Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt magazines >

quilt magazines

quilt magazines

Old 12-24-2020, 05:51 AM

Default quilt magazines

If you have a subscription to a quilt magazine, which magazine do you get and why do you like or not like it? Do the magazines have patterns in them?
Old 12-24-2020, 06:07 AM

When I first started quilting, I subscribed to Easy Quilts, maybe not the right name, for a year but did not renew. Too many patterns that were not to my liking. Decided to go to JoAnns or Barnes and Nobel, look at the mags. Only bought the mag if there were at least 2 patterns that "tripped my trigger." Rarely bought a mag. Now I look at mag at JoAnns while waiting to check out but again, rarely buy. Too much available on line for free. Confession: I have 3 large 3 ring binders filled with patterns I've printed. Have a HUGE doc on my computer of pics of quilts I've found on line. Maybe I won't make those either, but fun eye candy.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

The only quilt magazine that I bought regularly is no longer published. (Quitters Newsletter) I find everything I need now on the net.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I used to but not anymore. There is too much readily available on the net. I also used to get Quilters Newsletter. It was a wonderful publication. I will buy one if CharismaH is featured though.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:41 AM

I receive American Quilter (included in my annual American Quilter Society membership fee) and American Patchwork & Quilting from Better Homes & Gardens publications. Both magazines include quilt patterns and (of course) advertisements for new products. But I agree with Julienm1 that there are lots of free patterns available online. I like to browse Pinterest for ideas too.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I have at one time subscribe to all of them. Many are no longer published. I only get one quilt magazine now. Block by Missouri Star. It has no advertising and all patterns. I dropped the other magazine I was getting when there were two quilts that were just alike except for the different color fabrics and each pattern had a different designer name on it and each had it's own spread. Same exact pattern, instructions, and layout.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

😂😂😂auto correct changed Quilters Newsletter magazine to....Quitters Newsletter. An appropriate error.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:51 AM

When I started quilting, I subscribed to Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting. There were usually one or two patterns per issue that interested me, but not always. When I stopped LoQ, I tried the American Quilter's Society magazine and Quilter's Newsletter; they were full of inspiring photos but not that many quilts I wanted to make. For quite a while I subscribed to Today's Quilter, which I believe is a British publication, which I liked a lot. Now I don't get any magazines, because I have enough accumulated patterns to last the rest of my quilting life.

edit

I forgot about Quiltmania, which is a French magazine. I subscribed one year to that one, which has more complicated patterns. And there was American Patchwork and Quilting, which I received for a year. I would call that one the most traditional.

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-24-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:36 AM

The only magazine I subscribe to is Quiltmaker. I never get an issue that doesn't have at least several quilts I want to make. When and if I think it delivers me less value, I'll stop my subscription. But after many years, it still delights me.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I have a subscription to “The Quilt Pattern Magazine” - which is an online - monthly download magazine. Lots of patterns , group projects and sew alongs. I like it for many reasons- been getting it since it’s beginning. Great community.

the other magazine I get is the American Quilter- I am a member of the AQS ( American Quilter Society) and the magazine is included with my annual membership. Patterns, lots of eye candy, great articles, news & updates on what’s happening in the quilting world