Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt show and broken toe >

Quilt show and broken toe

Quilt show and broken toe

Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 PM

I've been on both sides of this one, so I say go! The last time I broke my toe, it stuck straight out from the side of my foot. The first few days were agony but within a week it was managable. Also I have a sister with MS and have pushed her in a wheelchair so she didn't have to walk. It made it easier for both of us because we could move much quicker than if she tried to walk.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM

I feel sorry about your broken toe and wish a good recovery.
Enjoy the show with the help of your friends !!!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:34 PM

Go, allow your friends to assist you, & I'd definitely get a wheelchair & a cane. Wal-Mart has adjustable canes that aren't expensive. You should be able to roll the wheels yourself with a little practice, so if you can't keep up with them, or want to move over to the side while crowds go through, they can come back for you. Carry ice packs in a cooler in case your foot & leg swell. You can put the leg up in the back seat of the vehicle on the way home. If they gave you pain meds, make sure to pack that, also. Your friends can make pics & you can look at them later in the week.

Please be careful, but I'm sure you'll be OK & have a great time. Be sure to post pics once you're feeling better.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:49 PM

Sorry about your toe. When I went too the quilt show at Paducah, I rented a scooter when I got there and saw how big the show was. I have a scooter at home but didn't want too be in the way. Some people were very rude and some were very nice. Those scooters can be turned down too almost a crawl especially if you don't push the button very hard. And unless someone steps out in front of you and stops dead still, you can stop it quickly. I didn't get too see a lot because I didn't want too hold up anyone walking from seeing things but most I saw on scooters or wheelchairs saw as much as the walkers did. GO AND HAVE A GOOD TIME
Old 05-09-2010, 11:41 PM

Don't let that toe hold you back. They always have motorized wheel chairs to rent. They're sort of pricey, but it's worth it. I had to rent one in Houston because the arthritis in my knees kicked in big-time, with all the walking. Go and enjoy it!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Gal

Sorry to hear about your toe, but yes, you should go, do you know anyone who could lend you a walking frame the one on wheels that has a seat to sit on when you need to and it has brakes and a basket underneath for shopping. My Mum has one which is brillient as it folds up, it is light and is much easier to push about than a wheelchair in a crowd, ask me how I know!!

Gal
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 AM

I have news I was looking on the web site for the QS and you can rent a scooter for it. If you go to the website and look under the MQSD 2010 tab it has a link that you can go to to look at the flier for the shop where you rent the scooters. I hope that this helps. There is also a number to call.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Maybe you could check on one of those motorized chairs. That would give you a little more freedom and less on your friends. But, I am sure they don't mind helping you. You would do the same for one of them.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM

I feel your pain. In my case I fall over the dogs, since they're always underfoot. Go and have a great time at the show. When people ask about your foot, tell the truth. It will resonate with most quilters and moms. 8-)
Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 AM

OUCH!! Sorry about your toe. I'll be visiting in Kansas City, Mo from May 12-17 and will definitely try to visit the show. So glad youy mentioned it.