Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt magazines >

quilt magazines

quilt magazines

Old 12-25-2020, 01:53 PM

I subscribe to two quilt magazines. Quiltmania and Quiltmaker. Love them both.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

I haven't subscripted to a magazine in years. I do have patterns I printed off, bought some. I have a lot of books I don't even use.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:39 PM

Oh, no! Yes, I'm a magazinaholic and admit it! Over the last 10 yrs I've subscribed or regularly bought at newsstand, almost all. I think almost all have patterns--it's the # and types that vary some. I still get Quiltmaker and American Patchwork (think that is from little church friends school magazine sales and I renew every year) and on my "trying out" yr on Quilting Arts. I'm enjoying Quilting Arts although not likely I'll do any of the projects, but like the info on using different media. My SIL and I talk about trying some of the dying and paint techniques this summer after vaccinated. I like Quiltmaker always shows quilting designs on each quilt. And they also they show some fabric requirements on a few quilts of Accuquilt die use. American Patchwork occasionally does that too.
I loved Modern Patchwork and Modern Quilting but both went kaput and the "parent" company is doing more modern in their magazine. I took a long arm mag and loved it but it too went under. I liked Quilters Newsletter too as it had patterns with quilting design ideas and and actual news on the industry. Never made any of their quilts, but loved the Irish Quilting mag--beautiful photos. I'd suggest if for you, first buy some off the newsstand and see which ones you are most attracted too.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:05 AM

I’ve subscribed to a few over the years and have had so many go belly up shortly after subscribing, I’ve had enough! I keep looking at Making Modern, a digital only magazine out of Australia, but haven’t subscribed yet. I’ve found my library has quilting magazines online, for free, so I see Quilting Arts magazine regularly and a couple of others sporadically. I’ve used a few patterns out of magazines, but honestly, not many. Magazines have gotten so expensive, I only treat myself to the odd issue when I see one that peaks my interest. I have a couple of stacks of older ones I go through periodically and mark for possible future projects. I can’t let them go.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:20 AM

one suggestion--the price of a single issue at a newsstand (or Joann's) is pricey, but if you find after picking up a couple issues that you like the patterns and info, definitely look into a subscription as the initial price is about the same as a couple of single issues. I was even able to get Today's Quilter (a UK publication that also always came with a "gift" like templates, or quilt clips, etc) for about $30 initially).