Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Not Speaking to Me >

Quilt Not Speaking to Me

Quilt Not Speaking to Me

Old 08-03-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I know you don't want to quilt onto the circles, but the first thing I thought of before I even finished reading your post is a chrysanthemum as that is a traditional motif in Asian art. Or how about Koi fish swimming along the solid borders? Love the way you've "woven" the black and white together.

I am afraid the gold metallic thread quilting would detract or cover up some of the designs in the circles, I fussy cut most of them for the look......sigh, but everything I have seen so far that I like shows something quilted in the center.

I did a small lap size sample so I can test out any design before throwing it up on the big one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]428082[/ATTACH]

Oma, I love that quilt, it is so amazing....might actually try that pattern one day.

Tartan, I was looking at different sashiko prints, or like artsy recommended the chrysanthemum outline. Just isnt speaking to me...sigh very frustrating for me, because I usually have the quilting picked out prior to the first cut of fabric, but on this one it just escaped me in every stage.

This is an alteration to the Samoyi quilt pattern from Hoffman Fabrics. That is a free pattern, I sorta goofed up and then really liked how it turned out so kept my version. https://hoffmanfabrics.com/EDocs/Sit...%20pattern.pdf
There is the original pattern if anyone is interested.

Mine has 21 different fabrics, I only repeated fabric once...so there is a very wide variety of prints in this. The sample one with batiks has 13 different fabrics, the sashing strips are a little smaller too.....
Attached Thumbnails img_03761_zpse3d94f5b.jpg  

Last edited by CarolynMT; 08-03-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Congratulation on making such a stunning quilt. My first thought too was to would be to quilt echo's of circles or half circles. I would keep to the same color thread as is the fabric. Stunning. Hope that someone is able to come up with quilting that will not detract from the beauty of this quilt.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Sorry no help on the quilting! Sure is beautiful!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 PM

I would think with no quilting in the circles they would be puffy and not lay nicely. I did a Dresden Plate and had to quilting in the center of each flower - it just looked unfinished. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM

My first thought was of doing orange peel in the sashing, that is both circular and a traditional Japanese motif.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:28 PM

Just "wow" ..... I'm drooling!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:35 PM

If you don't want to quilt over the colored quarter circles, I would definitely stitch in the ditch along the black and white sashings which go through the circles. Then, if you look at the space between four circles, the space where two white corners and two black corners meet, it is roughly a square shape with curved sides, kind of like the shape of an improved nine patch piece. Maybe you could find a "block" quilting pattern you like to fit into those areas. It would be nice if it were an Asian type of pattern, I think.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:26 PM

I definitely wouldn't use gold thread on the printed fabrics, just something that blends and gives a little interest. I think the quilt is so beautiful, simple might be best...definitely some SITD though. Can't wait to see the finished product : )

Thanks for the link...I like yours much better!!!

Last edited by omaluvs2quilt; 08-03-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 PM

Your quilt is spectacular. I believe an ambitious quilting design would really detract from the quilt, and I'm sorry to say I think that includes gold metallic thread with an exception. If it were me, I'd quilt along the sashing SITD with the same color thread on top as the sashing. Then I'd take each quarter circle and do echo quilting of the circle in the same color as the fabric. You could do fancier asian-themed quilting in the borders or circles and x's through them. In my humble opinion, adding a complex quilting design to that quilt will ruin the pattern. At most, in addition to what I've mentioned, I might add two or three straight lines equal distance and coming from the middle of the circle in each quarter, and that could be done as a straight line quilting with gold metallic, but stop at the edge of the circle or maybe go around the very outside of the circle with metallic. Check that last part out on your sample.

The quilt is outstanding. Congratulations. I think you could win a ribbon on it if you used the right quilting design.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 PM

Wow, no clue about the quilting, but I really like Asian fabric and design. Just beautiful.