Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show:What MUST I buy??? >

Quilt Show:What MUST I buy???

Quilt Show:What MUST I buy???

Old 04-06-2015, 07:59 AM

If I have time, I usually go through the event and make notes of items that interested me. Then I check my list to see what I really need. It helps curb impulse purchases. My best buy from a vendor show was numbered pins when they first came out.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Years ago, I bought a Brooklyn Revolver. I had a problem with it, and they are great, they gave me a new one, didn't ask for me to bring the old damaged one back, just gave me a new one. Great company!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:23 AM

When I go to the big quilt shows I buy very little. Mainly because they don't allow the rolling bags, therefore I must carry everything I buy. For the Houston and Dallas shows, I ride the guild's charter bus; so I'm there all day.
Most of the time I buy King Tut threads and tools that I can't find locally. If I see fabric that's unusual, then I'll buy some of it.
Sharon
Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I have only been to a few local quilt shows, and because of my arthritis, find I can only go if I take frequent rest periods. That said, I once attended 2 local quilt shows, searching for cat fabric, and I found the mother lode between the two shows, sometimes a fat quarter and sometimes more. I've used some of the larger pieces to make baby quilts, as linings for bags and tote bags, etc., etc. I had a blast, especially since the various vendors had such a great variety to choose from.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 AM

I have the Sunshine 16 and I love it!

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
I went to the Grand Rapids quilt show last August on the last day and for only the last 4 hours. Ended up getting a great deal on a roll of batting at the end of the day cause the dealer didn't want to haul it home. Bought one cone of superior thread. Did read that vendors are not allowed to discount items other than a show special. Hubby bought a vibrating pillow for his hurting back which did work. Was surprised at the number of none quilting vendors. Tried out the Sunshine midarm quilting machine. It is nice. Did discover that I like local quilt shows better.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 AM

I zero in on fat quarters that I cannot get around here. I adore fat quarters from very fancy, sparkly, metallic fabrics and I usually find a lot of them in Paducah every year. Also, I see quilts/tops made from patterns that are on display at the various vendors. Sometimes a pattern does not catch my eye, but if I see a quilt/top made from the pattern, then it is easier to visualize it. So, I buy (or not buy) a pattern from seeing it "done up". HTH
Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Because I live in the Houston area, I am lucky to be able to attend the Houston Quilt Show every year. I usually make a list throughout the year of things I see in magazines, online, etc., and small things that my LQS doesn't carry. I'd rather wait to find them at a show and forego the shipping.

I recommend that you take notes on the various booths if you see something that interests you -- booth number and name, item & price. That way, if you see it somewhere else, you can compare and get the better deal, or go back to that booth. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to locate a booth.

There are times I look for a particular pattern, then for the fabrics to make the pattern. I always go on the last day, because many of the vendors do discount their items. I got 7 kingsize batts one year for $100 plus tax ($15.35 each). And the last two years, I have gotten a Tutto (2013 - the small black, 2014 - the medium maroon) for more than 50% off.

I also buy the 18" batting samples, especially if there is a batting I want to try out. I will sandwich it and FMQ, straight line quilt and echo quilt and then cut them up for zipper bags, placemats and potholders.

Also, find out which teachers will be at your show (especially if it's a big one) and take some classes. I have been lucky to take classes in hand and machine applique from Karen Kay Buckley, embellishment from Susan Cleveland, and FMQ from Phillipa Naylor. I have taken classes in Zentangle, Hawaiian quilting, 3-D flowers and many more.

As someone said, wear comfortable shoes. Plan short breaks and stay hydrated. You will meet interesting people while you are catching your breath.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Really the only thing I know I will buy and look for at the big quilt shows are the pre cut 18" batting squares. That is the best bargain ever. I get the wool and silk squares. Those big pink bags everyone is carrying around? Full of batting squares.
Someone actually sells precut squres of batting??? Who, where, when, tell me more please. Cutting batting for QAG squares is a tedious and agravating exsercise. I would love to find precut squares.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:55 PM

I've never seen a great deal at a quilt show. I guess I'm going to the wrong ones.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

I'm hoping for a new ruler or kit. something different I haven't seen at JoAnns. wish me luck, it's this weekend.