Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is "Quilt" sewing machine worth it? >

Is "Quilt" sewing machine worth it?

Is "Quilt" sewing machine worth it?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 AM

Hi, I used a Brother for over 40yrs. Reg type machine I bought for $69.00 at a discount store. It finally quit. My hubby took me shopping. I ask for a needle down machine with some extra stitches with a wide throat. Well, we found it at a very discounted price. The shop was selling their last yrs model JUKE (mechanical w/part computerized) and we bought it. It is an industrial type machine and takes alot of sewing easily and quilting (30 yr.quilter). It also has and embrodery alphabet and lots of feet. I bought it at the Singer Sewing Center in Brownwood, Texas. Check all your local store for a factory closeout or shop closeout. I checked out all the computerized machines and found they are hard to live with and the feet cost abundle(they do not come with extra feet). Pluse you cannot leave the plugged in due to electric or storm outages. Its like have a computer on line all the time. I like it. But my hubby found an long arm quilting machine from a person who purchased a brand new one. He bought it because the price was right and he knew liked to make bed size quilts. NOT COMPUTERIZED..........on a hard frame that the parts can be bought at the hardware store. It works great. Take you time and find and seek what you really want.... make a list and start a search and do not rush into anything. I am very satisified with what I have and so far intent to keep them. Also found a working treddle for $25.00. A friend sold her serger and I bought it. ( My hubby wanted me to have one for years but I said too much money) So now do a 1/4 of the regular cost, barely used. Good Hunting to You.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to take the advice of waiting awhile before I jump. I won't be making any large quilts for quite awhile. I'm going to start on small things: first up are a set of "mug rugs"!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a Bernina 830 and I love the stitch regulator also. I machine quilted one table runner only. I send out the rest. When I bought my machine, it came with a long arm table. But it means I would have to move my machine back and forth, and I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm afraid I might hurt it.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:53 PM

I've never heard of this machine, but the features it has certainly add to the machine quilting experience. The best is the larger harp area. Needle up down is invaluable, self threading saves me from saying many bad words. I don't have a dual feed, but think that would be a great feature as well.

I agree with the majority on the hype about the fancy stitches. I do use some of mine, but that would be the least missed of the features my machine has. The companies know what they are doing. Most of us would be happy with fewer fancy stitches but still have the other goodies. If they did that though, they'd have to charge less!!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 PM

I use my designer 1 embroidery machine for my quilting & i use all the quilting designs even hoop my blocks so there isn't any puckers in back . good luck with your machine it looks nice. enjoy
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 PM

I have a Viking "Mega Quilter" and love it. It's dedicated to doing machine quilting, not electronic, but a heavy-duty machine that quilts like a dream. I was tearing up my Pfaff and couldn't get nearly the speed that I get with the Mega Quilter. Take some sandwiched fabric and try it out. I keep mine set up along with my other machine.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 PM

I love the stitch regulator on my Bernina! If I were buying a machine I would want to try it out and I would make the purchase from a dealer who would give me good service.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Can't help you there. I know nothing. I have two old half worn out machines. I do mostly handstitching. But, I am saving for a long arm cause I like to drive! hehehe!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:47 PM

I would want to be able to see in person and if that can't be I would want to know that if your not happy you could send it back no problem/questions asked. It's a good idea to check online and see if there are any complaints about that machine or company that makes it. Sometimes things that look to good to be true are. Make sure you have some kind of warranty to protect you and your new machine. Good luck can't wait to hear how it is if you get it. Sue
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
the extra space is the only thing worth the money.
Ok...my question is, can you actually buy a machine with extra space without spending a boatload of money? Ive been looking for something to buy when I get my taxes back that has more throat space and the ability to drop the feed dogs, and the cheapest thing I've found is 700 bucks! Which is out of my price range, unfortunately. *sigh*

Donna