Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Retreat Locations >

Quilt Retreat Locations

Quilt Retreat Locations

Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 AM

I am looking for a location for a quilt retreat for my quilting bee. In the past we've rented vacation homes but it would be nice to find a place that has cutting tables, ironing boards, sewing tables, etc. set up so we only need to bring our machines and supplies. Ideally meals would also be furnished - don't want to waste time cooking! And of course at least one quilt shop must be close by. We live in the Denver CO area so would want it to be within a days drive.

Hope you can give me some suggestions. I've seen several places on the Internet but the best sounding ones are 800 miles away.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 AM

have you inquired at our LQS? I know I have seen some ads for CO when I am visiting the grandson, but cannot think of where right off the top of my head
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 AM

There are several places in Colorado for retreats. Most places aren't already set up with cutting tables and ironing boards though. I know the Greeley guild goes to some place in Highlands Ranch. There's a place somewhere in the Canon City - Co. Springs area called The Abbey I've heard good things about. There's a really nice B&B in Black Forest that might make a good retreat location but you'd probably have to do something else for food because I think she only does breakfast.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 AM

http://www.blackforestbb.com/gettinghere.html
http://www.hideawayreservations.com/index.html
Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jgangloff View Post
I am looking for a location for a quilt retreat for my quilting bee. In the past we've rented vacation homes but it would be nice to find a place that has cutting tables, ironing boards, sewing tables, etc. set up so we only need to bring our machines and supplies. Ideally meals would also be furnished - don't want to waste time cooking! And of course at least one quilt shop must be close by. We live in the Denver CO area so would want it to be within a days drive.

Hope you can give me some suggestions. I've seen several places on the Internet but the best sounding ones are 800 miles away.
I have gone to retreats sponsored by the Rambling Rose Quilt Shop in Cheyenne Wells. In the past it has been in Sharon Springs, Kansas but the one in April is going to be in Flagler, Colorado. You work on your own projects. Have had lots of fun at all that I have attended.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 PM

Our guild goes to a retreat just outside of Red Lodge Montana. It would be a very long days drive for you. It is called Medicine Flower Lodge. Our group is usually about 20 people and we have plenty of room. She caters to quilters and has every thing you need. The meals are wonderful and the prices for the retreat are very reasonable. The quilt shop in Red Lodge is new, but Billings, that has 6 quilt shops, is less then an hour away, Red Lodge is a gateway to Yellowstone National Park, as a side trip coming or going. Red Lodge has a lot of little tourist shops. We are planning our 7th retreat for this fall, and would not consider going any place else. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a road trip. Did I mention there are two hot tubs on site, and she provides bedding. Google it, she is on line. The owners husband happens to be a lifetime friend of my dad. There are also a lot of quilt shops along the way.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 PM

Oh, the Red Lodge retreat sounds wonderful! That is one of my favorite places to go!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:42 AM

Our guild stays at a hotel Friday night, and Saturday night. We stay at a Country Inn and Suites, so that gives us gals the choice of staying alone, with one friend, 2 friends or 3 friend (there are 2 queen beds and a sofa sleeper...) Having more people in the room reduces the cost. I stay with one roommate, and the cost of the room (which also pays for the conference room we use) is $110 per person. We all pitch in and bring the big boards, cutting mats etc. Friday night is pretty much every man for himself (some choose to bring a sandwich or something) Breakfast is served at the hotel, Saturday morning, many go out shopping (since the shops here are Amish and closed on Sunday) so they eat lunch out. Saturday night we have our "wine and cheese party" -- it started out as simply that, wine, cheese and a few munchies, but after a severe snowstorm, where we knew getting out for a meal was going to be not such a great idea, we make it more substantial foods. We are limited in that we are not allowed crockpots and such, but we still have more than we can eat, and bring the leftovers back out of our room refridgerators for Sunday lunch.