Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: quilt pricing for selling quilts

Quote Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom View Post
    Hi everyone,

After 3 failed attempts to get a full time position at my current job, I am contemplating starting a business of selling quilts. I would like to know how those of you who sell your quilts, figure out the pricing structure. Do you base the cost on the full price of the fabric? I buy all of my fabric on sale. I am going to figure the price of quilting at .01 per square inch for meander and .02 per square inch for custom quilting. That is in line with one of my local quilt shops.

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    On second thought, you might do better simply doing LAQ for others, rather than making a whole quilt from bottom up.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I onkly quilt for friends and family...there is NO way I could make enough..When I did woodcrafts for a living, the basic rule was materials times 3...Could you get that where you live...I have made quilts for good friends ..I just did a baby quilt that she paid for all the materials and gave me an extra $30...That was fine as I did is as a favor for a friend..I would rather give my quilts away than lower my price to compete with Walmart

Figure out how much it cost for everything in the quilt..you can give them the sale cost of fabric or retail...figure both costs and then decide....then multiply by 3. On deciding whether to give your actual cost of fabric of retail, maybe choosing a price between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom View Post
    I should have mentioned that I would not be quitting my part time job. This would be something that I would use to supplement our income with, and maybe put some money aside for extra vacations and such. With the cost of things, I thought this might be a way to help. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    What about teaching quilting in your home or long arm?

Blog Entries
    be sure you get a signed agreement. on price ,color, size , and time to get it done, and always get a 50% deposit, BEFORE you start.
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Good LA quilters are backed up with work. I don't suggest selling. Quilting will leave you no time to make quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by JBeamer View Post
    What about teaching quilting in your home or long arm?
    That would be a losing proposition in our area.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2