Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt query

Blog Entries

Quilt query

Hi everyone, I appreciate all your help since I have been on this forum, but now I have been told that when you quilt, you should always, yes always stitch all over the quilt, not just in the ditch, not just around characters etc, but all over it, like a jigsaw puzzle. Is this correct, if so I have been doing it all wrong,

Idle Di

I am far from an expert like many on this board, but I personally like stitch in the ditch. I am not competent enough to do the fancy stuff! Do what pleases you.

You can quilt it any way you like, as long as you check the guidelines on the batting you are using and keep the stitches within that range.

Blog Entries
    the amount of quilting is dictated by the batting reqirements... check the package for the minimum distance of quilting. any more than that is quilter's choice
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Banned
    I never listen to what I'm told........

The quilting is your decision. Sounds like you've been found by a Know It All. Just smile and then proceed to do what you want!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Oh thank you, I was just worried that I was not 'doing it right'

Idle Di

A number of years ago a new guy joined my work group. We were sitting in the staff room at lunch one day. I had just reheated my leftover spaghetti in the microwave, and was starting to eat when he quietly says, "you know, you're doing that wrong." I was flummoxed; what was I doing wrong? After some intense questioning, it turns out that he felt my Tupperware container was the wrong way to transport my leftovers, and the microwave was the wrong way to reheat it. The right way? Ziplock bag, then submerge it in boiling water, of course. This began many years of "you know, you're doing that wrong" jokes, even though he was actually not joking when he said it.

The moral of this story is, don't believe everyone who says you're doing it wrong... their way might be stupid.

It's your quilt, do what you want to do. Ignore the quilt police, or at least ask why when someone tells you what you 'should' do, especially when the word 'should' is accompanied by 'always'.

Having said that, some battings require that quilting be no more than 4 inches apart, some 8, some 10.

This site explains why better than I can.

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...distances.html
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Power Poster
    And it's okay to use only straight lines - or only curved lines - or a combination.

I think a quilt lays better if the quilting is more or less evenly spaced over the surface - but I may be wrong about that.

Blog Entries
    I must admit I have never used much else except straight and going around certain things I want to stand out.

Idle Di

As far as I'm concerned there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to make a quilt! Sew pieces of fabric together to make a top. Put something in between the top and the back to act as batting. Quilt it however you like. Does it stay together? Quilt complete!

As others have said, check the guidelines for the batting you are using. It will tell you how far apart in all directions to quilt. Does it tell you to do only straight lines? Umm, no. Does it tell you to only curved lines? Umm, no.

Quilt it how you want.

One of the joys of quilting ( for me at least!) is you do it to suit yourself. As long as it holds together and washes well.

The only thing I think you need to pay attention to is the batting requirements. If it says, can quilt up to 10 inches apart, don't do 12 inches. Other than that, do what you want. No rules.

Blog Entries
    *** No, it is your quilt , do it your way, Stitch in the Ditch, Cross Hatch, Line Quilting etc., but
    *** if the batting says every 4 inches, 5 inches, try to stay in that range.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    If that is so then I've been doing all of mine incorrectly! Haven't heard that "rule" either! Go enjoy whatever your heart tells you!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Idle Di View Post
    Hi everyone, I appreciate all your help since I have been on this forum, but now I have been told that when you quilt, you should always, yes always stitch all over the quilt, not just in the ditch, not just around characters etc, but all over it, like a jigsaw puzzle. Is this correct, if so I have been doing it all wrong,

Idle Di
    Whoever told you that - was an example of "the dreaded quilt police" -

Funny thing about SOME of members of "the quilt police" - they seem more ignorant/stupid/opinionated than the very informed quiltmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
    A number of years ago a new guy joined my work group. We were sitting in the staff room at lunch one day. I had just reheated my leftover spaghetti in the microwave, and was starting to eat when he quietly says, "you know, you're doing that wrong." I was flummoxed; what was I doing wrong? After some intense questioning, it turns out that he felt my Tupperware container was the wrong way to transport my leftovers, and the microwave was the wrong way to reheat it. The right way? Ziplock bag, then submerge it in boiling water, of course. This began many years of "you know, you're doing that wrong" jokes, even though he was actually not joking when he said it.

The moral of this story is, don't believe everyone who says you're doing it wrong... their way might be stupid.
    My first inclination when someone says I'm doing something "wrong" is to say "who says?" Of course, my friend also once told me I was so far out of the box, she wasn't sure I knew where the box was. lol. I like it here
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    The only thing you have to pay attention to is the quilting requirement for your batting. If you use batting that requires quilting every 2"-4" then you need to quilt fairly densely all over the quilt. If your batting allows up to 10" between quilting lines then you have more freedom to just quilt around a motif or around a block. It is also a good idea to have balance. Don't quilt heavily in one area then sparsely in another. Be consistent
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

you will find we are not big fans of "NEVER" and "ALWAYS" on this board!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The batting tells you the minimum distance you need to quilt so the quilt holds up in the wash. HOW you manage to get that quilting done is up to you. Stitch in the ditch is just one method. Meandering is another method. You can do different kinds of straight stitching or you can do different kinds of free motion stitching. Or you can combine the two. It is totally up to you.

Yes, to all the previous comments. I do not appreciate the pantograph designs of the longarm quilts but this is my personal preference. I have spent hours piecing a quilt and want that to be the highlight of the quilt. I prefer to do the quilting so the piecing stands out. This can be done with stitch in the ditch or echo quilting. There may be designs to put in "blank" spaces then to highlight that area or give emphasis to the piecing. Again--my personal thinking. Your quilt is your quilt--do it the way you will enjoy all of the process from selecting fabrics, creating and then using it!

Blog Entries
    absolutely not. The quilting design you choose is the one you want to choose! I personally do not care for an allover 'jigsaw' type pattern. I am more of a linear person and like to do STID or echo or diagonal lines or a meandering grapevine down the sashing. The only thing that should be considered (other than your plan) is the distance between stitching and the requirements of the batting. If your batting recommends no more than 6" between stitching, then figure that into your design. But, this also can be tweaked. If it is a wallhanging or something that will get little use, then you can do less quilting. I tend to do more quilting on a child's quilt because I assume it will be washed a lot and dragged around and played with so I want it a bit sturdier. Just remember - Your Quilt Your Plan!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bernamom View Post
    You can quilt it any way you like, as long as you check the guidelines on the batting you are using and keep the stitches within that range.
    What she said! Follow the manufacturers instructions, and if SID is not close enough, you can always go back over it in another straight line, or to corner to corner until you feel better able to FMQ.

Also, just so you know, "quilt police" members are self appointed, believe they "know it all" and don't even have cool badges like we give the judges at quilt shows! Even if a "quilt show judge" says something is amiss in your quilt, they are always just suggestions.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 05-09-2017 at 09:54 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

What do the batting requirements mean?