Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is "Quilt" sewing machine worth it? >

Is "Quilt" sewing machine worth it?

Is "Quilt" sewing machine worth it?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM

I have sewn for years and although I now have a stitch regulator (that I love) the biggest difference I notice is the space between the needle and the motor. My new machine has about 9-10 inches and it makes a world on difference as my quilts get bigger and bigger while piecing them.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:27 AM

If i wanted a quilt machine then i would go get an industrial machine that comes with a long throat...there are many used ones around for good prices and the main thing for quilting is no foot or a quilting foot, putting the presser handle down and doing your own magic stitching.... this type of machine could use the Flynn frame easily but you don't have to have a frame.... if you want the fancy stitches, then that's a different thing...

... take a little sample sandwich to a used machine store and play ... see what you think.... DON'T forget to put the presser lever down....good luck....
Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 AM

You can machine quilt and get along just fine with an old-fashioned Singer 201 or 301. I did it for many years until a year ago I decided that it was time to get computerized. I "stepped up" to a Husqvarna Viking Lily that I found on Ebay for under $500. To me that was a good price for being computerized, and a lot of my friends had Vikings and I was somewhat familiar with them. They are very user friendly and I am thrilled with my Lily. I have really gotten into machine quilting with it. But I still jump on my 301 for quick straight stitching. I have my eye on now upgrading to the Husqvarna Sapphire. But I will never buy new. Too many deals out there in the used market for these pricey computerized machines. Just my 2 cents!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:33 AM

My H.Viking Sapphire is wonderful. 10 in throat and needle down. Drop in bobbin. Lot of fancy stitchs that I rarely use.
The best feature is the pop up foot in needle down mode. It pops up just a little when you stop sewing. Perfect for aplique and piecing. No lever to lift or lower feet, this is automatic when you start to sew.
The only flaw is the low area to change feet, needles, it is cramped for your hand.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:11 AM

Rose Marie, I'm so jealous of your Viking Sapphire! I want one so bad, but yet I still love my Lily. Maybe if I sell a few of my Featherweights I can affort one!

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
My H.Viking Sapphire is wonderful. 10 in throat and needle down. Drop in bobbin. Lot of fancy stitchs that I rarely use.
The best feature is the pop up foot in needle down mode. It pops up just a little when you stop sewing. Perfect for aplique and piecing. No lever to lift or lower feet, this is automatic when you start to sew.
The only flaw is the low area to change feet, needles, it is cramped for your hand.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I can quilt every quilt I make on my Juki TL98QE or Babylock Jane, straight stitch only. I make some pretty large quilts.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:47 AM

A stitch regulator seems more important than the wider throat. Just MHO!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:44 AM

Besides my Sapphire I also have a Baby Lock Jane on an Imperial frame. Jane is a strait stitch with the 9 in throat. It has a primitive threading system with many steps. I run out of bobbin thread in about 2 rows of quilting and it is also difficult to use since it is a metal bobbin holder under the machine. I did buy a stitch regulator for it and I like that very much but havnt perfected it yet with the speed adjustment as it skips stitchs sometimes if I move to fast.
You can only do a very narrow row of quilting with this kind of system so it is limiting. I mark my quilt with a 4inch ruler to be sure I dont run out of room.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:37 AM

If you can afford a specific machine and you feel it makes your hobby more enjoyable why not?
For me, I like the extra harp space. It makes things a bit easier. But If I were making a very large quilt
I would send it out to be quilted or borrow (pay for time) on my nearby dealers long arm, quilt set up.
If you like the large decorative quilting stitches, the 9mm machines have thier advantages. If you like easy as pie piecing I favor 5.5 mm machines, or a straight stitch machine like a feather wieght.
If you like to free motion quilt I favor a Bernina with the BSR.
Maybe you need to keep quilting and then figure out what you need for the type of quilts you are making.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:13 AM

May i add (having been fortunate enough to afford here in my later years), that if you have any space available... the money i spent on a Grace Frame that can assemble from 5ft to 10ft or more,, along with a high speed janome 6600, is lots of fun... i tried doing 2 quilts on my standard machine and almost having thrown it out the window.. (not a patient person LOL) i decided to check this package out.... for around 3,150.00 plus tax... i have a super set up!! Takes a couple of times to get used to it,,,and right now i only do loop de loop, and horizontal free motion... but i make quilted fabric for totes... and can quilt up my tops in no time... projects get finished... it's wonderful...i am thinking about buying the speed control now that i know i love it,, that's around 600.00...
I just wanted to share this info... i know some machines are very pricey... i have 6 other's i love.. a Desinger 1, that's only used for embroidery.. that cost me 4,000, back in 2000... and i've sewn with it twice!! Give me a basic for piecing...
anywhoooo,,, that's my suggestion... as a testament for quilting for fun....