Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt show and broken toe >

Quilt show and broken toe

Quilt show and broken toe

Old 05-12-2010, 03:25 AM

You can rent a kneeler scooter which is narrower than the motorized scooter. you kneel on it keeping the bad foot off the ground and push with the good foot. just be careful not to go too fast.my secretary use to have one and would go wizzing down the hall.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 AM

Ride in a chair if you need to, its no big deal! I would have the toe looked at by your regular ortho guy. The emergency room said mine was broken and sent me home in a slap shoe (which caused more pain than anything else it did for me :lol: ). It still hurt 2 weeks later when I saw the doctor. He redid x-rays and found 2 additional breaks :shock: and put me in a boot that came up to my knee and felt like heaven :D No pain to walk, and I was healed up in no time. Continued pain and swelling might indicate more of a problem than you think. Our feet take alot of abuse from us, take really good care of them!

Mary
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 AM

O.K, the verdict is in! I will be going to the Machine Quilter's Showcase in Overpark, Kansas tomorrow! The last two days I have made sure that I stood and walked most of the day to prepare my broken toe for the one day trip. I called the scooter place that was shown on the IMAQ website, but they will only rent a scooter or wheelchair for a min. of 3 days, they recommended that I bring a chair with me. I checked about renting something from our local health center, but they want $50 per day and I would need to rent it for 3 days because I would need to get it the day before and return it the day after. SO..... I will take my mother's cane and enjoy the show! Spent this morning making a list of purchases that I will look for, cleaned out my purse to make room for a tote bag. This afternoon I plan to drive into town to make sure I can operate the foot petals on the care. Then early tomorrow I will go pick up my friends and we are off!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Whoever had the idea of the horn....Great thought! When quilters get into that fabric zone...they don't look where they are going and just gooooooo.......
A horn or bell sounds like a great idea. Went to Disneyland on Monday and spent the day in the chair with DH or DS pushing me. We had a lot of people not watch where they were going and suddenly step in front of the chair. We ran into a couple people that way. I warned them if I could but a horn would have been nice

:)
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
just think.........being in a wheelchair gets you to the head of the Disney line.
It did get us ahead of the line. Though it wasn't a really crowded day but did hit a ton of rides!!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM

[quote=Bobbielinks]O.K, the verdict is in! I will be going to the Machine Quilter's Showcase in Overpark, Kansas tomorrow!

Let us know how the show is. This is the first year that I am not working it. :( If you have a chance, there is a new system out there to load quilts without pinning. Check it out and report back if you can. It has something to do with a large clamp and shrink wrap. there is another one out there that uses binder clips. Thats not the one I am interested in. Have a safe and fun time.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

I am disabled and walk with a walker, but to do shopping like we use to do or to look in antic stores we will get a wheel chair because I can't handle the pain. If I were you I would get a wheel chair and let your friends keep care of you, as they will enjoy there time more because you won't slow them down. I don't get to buy things any more, but to be able to do things would be great, so we are trying to save money so we can get a wheel chair from good will. can you imagin having to try in save $20.00. God bless. Penny
Old 05-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Yes Penny ,been there ,done that. I use to have 20dollars to spend on groceries and feed 3 kids on it. Put stuff back if I went over. embarassing. The Lord has blessed me tho. Jolo
Old 05-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Enjoy the show and let us know how it was. I hope your toe feels better. I broke my toe 2 days before my MIL 80th birthday party but I went........limping. I didn't wnat to miss the fun.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM

I would go.