Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Retreat Games >

Quilt Retreat Games

Quilt Retreat Games

Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Angie Crowley View Post
Hello,
This is my first post so hope I did everything correctly.

I am going to and helping with 2 quilt retreats (3 day each Oh Fun Fun) and I am in need of some fun games that quilters might like to play in between completing (yeah sure) there UFO's.

I would appreciate any help anyone might help me with.

A quilting friend
Angie
My DD and I hosted a baby shower the other day. A game she found on line might work for you. It was as funny as all get out

Mystery Guest----------find (or seriously disguise) someone to play the mystery guest. Dress as wild as the person can and they will be carrying a big purse--Big purse--we used one of the jeans shopping bags I make. Anyway, fill it with stuff----------we had a back scratcher, a plastic juicer, noise maker, a bowling pin, flashlight------------stuff not generally in a purse. We had 25 items--------ran out of room since some things were pretty big. Now, one item has to be a fake invitation. Your guest will walk in looking for a nearby party (this may be a problem for you, depending on your facility) one that is at 1422 Red Hill Road instead of 1244 Red Bank Road. Anyway, the guest gets very frustrated, cause she doesn't see anyone she knows and Minnie (your choice) and her 90 year old hubby Clyde aren't to be found. Change the story to suit yourself. So in open view of your guests, this gal starts pulling stuff out of her bag looking for HER invitation that has the correct address and phone number--of course---it's at the bottom of the bag. So Mystery reads her fake address out loud and huffs and puffs and stuffs her belongings back in her purse and huffs out the door.

Then ask your guests to write all the times they can remember. You have to have someone who is a real cut up. The gal who did our mystery guest was hilarious. Most likely you'd have to ask one of your folks to do the job. The floppier the hat and more outlandish the clothes, the funnier.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-31-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM

LOL, I just looked at the posting date of the original question. Guess I'm a tad late with my answers!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:54 AM

Default Where are the answers??

Where are the answers?
Originally Posted by bj9patch View Post
Here's another game/quiz

Copy and paste this to a word document (you may have to do some reformatting) and make copies.

1. What do the following refer to Chain, Feather, Herringbone, and Outline
a. Quilt making patterns
b. Appliqué patterns in popular use from the 1840s - 1860s
c. Stitches found on crazy quilts

2. Foundation blocks are found in which group of patterns?
a. Log Cabin, Pineapple, Press Piecing
b. Dresden Plate, Sun Bonnet Sue, Rose of Sharon
c. School House, Star of Bethlehem, Ocean Waves

3. What form of quilting originates from Laos?
a. Molos
b. Pa nDau
c. Trapunto
d. Sashiko
e. Palampores

4. Who is the inventor of the sewing machine?
a. Elias Howe
b. Isaac Singer
c. Richard Sears

5. Which term does not belong?
a. Garden Maze
b. Lattice
c. Binding
d. Sashing

6. Which of the following quilt patterns is not thought of as being in vogue in the 1930's?
a. Drunkard's Path
b. Grandmother's Flower Garden
c. Double Wedding Ring
d. Dresden Plate

7. What is the International Quilt Association known for?
a. Honoring a quilter every year who has made a difference in the quilting world.
b. Sponsoring the World's Largest Quilt Show.
c. Holding an annual conference in which over 250 classes and lectures are offered
d. All of the above.

8. What do the following have in common Echo, Stipple, Meander, Crosshatch:
a. Quilt making techniques
b. Quilting patterns
c. Methods of joining patchwork

9. Where might one find the Language of Flowers?
a. Baltimore Album Quilts
b. Crazy Quilts
c. Appliqué Quilts
d. All of the above

10. What innovation in quilting was introduced at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia?
a. The Crazy Quilt
b. The first electric iron
c. Rotary Cutters

11. What do these things have in common: Hand of Friendship, Duck's Foot in the Mud, Bear's Paw?
a. They are the names of square dance movements
b. They are the titles of Victorian children's stories
c. They are different names for the same patchwork pattern
d. They were popular appliqué patterns during the late 1800's

12. What are the following names: Turkey Red, Indigo Blue, Double Pink, Nile Green?
a. Crayola crayon colors
b. Watercolor paint colors
c. Rainbow Brite's friends
d. Fabric colors

13. What characterizes a "summer spread"?
a. Light colors
b. No backing
c. No batting
d. Smaller than bed quilts, made to be used as picnic cloths

14. What do the following have in common: Baby Block, Thousand Pyramids, Trip Around the World?
a. Children's toys/games
b. Patterns of Asian origin
c. One-patch patchwork patterns

15. Which quilt making technique has always been done by machine?
a. Seminole patchwork
b. Prairie points
c. Miniature quilts

