Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show:What MUST I buy??? >

Quilt Show:What MUST I buy???

Quilt Show:What MUST I buy???

Old 04-05-2015, 04:16 AM

I have only been to one quilt show so am not much help. All I bought was a couple of packages of batting on sale the last day. I looked for things that I had never seen before or couldn't get locally, but really didn't see much that appealed to me. I think I got tired after all the walking around looking at the quilts which was my main focus.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:34 AM

I've been wanting to make a food jar quilt. The last show I was at I collected a bunch of food fat quarters from different vendors. It was nice having so many choices in one spot. I had been trying to match a certain red for a quilt & was able to find the perfect match at a show too.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:48 AM

I always make a list of what I am shopping for or have been wanting when I go to a show. That helps keep me from what I call passion purchases (stuff I really don't want and never use). As I get older and more experienced it is more difficult to find anything new and/or anything I really want. I'm now busy trying to clear out my (new) sewing room of stuff I don't want and don't use. But the minute I get rid of a tool I find a use for it! Go figure!

I, too, am interested in what Onebyone uses those 18 inch batting squares for. I have seen them for years but have no idea why people buy them.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:03 AM

I like to keep an open mind, and plan to spend a little money on whatever strikes my fancy - I'm a sucker for a good demo, so will buy patterns, rulers or other gadgets. I've never bought fabric, but I don't really like looking at it in that environment, and from what I have seen, no bargain. In particular, if Deb Tucker is doing a demo, there is little chance that I will get out of there without buying something
Old 04-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

I would be interested in finding a thick ruler foot for my domestic sewing machine. I would pick up a set of thick quilt rulers to go with it for ruler work. Sure wished they made a thick ruler foot for my Bernina!
Old 04-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Oh my goodness! I use the batting squares for all types of items. They are perfect for QAYG, cut into smaller squares for rag quilt batting, piece four pieces together for a long table runner or square wall hanging, making throw pillows quilted tops, perfect for practicing fmq, tote batting, the list goes on. The last baby quilts I made I used the batting tape to tape six blocks together for wool batting. The six squares cost about .25 each. Maybe went up in price since my last purchase. I buy all I can carry at one time.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Hi Lynnie. I always look for the unusual that I don't see at my local stores. Just have fun and take a camera for later inspiration!!
Old 04-05-2015, 07:54 AM

And if you see an item made up that you love and they sell the pattern, buy it. Don't think you can remember it for later
Old 04-05-2015, 07:55 AM

I usually buy supplies for my embroidery machine..bobbins, stabelizers, ect. Cheaper to buy larger quantities and not much choice where I live.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

great answers. I go to a few a year, and never know what to buy. but I like the idea of getting things I can't buy at home. thanks everyone.