Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show:What MUST I buy??? >

Quilt Show:What MUST I buy???

Quilt Show:What MUST I buy???

Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 PM

Lynnie, You will have a great time. When our guild or my friends go to a show, we visit the vendors first. Then the quilts, if we have time. Just kidding. Is the show on Long Island?
Old 04-06-2015, 07:24 PM

I'd be looking for a vendor that sells a pair of snips I love--they are handle free and very basic and sell for about $4 each--I usually buy several pairs!

also,things that I can't find locally
Old 04-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Lynnie, don't forget a sheet of return address size labels with your name, address & cell number printed on them- so much easier for all the vendors having drawings as well as those the Quilt show is sponsoring- so much easier!
Old 04-07-2015, 02:04 AM

I don't focus on what I should buy, but focus on what I should see. I look for products that have interested me, but want to see how they work before I buy them. I look for demonstrations of new products. Can't tell you how many things (mostly gadgets) I've seen in magazines and online that bring out the "gotta have" gene in me, only to find out they're not really worth the money once I've seen them in action.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I'd be looking for a vendor that sells a pair of snips I love--they are handle free and very basic and sell for about $4 each--I usually buy several pairs!

also,things that I can't find locally
Which snips do you love? I'm going to Paducah in a couple weeks and I will be looking for a new pair. I've had my Gingher ones for a long time and they're not sharp anymore.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I tend to buy things I have problems finding locally. whatever you can't find locally you can usually find at a quilt show
I'm with Dolphyngyrl. I check out LQS before I go and then I have an idea what's new there. Items that aren't there yet or may never be there are on my target!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:03 AM

At the Houston show, Hobbs usually has a large booth and they sell individual precut squares and bundles that contain one of each type of batting they sell. I usually only get the squares of batting I know I like, but I bought a bundle last year with the idea of making a quilting "book" that shows how each type of batting looks when it is quilted in different ways. However, that idea went away when I pulled pieces from the set for various items. Maybe this year . . . . .

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Someone actually sells precut squres of batting??? Who, where, when, tell me more please. Cutting batting for QAG squares is a tedious and agravating exsercise. I would love to find precut squares.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:04 AM

Check out the Kai booth, if there is one.

Originally Posted by stlkeeler View Post
Which snips do you love? I'm going to Paducah in a couple weeks and I will be looking for a new pair. I've had my Gingher ones for a long time and they're not sharp anymore.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 AM

I might be duplicating some of the already posted great advice but...

Before going to a quilt show, I go through my stash and look for things that I bought (because it was oh-so-cute!) and cut swatches to find things to go with it. I usually take a look though my pattern box (ok, boxes) to remind myself what and how many I already have, that keeps from buying duplicates and reminds me to only get a new pattern if its hard to find or just that great! Take a small note book that you can writing notes with pattern/tool/fabric names. If I see something I really like at a booth I'll note it on the back of their card so I can call them later if/when I've had time to consider ..."do I really want to spend money on that"...or if I'm not sure I already have it...

Take a camera! I always ask first, but have never been told not to take a picture.

Lastly have a fabulous time!
Old 04-07-2015, 05:19 PM

Always stop by the fabric store across from the quilt museum - always have great kits and well priced fabrics, backings, etc. They also have a party late Friday afternoon with games and prizes! Great fun!