Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt pattern suggestion? >

Quilt pattern suggestion?

Quilt pattern suggestion?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM

I'm doing this for my ds with a QAYG, I have the blocks cut 4 3/4 with the focus fabric, then colored fabric for the opposite blocks, then a frame of 6 3/4 triangles.
here is an example of what I mean:

I used black for the sashing.

chitchat pattern for funndone
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14049[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-14049.jpe  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM

The pattern EARTH's WINDOW QUILT by PB Textiles would be perfect. You could call it a "window into her life". Just substitute the fabrics you have collected for the ocean ones they use. It is the most realistic attic windows type quilt I have ever seen. The pattern is free on the P&B Textiles website.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
The pattern EARTH's WINDOW QUILT by PB Textiles would be perfect. You could call it a "window into her life". Just substitute the fabrics you have collected for the ocean ones they use. It is the most realistic attic windows type quilt I have ever seen. The pattern is free on the P&B Textiles website.
WHOA! That is one gorgeous looking Attic Windows and NO Y seams!! Downloaded and printed!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I'm doing this for my ds with a QAYG, I have the blocks cut 4 3/4 with the focus fabric, then colored fabric for the opposite blocks, then a frame of 6 3/4 triangles.
here is an example of what I mean:

I used black for the sashing.
That is a sweet looking quilt!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 PM

can't wait to see what you come up with
Old 04-28-2010, 03:03 AM

There are a lot of star patterns where you could use the middle as the picture and points as the frame or are you looking for different individual blocks? I've seen PP frogs, really cute, cupcakes appliqued, cats PP'd or appliqued, buses PP'd, etc. is this what you're looking for? I'd be more than willing to help you find some of these.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 AM

Oh, now I'm torn (sorry for the pun). That Earth's Attic Window is soooooo easy even a caveman could do it! and no Y-seams!!! But I do like the idea of the centers of stars to showcase Mamagus' specialty fabrics. With different blacks, that could be stunning.

I'm learning so much more on this site for my own projects... thanks fellow quilters!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 AM

I too like the attic window idea, an idea I would not have thought of :lol:
Cann't wait to see of the blocks put together,, in progress pictures please.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by woody1229
My daughter goes to college in Boston (3,000 miles away!) and spent a semester in Dublin recently, and she has taken her 'special' quilt (done with a very similar philosophy as yours) everywhere she has gone. Despite the fact that it's pretty dang bulky, she is willing to ship or shlep it around because she says it brings her home, wherever she may be. It's a true comfort item, just as I had hoped and planned.

I did a sampler quilt to accomodate all the different 'fabrics of her life.' I tried to choose blocks that fit thematically with the memory/memento that the fabric represented, and to link various themes/memories within the blocks. I also quilted meaningful little symbols in the sash blocks, like musical notes, drama masks, peace signs, etc.

I think there's a picture of my daughter's 'fabric of her life' quilt in my profile. Although the meaning behind the individual blocks may not be immediately apparent, you can get the idea!
That quilt is stunning! I can't use my fabrics like that... too many of them would get lost in the blocks... but I LOVE what you did!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 AM

I think it will be the Attic Windows quilt pattern. I spent some time last night looking for Mendocino wood fabrics but came up empty handed... hopefully I'll find some soon!