Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt that looks like my bathroom counter? >

quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 AM

The interesting thing I found out last night is that the labyrinth so far isn't using 1/2 that material it called for. Now part of this is of course that I'm doing it in less colors, but the "waste" is unreal. I don't think I would cut the whole pattern again before starting. On average, I've cut almost 1 whole strip for each color that wasn't needed to make the number of squares the pattern called for. (I'll make pillow cases or something, so it won't go to waste, and they're all good blenders) I don't know how I would react if I'd spent $200 for the Aphrodite fabrics to find out I could have done it with $100. I'm still torn though. I wonder if I should do the Aphrodite as a smaller quilt so the buy in doesn't seem so huge.

On the up side, the Labyrinth is going well. I have the center star done - most of my seams line up, all of the fabric cut, and I made up all of the HST blocks last night. It's "just" assembly from here.

DH is so good that way. He's learned so much about color and shape from the photography I used to be fully immersed in (I still shoot, but not like I did) and has absorbed so much from my babbling about quilting stuff. His gift for my birthday a couple of years ago was what got me started collecting machines - Ronnie is a 1950 featherweight, after he saw my reaction from seeing one at sewing class. He actually haunted the antique shops looking for one for me. She's the little one I'm piecing the Labyrinth on right now.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Reb

Wow, good for you for getting right to it! Sounds like good progress. I think I've heard of a 'bed runner'? Maybe that would be nice for the aphrodite? Less fabric and still for your BR.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 PM

I've got about a 1/4 of it finished now, and it's the fiddly part. The other parts have less pieces to them, and of course it's all "just" rows from here. My goal was to have the main portion done by the weekend, leaving me borders to do. We shall see.

A bed runner might be nice, I can also see a "throw", or something with a good size for in the car. DH does like his AC and a blanket for me tends to limit the fighting.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Reb

I can see the throw. Always good to keep peace, especially in the confines of the car!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:08 PM

I'm going to see if I can work out what the yardage would be for the throw size and maybe order that. I agree, always better to keep the peace, especially when he's driving.

I thought I'd post this, it's not my cobblestone, but it's where I'm at on the labyrinth. 1/4 of the pattern pieced, then I need borders. All of the rest of the strips are pieced and waiting for me to press and assemble.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]438131[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0856.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Beautiful fabrics!!!
Kif
Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM

Thanks Kif!! Here it is today just before I head to bed:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]438173[/ATTACH]
Tomorrow or the next day I'll cut the borders for it. Hopefully I can put that frame to use again by the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails labyrinthnowallssmall.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Reb

" I have really only accomplished one actual quilt,"

Really? You would never tell by this one. Points look great, beautiful fabrics. Will turn out to be a wonderful quilt. Keep posting pictures, new way to use your 'old' hobby, right!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Reb View Post
" I have really only accomplished one actual quilt,"

Really? You would never tell by this one. Points look great, beautiful fabrics. Will turn out to be a wonderful quilt. Keep posting pictures, new way to use your 'old' hobby, right!
Really really. Thanks. I was concerned that the white and light blue might be too close, but in real life, it's not as washed out. The points surprised me. I expected to struggle more with them. I was looking at my camera a month or so ago, and I realised that all of the photos I've been taking lately have been for my website, of sewing machines and things. LOL! It's definitely repurposing the skills from another hobby.

This was my first one (top only, but it's assembled and quilted and bound now). I didn't like it even before I assembled, but figured it would be good for traveling or trailer use. The cats have claimed it, so it turned out in the end.:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]438331[/ATTACH]

OK, I'm off to decide on borders.
Attached Thumbnails quilttop.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Reb

This looks like a much better way to gather some skills than making that rag quilt everyone else was doing! I think it is a great use of fabrics. You've carried the center panel out, eye movement, red works. 1st quilt? You should be very proud of that. I think you have more accuracy than I do and I've made a number of quilts. I'm a perfectionist but I also want to get the current quilt done because I have so many ideas for the next one, and the next one. So I don't always take the time I should. And this labyrinth is your second! Nice leap to a pattern that doesn't repeat over and over. Are you puzzling over the FMQ you will do?