Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Pounce >

Quilt Pounce

Quilt Pounce

Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 PM

I've not used the pounce yet. I use the Clover brand chalk pen. It has a tiny wheel and it stays on til you wipe over it. I don't like the pencils.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Just used my pounce on a miniature quilt border. Worked great. It works better if you rub it across the template rather than pouncing it. Not sure which type of chalk it is but most was gone by the time I machine quilted the miniature.
Give it a try on a small item. Experiment.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM
dsj

The pounce is okay if you are machine quilting and it's a quick project. It is extremely dusty and if you have allergies it will trigger a sneezing attack. It will dry your hands out very quickly. I would have to say, I don't think it's a great investment. I doubt I will ever use mine again but I am a hand quilter. I guess it is just preference and what you get used to.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Windy Canyon
Originally Posted by liblueeyes
Don't own the pounce - never had the money for it. But, I took a couple of layers of cheesecloth added some cornstarch- tied with rubberband and made a pounce out of it. I make my own stencils using computer paper and making the holes for the patterns with a thumb tack point. I trace the patterns from books - magazines etc. This keeps the lines as just holes. I then sometimes take my Dixon marking pencils and run over the dotted lines. Sorry if that is totally confusing. I do like this way of marking - cheap!
Cool idea! I would have never thought about that. Thanks for sharing. By any chance have you also made your own spray starch out of cornstarch and water? Thanks again, Linda

:-P
Linda,
Have not made the spray starch - I just buy the regular one.
Let us know if you try it.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 AM

I use the pounce and love it. Unlike its name "pounce" you DO NOT pounce but rather rub the chalk over the design. When finished quilting the iron takes the chalk mark off the quilt.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 AM

I still have yet to find a really great marking tool. When I am hand quilting I use a soap sliver to mark. The marking does not stay on long but since I am working on a small space anyway I just keep remarking. When I work on a machine I use those paper templates that you pin on and sew through. They work great. I got a quilt frame for my Viking Mega Quilter so now I have to figure out what I will use when it's set up.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
I would like to know more about marking with markers and pencils. i am so scared to buy the wrong one. i have heard horror stories of them never coming off. Any specific brand? And what type? There are SOOOO many out there! I also thought about the pounce too
i USE THE CHALK IN A THREE INCH ROLLING MARKER it works pretty good but don't mark whole quilt at once.An I have a couple of chalk holders that the chalk is used like in ever sharp
butit's about the size of a colored penciles.an they work fairly nice an you can get diffrent colors for them an I got them at Joannes,or hancocks one an used coupon when i got them.
bought holder an got half off the refills.back when i got mine.
My hubby even liked using it at time for marking lumber.because it marked so easily.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 AM
dsj

I think I will try that for the darker fabrics.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:49 AM

thank you for the reply and picture. never heard of so many different items out there but I am learning something new everyday. Diane
Old 02-26-2010, 06:50 AM

I bought it and have used it once. I got pounce everywhere. Next time I'll be more experienced, and waaaaaaaaay more careful. But I do like it, it worked nicely for the stencil.