Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Markers -  Need tried and true >

Quilt Markers - Need tried and true

Quilt Markers - Need tried and true

Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Just a little heads up on the Frixion pens. I just read an online article on them that cautions that even though your marks appear to be gone forever if exposed to extreme cold they will reappear. The person that wrote the article even washed the item repeatedly and apparently it did not wash out. She put the item in the freezer and they reappeared. My question to myself was, "Who is going to put their quilt in the freezer?" but it is not out of the question that it could be used in conditions that would make the lines reappear. The article can be found here:
http://www.quiltinglodgeblog.com/201...st-friend.html
Another caution that I've heard, but not experienced personally, is that the Frixion pen marks will not disappear from hand dyed fabric. Otherwise they are MAGIC!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 AM

I only use one mark ( a chaco liner or painter's tape) going each way to do cross hatching. After I draw, or tape, the first line and sew on it, I attach the quilting guide to my machine foot and let it ride on the previously sewn line. Keep doing this till all the lines going one way are sewn and repeat the process for the cross lines. That way I only have 2 lines to remove.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 AM

I use Pigma pens for all my labels. I love them. They come in various sizes, but I use what looks like a fine tip marker size. I got the wrong size once and the tip was so tiny and sharp it tore the fabric.

I use Bohn pencils for marking both when piecing and when quilting. It comes in white, gray and yellow. I've now seen the "lead" sticks in pink and green. I only use the white, gray and yellow. I just don't trust the other colors. I made my husband a 25 block sampler and couldn't afford the Bohn pencils so I bought a chalk pencil with multiple colors at Joanns. The white was awesome as was the blue, but every other color set in my top. The orange faded when washed, then bled on the entire block. Good thing it was for my bed and not a show or a gift for someone outside the house. I only use the Bohn now. The chalk was kind of thick and had to be sharpened a lot. Love the BOHN stuff.

I will be using painter's tape on some upcome projects. It's great to ensure you are stitching a straight line.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
NOTE: Frixon pens do work great...however if you stick your quilt in the freezer the marks come back as clear as ever. My concern is that if you make a quilt as a gift at the xmas party...the recipeint leaves it in their car overnight, it gets cold. Marks will be there, might cause trouble if they don't ask how to re-remove the marks.
I did do this as a test in my freezer when I inadverntently ironed out my marks (duh)
OMG! who knew??? so the markings are there for life, only incognito ?? THANKS for the icy car trunk example... never would have thought of something like that.

Is this board great for helpful hints and suggestions, or what?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM

For diagonal, I use 1/4 masking tape. Everything else I use Crayola Washable Markers with the fine tip. Washes out completely.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
Use a Pigma pen for making the label. There are several different colors available & it is permanent.
ditto here
Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 AM

I just marked a black and white lone star. I did a lot of marking on the white with a black friction pen. It irons out. I tested it first, and yes every mark ironed off. I like the quilt pounce on the black.
Mary in Tx
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 AM

I just marked a black and white lone star. I did a lot of marking on the white with a black friction pen. It irons out. I tested it first, and yes every mark ironed off. I like the quilt pounce on the black.
Mary in Tx
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by myrna
I have started experimenting with the Pilot Frixion ball erasable gel pen (phew ... that's all on the package!) Anyway, not only is it erasable ... it is thermo-sensitive. Passing a warm iron over it also makes it go away. So far I have only used it on the back side or the fabric and it DOES go away with the heat of the iron. The package I have comes with ried, blue and black pens. As an aside, I also do like the fine line it makes.
There was a thread on here yesterday about the Frixion Pen. The writer said it worked fine, when she ironed over it , it disappeared. As a test, she put it in the freezer to cool it off for a few minutes and the marks came right back. She tried washing it out and doing the same test over again and the Frixion Pen marks came right back. Others wrote to say the same thing, it shows through. I have never used it but never will just in case this thread was accurate.

Just did a search. To see this thread go to 'Search' and write in Frixion pens. When the page comes up. Look for 'Kat29803. This is what I read yesterday and I won't be taking a chance with this pen on my quilts.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Just a little heads up on the Frixion pens. I just read an online article on them that cautions that even though your marks appear to be gone forever if exposed to extreme cold they will reappear. The person that wrote the article even washed the item repeatedly and apparently it did not wash out. She put the item in the freezer and they reappeared. My question to myself was, "Who is going to put their quilt in the freezer?" but it is not out of the question that it could be used in conditions that would make the lines reappear. The article can be found here:
http://www.quiltinglodgeblog.com/201...st-friend.html
OK I've seen pilot frixion pens and pilot Pilot frixion erasable pens ... are the one in the same or are we talking about 2 different pens? The quilting blog ones look different than the Amazon erasable ones.