Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Patterns >

Quilt Patterns

Quilt Patterns

Old 12-08-2010, 02:49 PM

I have made two Irish Chain quilts and two Grandmother's Fan quilts - but I like doing a different design each time. My favorite thing to do to an old standard design is to add to it or take away from it to make a brand new design and surprisingly it does not take much of a change to make it new. I sometimes take left over fabric and create a design to fit the fabric I have and that is always a surprise.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:52 PM

I never make the same thing twice--I get bored too easily!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Always different.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 PM

i'm still learning .... i use different patterns with different techniques so that i learn someting new each time.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Never made the same one twice-too many to choose from-and since I subscribe to 5 quilting magazines (all right, it is my weakness born from living overseas and not having any access to any quilting ANYTHING) and I keep finding new patterns I MUST make-Think I'm up to number 437 or so by now-think maybe in my next 12 lifetimes, I might make a dent in them! I am SERIOUSLY in trouble! I spend so much time deciding on a pattern, I loose a huge chunk of actual quilting time (that, and being on this board!) LOL
Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by fivepaws
Do you tend to do the same pattern for most of your quilts or a different pattern for each?
The only two I have ever repeated are Log Cabin and Dresden Plate. I've repeated the Dresden Plate because I love it, although I set it differently every time, and the Log Cabin is repeated by family's request. Otherwise, I love the challenge of a new design.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:12 AM

Yrs ago, I made a lot of quilted gifts,vests,bears etc for my DDs & myself.So that was 3 of everything & got old fast.
I usually make just one quilt ,no 2 alike.Did make several rag throws.
I don't make quilts using the same block over & over, unless trying a new pattern.
Originally Posted by fivepaws
Do you tend to do the same pattern for most of your quilts or a different pattern for each?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 AM

I taught my sister to quilt last summer, and had her do a Triple Irish Chain literally 3 times in all different fabrics. By her third quilt she is more than ready to move on--but has the concept of strip piecing down pat. As for me, I usually make a different pattern every time, to keep it fresh and continue to learn new techniques.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:23 AM

Most of the time I'm doing new patterns since I'm so new to this (20 months) . But sometimes I need to get something out quick that with the different fabric selections and the size of the borders or no borders can really change the look then I do baby take 3. I can crank one out in a afternoon. I even made one for a favorite teacher that on one of the blocks I appliqued an apple and her name on black fabric so that it looked like a blackboaed.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 AM

I'm fairly new to quilting, and so far, I haven't made the same pattern twice...but I've only made four quilts and for one of them, my 5yo decided the layout. lol I have found one that I really enjoyed doing, and I will definitely do it again, but for now, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, and I learn by doing, so I try new patterns. I have four quilts in varying stages of planning right now, and every one of them is different from what I have done before.