, but I probably shouldn't have the quilt on my frame for months, which is what it would take me to do what she does.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Reb

I'm not a FMQ, yet, I was just thinking it would be different than 'just' feathers or stippling. I think from our postings you would be happier doing something a little different. Maybe look at other labrynth quilts to see how they were quilted and then see what your quilt has to 'say' about it!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 PM

You're definitely right. I would like to do something different. I was thinking the same thing, find some other quilts and see what elements I like from them. This top seems to have taken on a life of its own, or taken over the dining room at least. I just know it will tell me what it wants. I finished the top tonight. I need to press it, then I'll load it onto the frame tomorrow. It seems like it took a long time, but it was only about 10 days, and not all of that was dedicated time.

Here's Ronnie, the little featherweight, sewing the last mile:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439262[/ATTACH]

And the quilt laying on the frame. I guess it's time to untie my curtains and get to work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439263[/ATTACH]

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to audition it on the bed. I've been dying to see that.
Attached Thumbnails thelastmilesmall.jpg   labyrinthwalledsmall.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 04:35 AM
Reb

It really looks beautiful! I think that's great in ten days. Now, I'm guessing that the actual quilting will take the longest amount of time? Very pretty wall hanging in the background, in your colors too!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Thanks!

I'm not sure how long it will take. Lots of the people who are on the homequilting systems yahoo group are talking about SITD first for a quilt, then going back and doing the areas. That's a lot of work. If I do it that way,... weeks. The other quilts I've done on this frame (4 charity quilts) haven't been SITD and took virtually no time at all, but I can see the value in it, and most of the most beautifully quilted quilts are SITD and FMQed. I'm terrible at following lines, so I'm a little hesitant to do the SITD, but what if I don't and I'm disappointed? Eeek! performance anxiety!

I also found out that I should have been working on a lap quilt, because the APQS dealer has a "road show" this Monday (I lost track of time) that I wanted to go to, to try out their machines and they say to bring a quilt, crib to lap size. Oops. Maybe I can hack something together.

That wall hanging is just a panel from Northcott. I have it hanging there to make me think about what I want to do with it. Part of how I decide on projects.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Reb

I just got a foot for my Bernina that is specific to SITD. Works very well and easier on the eyes. I don't quite understand your quilting system. Not sure if you have to FMQ a SITD because of the frame and machine set up you work with. So, not sure if that type of foot is available for your machine or if you could even use it. It really helps follow the lines.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 PM

I have SITD feet for my low shank machines, so I can do the SITD on those machines, but I'd rather do them on the frame. One thing I didn't consider though is that I may require a different presser foot for it - it has a taller "collar" so you don't go over or under the ruler. Here's a video on how rulers and SITD work on a frame. She's using a mid-arm, but the principle is the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2XlzHpyKSI

You're basically right, it's FMQ in that you're guiding the machine via the ruler not via the dogs.

I'm going to look at the possibility of using the extension table that comes with my machine on the carriage that handles the machine. It would save the cost of another extension. Or I may make one, but that would take time to do and take me away from the quilting.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Reb

http://accentsindesign.com/fineline.html
The tut was very interesting and gives me a better understanding of how the frame and machine are set up, like now I get what you are doing. The above address shows where I first saw rulers because they are saying I could FMQ with my DSM without a frame using their rulers. However, I watched a vidio and can't concieve of me feeding the fabric well enough. But, I did like these rulers best because of the handle, better grip and safer looking. IMHO your quilt would look nice if the labyrinth was well defined by SITD. It would show off the over/under of the design.