Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt magazines >

quilt magazines

quilt magazines

Old 12-24-2020, 10:45 AM

I don't subscribe either, although I have in the past. I do buy occasional issues of "Art Quilting Studio" because of the articles about each artist's technique. Still interesting, and even though techniques can be similar, there's usually some interesting twist that's new to me.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:40 AM

I love getting my every other month magazine from Missouri Star Quilt Company for $7.99. I used to subscribe to several and now I only subscribe to MSQC Block magazine. Get this - no ads, clear instructions, always using precuts (which you can use or not) and the magazine is more like a book than a magazine. It is a treat and all quilts featured that issue are in the back, in full color with complete with fabric requirements. It just does not get any better. I also love supporting this business and their small town. I just cannot say enough good things about this company and their magazine!
Old 12-24-2020, 02:03 PM

I only buy a magazine if a pattern inside interests me...then I swap magazines with other quilters magazine stashes. The magazines make the rounds and get a lot of use out of them this way.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The only quilt magazine that I bought regularly is no longer published. (Quitters Newsletter) I find everything I need now on the net.
That was my favorite magazine. Was disappointed when it was cancelled.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:54 PM

I have bought several individual magazines but never subscribed. My favorite was (I think) “Quilt,” but it is no longer published. Now I look online only and there is plenty of content to select from and I don’t have to store it!
Old 12-25-2020, 03:25 AM

I only subscribe to American Patchwork & Quilting these days, but I occasionally buy others on the newsstand or at Joann's. I used to subscribe to Quilting Arts to fill the gap that Quilters Newsletter left. I sometimes feel the need to stretch myself. I just started Taproot, which is for "makers" and includes sewing, knitting, etc. I like it a lot so far, and it has no ads.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:40 AM

I always like the Australian quilting magazine and even collected them for a while. I have a huge shelf of them. They are quite different and the ads are different for the most part. They usually had a large pull out section for applique patterns. My neighbor had a full collection of Quilter's Newsletter and donated them to some museum in Muncie, IN.
I find that a good pattern book is what I use, like Jinny Beyer's, but I also have three 3-ring notebooks labeled Quilt Fun. Probably have enough fabric too, but am out of energy and time.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:13 AM

I used to love Australian Patchwork and Quilting, I think it was called. Didn't subscribe, but bought it when I saw it (only carried in a few of the shops I visited.) Terrific, thick mag. I don't think it's still published, but I have purchased old copies on Ebay when I was doing a multi-part pattern and didn't own all the relevant issues.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
I receive American Quilter (included in my annual American Quilter Society membership fee) and American Patchwork & Quilting from Better Homes & Gardens publications. Both magazines include quilt patterns and (of course) advertisements for new products. But I agree with Julienm1 that there are lots of free patterns available online. I like to browse Pinterest for ideas too.

This is the magazine I use to subscribe to, Better Homes and Garden. I liked it a great deal I found that after a few years the pattern would come back around. Different fabrics but the same patterns. That was when I stopped my subscription. I also found that there were so many patterns online there was no need for subscriptions. Plus I have binders filled with pattern and pattern books going back to the 1950's. (before rotary cutters and with templates to cut.)
Old 12-25-2020, 01:06 PM

I don't have subscriptions to any magazines. I used to get 3 or 4 magazines a month and didn't have time to read or enjoy them so just let the subscription run out. Anything a quilter wants is usually on the internet or utube. Once in awhile I will see a magazine with a cute pattern in it and will purchase it but that is a rarity.