Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Markers -  Need tried and true >

Quilt Markers - Need tried and true

Quilt Markers - Need tried and true

Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl
I used the Frixion pen as well and I reallly liked it and the marks came out completely.
Ditto!! Love these pens!!! The Frixion markers (highlighters?) work the same way. For permanent removal...just wash the quilt.

I also agree with the Pigma pens for permanent markings. I made a memory quilt for DD2's graduation and had all of her friends and family sign it. Washed it when it came back to me and it is still perfect.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:57 PM

I'm also a frixion pen fan. I suppose I would tell the recipient if the quilt ever got left in a cold car and the marks came back, to take an iron to it, and they'll go away again. I was at a show last weekend and the woman said the ink washed out when she washed w/ water & detergent.

I will say that if i can use a regular #2 pencil if the fabric is such that I can see it...
Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by myrna
I have started experimenting with the Pilot Frixion ball erasable gel pen (phew ... that's all on the package!) Anyway, not only is it erasable ... it is thermo-sensitive. Passing a warm iron over it also makes it go away. So far I have only used it on the back side or the fabric and it DOES go away with the heat of the iron. The package I have comes with ried, blue and black pens. As an aside, I also do like the fine line it makes.
I have the same FRIXION pens, but this weekend I used the black one on an appliqued, fall themed, table runner to draw the quilting lines I needed around a star (I am terrible at freehand!). It disappeared when I ironed it after quilting, but so did the orange color. I was left with white lines and had to use a sharpie marker to cover it up!!!!! :hunf: It was fine on all the other fabrics! Yikes! So, lesson learned. Try it on a scrap first! ;)
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 AM

thank you this is my choice from your advice and the quilt shop too. One lady there swears by and only uses the ultimate marking pen.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 AM

Then a pigma pen for the labels. Will be checking out the frixon gel pens on something for practice.

Thank you ladies for all theinput -- I know I can count on the QB for honest opinions !

Hapyy Marking and Quilting !
Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 AM

I either embroidery quilt labels or use a pigma pen (used one for years on kids school items and it did not wash out)

I hate to mark on the top of quilts as I don't know what that mark may do in the years to come. So I use masking tape laid on the top and quilt along it's side. I never leave the tape on overnight and just use two strips at a time to line up the stitching, removing quickly after stitching. I don't like blue painter's tape as I can't get it to stay attached long enough to stitch. I know, some people will disagree with me about using masking tape, but after 40 years of using it quilting I have never seen the residue that people speak of. I believe the trick is to remove it immediately after stitching.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
I either embroidery quilt labels or use a pigma pen (used one for years on kids school items and it did not wash out)

I hate to mark on the top of quilts as I don't know what that mark may do in the years to come. So I use masking tape laid on the top and quilt along it's side. I never leave the tape on overnight and just use two strips at a time to line up the stitching, removing quickly after stitching. I don't like blue painter's tape as I can't get it to stay attached long enough to stitch. I know, some people will disagree with me about using masking tape, but after 40 years of using it quilting I have never seen the residue that people speak of. I believe the trick is to remove it immediately after stitching.
I read your post with interest, but have another concern right now. I did not receive a board digest and cannot access it. Is anyone else having trouble. This is Wednesday Sept. 28. froggyintexas
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by Bobbielinks

I read your post with interest, but have another concern right now. I did not receive a board digest and cannot access it. Is anyone else having trouble. This is Wednesday Sept. 28. froggyintexas
Check your spam or unread messages, I had this problem several months ago with McAfee/ or contact the administratorl :-D
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl
I used the Frixion pen as well and I reallly liked it and the marks came out completely.
I used the FriXion pens as well on my last quilt. The lines ironed out completely. Then I washed it as well. Worked great!