16. What characteristics are associated with Folk Art Quilts?
a. They are made by people who have had no artistic training.
b. They are made for visual impact, not quilt making excellence
c. They have a spontaneity about them, often containing whimsical elements
d. They have crudely shaped design elements

17. What do the following have in common Diamond in the Square, Bars, Center Square?
a. Types of cookies
b. Amish quilt patterns
c. Square-dancing formations
d. All of the above

18. What do the following have in common Charm Quilts, Scrap Quilts, Postage Stamp Quilts?
a. Popular quilt styles in the early 1900's
b. Patterns were obtained through mail order sources
c. Quilts used a wide variety of fabrics
d. Quilts were tied as opposed to quilted

19. Which of the following is created by a series of fabric folds to create an origami-type pattern?
a. Attic Window
b. Cathedral Window
c. Doves in the Window

20. What are the following Tapestry, Crewel, Upholstery, Quilting?
a. Types of yarn
b. Types of fabric
c. Types of needles
d. Types of scissors

21. Which term does not belong?
a. Border
b. Prairie Point
c. Piping
d. Scallop

22. What are the following Bodkin, Boot Spur, Emery Pouch?
a. Articles of clothing
b. Sewing tools
c. Quilting Patterns

23. Where is "Quilt City, USA"?
a. Houston, TX
b. Lowell, MA
c. Kutztown, PA
d. Paducah, KY

Whoever gets the most right wins something.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
My DD and I hosted a baby shower the other day. A game she found on line might work for you. It was as funny as all get out

Mystery Guest----------find (or seriously disguise) someone to play the mystery guest. Dress as wild as the person can and they will be carrying a big purse--Big Purse--we used one of the jeans shopping bags I make. Anyway, fill it with stuff----------we had a back scratcher, a plastic juicer, noise maker, a bowling pin, flashlight------------stuff not generally in a purse. We had 25 items--------ran out of room since some things were pretty big. Now, one item has to be a fake invitation. Your guest will walk in looking for a nearby party (this may be a problem for you, depending on your facility) one that is at 1422 Red Hill Road instead of 1244 Red Bank Road. Anyway, the guest gets very frustrated, cause she doesn't see anyone she knows and Minnie (your choice) and her 90 year old hubby Clyde aren't to be found. Change the story to suit yourself. So in open view of your guests, this gal starts pulling stuff out of her bag looking for HER invitation that has the correct address and phone number--of course---it's at the bottom of the bag. So Mystery reads her fake address out loud and huffs and puffs and stuffs her belongings back in her purse and huffs out the door.

Then ask your guests to write all the times they can remember. You have to have someone who is a real cut up. The gal who did our mystery guest was hilarious. Most likely you'd have to ask one of your folks to do the job. The floppier the hat and more outlandish the clothes, the funnier.
Oh!! I just love this!!!! We have some colorful women in the grp. They will probably fight to play the woman LOL LOL

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-31-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:44 PM

Do you have the answers?
thanks
Old 12-31-2017, 04:49 PM

These are great multiple choice questions? Don't give away the answers! We can all research on the internet and learn!
thank-you!
Old 01-01-2018, 01:24 AM

Love "mystery guest". We have played bingo with fabric squares. At the beginning of the retreat each person is given a small bag of 2 inch squares to make their own bingo card. After we've played volunteers put the squares together for a comfort quilt.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:04 AM

Here's a simple one:
Dice Game
It is better to be lucky than smart when playing this simple dice game.
Equipment: a pair of dice, paper and pencils

The spots on a pair of dice can add up to eleven possible combinations (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12). The object of this game is to be the first to roll them all. Players sit in a circle and take turns rolling the dice. With each roll, they add up the total number of spots and write the sum on their score sheet. The first player to catch all eleven ways the dice add up is the winner.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:05 AM

Here's another one, but I haven't done it at a retreat yet (the problem at our retreat is that by the time we meet for games, it's a bit darker in the room)
Spoons is a great game for groups. At least three players are needed to play, and more players means more fun.
Players sit in a circle on the floor or around a table. Spoons are placed in the middle, one fewer spoon than players. Each player, including the dealer, gets four cards. The dealer takes one card from the deck. If it improves his hand, he adds it, discarding another card, which he slides to the player on his left. If not, he passes the card on. The player on his left does the same until all players are passing cards.
The first player to collect four of a kind quietly takes a spoon. When the others see the spoon taken, they grab for a spoon. One player will be left without a spoon and is eliminated from play. Play continues until one player is left.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 AM

Here's another idea, which has 'quilty' possibilities. The games would have to be 'toned down' for the age group in our quilt retreat, but I think you could come up with some possibilities:
Minute to Win it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mhhU4Wbqi8
I watched this and chose several that we could adapt for our group – see what you think. It’s a long video with partyers, but some good ideas.