Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt lost in mail! >

Quilt lost in mail!

Quilt lost in mail!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 PM

So relieved for you! I've never had anything lost by the USPS. Can we see the quilt?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:17 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
Originally Posted by lllog
Always buy insurance to anything important that you send through the mail. Its not a lot for peace of mind.

Lanny
If you buy insurance, know that if it does get lost, you have to prove what it's worth with actual receipts. Your time means nothing to the shippers. So you won't get a drop in the bucket for what you've got into any of these lovely quilts!! Sad, but true! I have heard this from both UPS & USPS. I understand how scary it is to ship quilts across country. Shipped five of them myself! Three have arrived, I've got my fingers crossed for a Monday delivery & still working on the last one. Just wanted everyone to know that. About all the insurance does on handmade stuff is alerts the carriers that something possibly worth something is in a particular box. Be careful!!
Unless you have a valid appraisal from a certified appraiser, the USPS considers the value of the quilt the sum total of the fabric, batting and thread (if you can produce receipts). If you're lucky. Otherwise, they might consider what you sent equivalent to
a $20 comforter from Kmart. And the fabric price - they don't understand you had to buy 50 FQ's to get that gradiation . Only that your quilt is 72x72, so it's 8 yards of fabric (front and back). And fabric at Joann's is $3 yard. You do the math. Not pretty.

And I'm pretty sure FedEx does NOT allow insurance on works of art, especially the handmade kind.

Most of the big names in quilting, when sending their quilts to shows/appearances, have some sort of separate insurance policy, or a rider to an umbrella policy. And most of those quilts have already been appraised for insurance purposes.

If you didn't know, if your house burns down, and you don't have some sort of rider and/or written appraisals, you're getting the $20 Kmart for each of your handmade quilts. That's why it's sometimes worth it to have it appraised (a written appraisal at a local show, or ask at your LQS - they'll know someone) The cost for a written appraisal runs around $60. At least then, if there is a disaster, you would get some value back.

So you're not Caryl Bryer Fallert - the appraiser would still look at your quilt, the value of the fabric, quilting, artistic contribution (and I know that's subjective but I can't think of another way to describe it) to come up with a $ amount. So a quilt full of Mariner's Compasses would be valued higher than a YellowBrickRoad quilt. Which makes sense. Again, it's not perfect, but it will get you more than $20.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Tapioca
So relieved for you! I've never had anything lost by the USPS. Can we see the quilt?
I will try to attach a picture. I made it after reading on this board the tutorial that showed how to make 4 patches from charm packs.

4 patch using charms
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141185[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141180.jpe  
Old 12-10-2010, 05:39 PM

I have a package missing now and it sat in California since Dec 1st, going to Nevada. LOL Now it went to Mass. and is on it's way back supposedly. The post office has you fill out a report to locate and seems they found it on it's little tour around the states. I hope it shows up soon. Hope yours shows up the same time mine does. Think positive.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Sounds like the airlines with lost luggage!

I came home today to find my December Secret Pal box sitting in plain view on my front porch. We have lots of teenagers who walk down our street from school and I am always worried that they will see a package and steal it off the porch.

My dh wrote down the wrong address on a form when he got his replacement laptop battery and when he checked Fed Ex, it was delivered to our neighbor. He walked over there and the package was on the porch, but his name was on the box, so he just took it. The neighbor wasn't home and never had a clue that he had a box on his porch. Nobody around said a word. That was how easy it was.

We put big planters on our porch and some UPS and Fed Ex deliverers will place a box or package behind them. When we walk up to the porch, we can see them clearly, but anyone from the street cannot. However, USPS never does. They leave them exposed. I would rather drive to the post office to pick up a box than worry about it getting stolen before I could get home.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:27 PM

Your quilt is beautiful....so glad it was found!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 PM

[quote=Joeysnana]
Originally Posted by donnajean
If you had Delivery Confirmation, there is a tracking number. You can go on USPS.com & see where the package was processed last.

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
Last Sat., Dec. 4, I mailed a lap quilt to my sister for a Christmas gift using the postal service. It was going from Indiana, PA to Kent, OH, not a long journey. I only sent it with delivery confirmation, no tracking. It hasn't arrived yet. I am sick at heart. It is the first quilt I ever made for her and the first time I had a quilt longarmed. UPS delivered my other sister's and mom's quilts in 1 day. Live and learn. Next time I use UPS for everything! :thumbdown:
I did go to USPS and it just said it was out for delivery Dec. 6. Didn't say where it was delivered unfortunately.[/quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:42 PM

I am a retired letter carrier and use to leave packages in all kinds of places. I also left a note so the person knew where to find it..I didn't want to take any back. I have even left packages in the grill in the back yard. Dry and out of sight.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 PM

So glad your quilt was found. Crisis averted. LOL.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Whew...glad this story had a happy ending!