Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Program??? >

Quilt Program???

Quilt Program???

Old 11-27-2012, 02:54 PM

You mean it's not just me? I bought EQ6 years ago. Just couldn't keep it all in my head.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raynhamquilter View Post
You mean it's not just me? I bought EQ6 years ago. Just couldn't keep it all in my head.
I think those of us who haven't been able to figure it out are reluctant to post publicly about our difficulties.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post
Thank all of you for replying. I will check to make sure they will work with her computer. It is good to know also how user friendly they are. I do not know if mom would take the time to learn the program or just get frustrated that she can not figure it out.
Quilt Design Wizard is easier to figure out and you can get it for about $30. Might be able to use a coupon at Joanne's and get it for even less. It's a pared down version of Electric Quilt and will give your mom an idea how the full program works. But it does have limitations.

Here's a link where you can compare the two programs.

http://electricquilt.com/online-shop...zard/#tabs-top

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 11-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM
QM
Power Poster

I own both. (I inherited EQ7 and gave it a serious try. I really dislike it.) QuiltPro is easy to use just out of the box and does not require huge amounts of study. Recently, I broke my leg and need to keep it elevated. I don't know how I would have managed without my QP. Of course, one of the great advantages of either one is that you can play with patterns, layout, colors and fabrics without any waste at all. DH often looks over my shoulder and asks how one of my designs would look in a different colorway. Being sure you will have enough fabric for the job is another real plus. Both programs have great add ons it you want them. For paper piecing, it is great to be able to print what you ant easily. QuiltPro has (had?) a partial short time free download you can have her try out.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Darn. They had Quilt Pro on sale for 50% off on Black Friday ($65). Now it's back to full price. I might have to wait a year to get it!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

EQ7 has excellent lessons as part of the software, as well as a manual that covers everything. The user interface isn't perfect, but it isn't that bad either. I didn't find it particularly difficult to catch on, once I realized that I could answer most of my questions by looking at the help files. I still refer to those files whenever I need to use another aspect of the program.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 AM

Quilt Design Wizard is cheap and easy to use.
You do not design the blocks but use the ones in the software.
You can download new designs from the website.
It is fun to use. Great for seeing how different blocks go togather and for colors.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Is there a simple product for Mac? I really want to just design patterns and do not want all the extra features that I probably would never use. EQ is just so expensive. I use graph paper and colored pencils right now. It would be so much easier on the computer.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 PM

I got an EQ (whatever number last years was) and it isn't for everyone. I wanted to be able to use it to design art quilts and landscape quilts, swirls and whatever seemed right for an ocassion or for a specific person. I paid $50 to take 3 classes (but the first was already done so I only got 2) and I specifically asked if they did non-block, more freelance, and both the salesperson and the class instructor said "yes". Not a word or help for either. It was a total loss for me.