Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt query >

Quilt query

Quilt query

Old 05-06-2017, 08:41 PM

I must admit I have never used much else except straight and going around certain things I want to stand out.

Idle Di
Old 05-07-2017, 03:19 AM

As far as I'm concerned there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to make a quilt! Sew pieces of fabric together to make a top. Put something in between the top and the back to act as batting. Quilt it however you like. Does it stay together? Quilt complete!

As others have said, check the guidelines for the batting you are using. It will tell you how far apart in all directions to quilt. Does it tell you to do only straight lines? Umm, no. Does it tell you to only curved lines? Umm, no.

Quilt it how you want.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:37 AM

One of the joys of quilting ( for me at least!) is you do it to suit yourself. As long as it holds together and washes well.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:15 AM

The only thing I think you need to pay attention to is the batting requirements. If it says, can quilt up to 10 inches apart, don't do 12 inches. Other than that, do what you want. No rules.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:24 AM

*** No, it is your quilt , do it your way, Stitch in the Ditch, Cross Hatch, Line Quilting etc., but
*** if the batting says every 4 inches, 5 inches, try to stay in that range.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:54 AM

If that is so then I've been doing all of mine incorrectly! Haven't heard that "rule" either! Go enjoy whatever your heart tells you!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Idle Di View Post
Hi everyone, I appreciate all your help since I have been on this forum, but now I have been told that when you quilt, you should always, yes always stitch all over the quilt, not just in the ditch, not just around characters etc, but all over it, like a jigsaw puzzle. Is this correct, if so I have been doing it all wrong,

Idle Di
Whoever told you that - was an example of "the dreaded quilt police" -

Funny thing about SOME of members of "the quilt police" - they seem more ignorant/stupid/opinionated than the very informed quiltmakers.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
A number of years ago a new guy joined my work group. We were sitting in the staff room at lunch one day. I had just reheated my leftover spaghetti in the microwave, and was starting to eat when he quietly says, "you know, you're doing that wrong." I was flummoxed; what was I doing wrong? After some intense questioning, it turns out that he felt my Tupperware container was the wrong way to transport my leftovers, and the microwave was the wrong way to reheat it. The right way? Ziplock bag, then submerge it in boiling water, of course. This began many years of "you know, you're doing that wrong" jokes, even though he was actually not joking when he said it.

The moral of this story is, don't believe everyone who says you're doing it wrong... their way might be stupid.
My first inclination when someone says I'm doing something "wrong" is to say "who says?" Of course, my friend also once told me I was so far out of the box, she wasn't sure I knew where the box was. lol. I like it here
Old 05-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

The only thing you have to pay attention to is the quilting requirement for your batting. If you use batting that requires quilting every 2"-4" then you need to quilt fairly densely all over the quilt. If your batting allows up to 10" between quilting lines then you have more freedom to just quilt around a motif or around a block. It is also a good idea to have balance. Don't quilt heavily in one area then sparsely in another. Be consistent
Old 05-07-2017, 04:35 PM

you will find we are not big fans of "NEVER" and "ALWAYS" on this board!!