Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is "Quilt" sewing machine worth it? >

Is "Quilt" sewing machine worth it?

Is "Quilt" sewing machine worth it?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 PM

Is Bernina the only maker of the Stitch Regulator?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:34 AM

An update: I went ahead and ordered the Brother Innovis 600 at 1:30pm on Tuesday and it was at my door, no shipping charge, by noon the next day! Not only that, but they included free FIFTY rolls of thread and a whole set of scissors. I've set it up, had a play, and I really love it! I know it's more machine than I need, but it was on sale and I just wanted it. So far, I've no regrets. I did lots of Internet searches for reviews on both the machine and the company I bought it from.

I'm happy and off to sew my first-ever patchwork project.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:45 AM

Good luck,, enjoy.... i just bought myself a Brother Innovis as well... let's have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Looks like the Silver 20HD is a machine you can get in the UK.

I, personally, would love a machine just for quilting, but I also like to make accessories (putting in zippers and making button holes), purses, and some clothing, so I have to have an all around machine. All my machines are regular sewing machines. Several have the drop feed dogs option and I do FMQing on those.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Bernina has a patent on the stitch regulator.
The only way you can get one for a domestic machine is if it is a strait stitch that is set up on a frame.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by JaneH View Post
Thanks for the replies. Looks as though opinion is split. MPSPEEDY, I don't think all quilting is machine by a long shot! I can't imagine finishing a quilt completely without a good bit of hand sewing, but I would like to have a machine to do what it can, where it can, and when it can.

Corginole, I agree that probably most of those stitches would be wasted on me, but it does do a couple of alphabets, which I think would be handy as I do sew on cards and scrapbook layouts, too. The machine is expensive at just over 600 British pounds, but then EVERYthing over here is more expensive! They are throwing in a lot of extras, probably nearly 100 pounds worth. It's from a craft channel on TV so no way to test it, unfortunately. No sewing machine shops around here to look at either. I have a Brother PS550 now, which hasn't been used enough (according to my husband, at least) but I really, really liked the demos on this Silver machine.
It is easy to be impressed with a sales pitch on a shopping channel, but please do not spend that kind of money on a machine you cannot even try before you buy. There is something to be said about having the sewing machine dealer handy: first if you want a fancy machine you can try it out and possibly sell them your old one. Second you have a place that will show you how to use all of the features of the machine. Third they are there for service and maintence. As someone stated earlier, you can find out how much servicing the machine is going to cost in advance. If you think the fancy stitches would be lost on you why would you invest in a machine that has them. Take some time to think about this purchase and whether or not you are being romanced by a slick sales pitch rather than a need to buy.
Jovi
Old 12-10-2011, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by windycitygal View Post
It is easy to be impressed with a sales pitch on a shopping channel, but please do not spend that kind of money on a machine you cannot even try before you buy. There is something to be said about having the sewing machine dealer handy: first if you want a fancy machine you can try it out and possibly sell them your old one. Second you have a place that will show you how to use all of the features of the machine. Third they are there for service and maintence. As someone stated earlier, you can find out how much servicing the machine is going to cost in advance. If you think the fancy stitches would be lost on you why would you invest in a machine that has them. Take some time to think about this purchase and whether or not you are being romanced by a slick sales pitch rather than a need to buy.
Jovi
Thanks for the good advice, but as I stated in message #42 on 12-01-2011 of this thread, I've already bought a machine now. It's a Brother Innovis 600, not the Silver I originally asked about. I was just a bit wary of the Silver brand. I bought from a very highly recommended online sewing machine dealer (they do also have a bricks & mortar shop) here in England. I've been reassured that this dealer is very good with his customer service.

Unfortunately, I live in an area with precious few local dealers or fabric shops, so we have to make do with ordering online. We don't have the luxury of "having a dealer handy". But I'm very happy with the new machine so far. I probably won't use ALL the stitches (400+) but it's nice to know they're there if I ever do! With five granddaughters and three grandsons to sew for, I can see I might well find some use for them.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:47 AM

Enjoy your Brother.... my dealer tells me they are a super machine... much improved from the old days... still haven't taken mine out of the box, but am saving that for some "me" time once i get thru the Holiday!!!!
I saw this machine and it's a beauty...
Here's an idea... how about doing a block of every stitch on your machine... and making a quilt with that!!
I did that with my Designer 1 and have a pile ready to border and assemble... it's fun to see how they come out
Keep us posted... and ps... i visited your blog and those fabrics are wonderful.... love them... Barbara