Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt shops closing >

quilt shops closing

quilt shops closing

Old 04-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Here in southern New Hampshire, we are down to a few shops: The Bunkhouse Quilt Shop, Lyndborough, NH. The Quilt Patch, Bedford, NH. Quilted Threads, Henniker, NH. All are terrific! In central (Lake Winnepesauke region) there is, of course, Keepsake Quilting. However, since they were bough out a few years ago, it is just not the same. More kits than I think are necessary, but that's my opinion. In southern Maine, there is Knight's Quilting, on Rt 1 in York, ME. A wonderful shop, too. Oh, one in north central Massachusetts that's very good is Cobblestone Quilts in Townsend, MA. We also have a fabric store (sells everything), Martin's House of Cloth in Manchester, NH. Our local Walmart still sells fabric and Jo-Ann's has upgraded their quality it seems. Next time I am in Maine, I will have to go to Marden's as I've heard so much about it.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:42 PM

I feel very fortunate that we have Hancocks, Joann's, Hobby Lobby plus several LQS within a half hours drive. But I love ordering on line since I never have to leave the house!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:11 PM

Those of us in rural or semi-rural areas do not have the fabulous choices of those of you who live in metropolitan areas. However since most of us are here by choice, we put up with having to drive a half hour to an hour for all the goodies, since we don't have to put up with the traffic the rest of the time. The only local fabric is at Wal-Mart and is not always of the best quality, but in general is usable.

I finally found the quilt shop in Waco yesterday and was totally enchanted with the variety, quality and friendliness of the shop. Will definitely be visiting them again, but must have a fuller pocketbook before I go as most of the fabric is $8.50/yd...worth it, but not what I'm used to paying. Noticed that it was the same pricing as Joanne's nicer quilting fabric however. They had taken advantage of every inch of space in the shop, while somehow managing not to feel cramped. Even had a couple of chairs with an array of quilting magazines plus a playmat with a selection of toys and books for young ones on either side of the entryway. So if you are ever in Waco, Texas be sure to go by Tomorrow's Quilts at 800 Lake Air Drive. You'll be glad you did!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:44 PM

I have three that I love to go to within 20-30 minutes of me. Each has its own flair. There are more a little further away.

Keepsake (mentioned before)
Country Heart Quilters (Plymouth)
Quilted Frog (Laconia)
Quilting Corner (Tilton)
Winnepausakee Quilting (ebay store -has sales at her house -Laconia - pardon my spelling)
another - can't remember the name, (Andover)
Golden Gese (Concord)
Peggy Anne's (Concord)
In Stitches (Concord)-like a sewing studio
Apple Tree (somewhere a little past Concord)
Oh, the place up in North Conway at a Vac and Sew
That's before I mention Maine -
particularly like my newest discovery
Cottonweeds (Freeport, ME.)
and I agree Marden's is like treasure hunting.
I guess I'm spoiled.
And, while I have bought a little bit of fabric on line, I love to touch it and if there is a sample hanging for a project and I love it, I'm bound to buy the pattern.

Please, don't get me started on yarn shops.
lots2do

PS This is considered a rural area as far as New England goes but loads of tourists in the peak season so maybe that's part of it. Concord is the big city in this neck of the woods.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:02 PM

I have a cousin who lives in Waco. Small World.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:04 PM

We recently had 4 fabric shops. Three quilt shops and Walmart. But in the last 6 months one of our shops closed and now I found out this week that another is closing So sorry to see them close.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:54 PM

We had one shop here in town - she moved out of state, as did her shop - she tried to sell it - but... her interest was mostly selling machines and the business did not do well anyways (maybe this had to do with no one wanting to buy it?). Another store just north of here (reasonable distance) closed due to the owners retiring. It was a nice shop but one of the reasons they had to 'retire' is because of online buying by their customers. It was a nice store, but they seemed more interested in working on their projects - even when customers were in the store. Then the third one just south of here (again, reasonable distance) is FANTASTIC!! and always hopping with customers - no matter what day of the week, or time of day, there are at least five or six other people there - it is a small shop, but they just extended to the next bay for a sewing room... yes, it's more expensive sometimes - but worth it. There are a couple more we frequent but are further away and we go to them when one of us wants more choices - about four or five times a year. I love supporting the mom/pop stores - as we have ours - in a different industry but still - small business owners need to help each other out when they can. The fabric people have to make a living too - they can't necessarily give us breaks all the time.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Have you ever been to Quilted Threads in Henniker (it's right in the town center - off Rt 114) and not too far from Concord?It's a great shop, too.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:18 PM

We have a local quilt shop in the small town where I live in southern PA. I went in there one day..and could not believe my eyes..the fabric was 9.99 a yard! ! ! Hubby and I go to Lancaster PA and the same fabric is 6.50 a yard. So..now we shop for fabric and buy lots at one time and it is a nice day in Lancaster. I don't know how this place is going to stay in business.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Oh yes! I forgot Quilted Threads. I haven't been there since the last expansion. Really need to get down there again. It is such a nice store.