Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Shows >

Quilt Shows

Quilt Shows

Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 PM

I've been to a handful of large shows (AQS, MQS and KCRQF--all a couple of times) I love going to see all the awesome quilts and get great ideas. and I like seeing a lot of vendors in one spot that carry such a variety of items that may not be available close by. I do agree that the crowds and costs can be significant "bad" factors, but like others, I save up my $$ to go and treat it like my college basketball loving DH does major tournaments---as a special treat to enjoy an interest I really enjoy. My guild also has an annual "small" show--admission is low, there are about 150 quilts hung, we aren't able to get more than 2-3 vendors, etc.
The big difference I see is that the big shows are for those of us that quilt and want to check out new--new quilt ideas, notions, classes. The smaller shows are more for quilters and non-quilting public--a chance to see lovely quilts that may be more in the comfort zone of non-quilts, etc.
But I wonder how many of you are like me and got totally hooked on the creative process of quilting-regardless of the type of quilting you like--by going to one of those bigger shows and seeing such variety? I can actually name the show where I stood there gazing at these amazing quilts and told myself--quilting is something I want to do!
Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 AM
Power Poster

I just love to see the quilts in person. I like to look at vendors' booths, but usually only buy something if there is a $5 fabric booth or discount books. Not paying retail.

I also love the Paducah show not only for the quilts, but for the whole town! Love the places to eat and Hancock's and Eleanor Burns' stores. Love the pop up shops, the AQS $5 book sale, all the walking and antiques and other shops there. And the last time I went I even found a yoga class... Suzi at the Yoga Room was awesome!

I love the excitement for quilting that is in the air during Quilt Week in Paducah. I may try to go to their first Fall show this year.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:35 AM

I love the inspiration that comes from seeing those "show" and "art" quilts. Even though I probably won't make one as "fancy," they do help me stretch my thinking about what can be done. I have a friend who make the same quilts over and over, and she is happy/content that way. But for me, quilting is about learning with every project, so I keep going to shows.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:33 AM

I used to go to all the big shows in my region. Everything was very expensive, from the hotel to food to parking. Now I just to to the Pigeon Forge Mountain Quiltfest. The hotels are reasonable, and classes are very reasonable. Of course the cost of venue food is out of this world. Four of us go down. We spend the whole week there. Take classes just about every day, and sew all night. I did go to Paducah this year ($50 for the bus ride) I will not go back.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:43 AM

I go to shows to see the beautiful quilts and get ideas for color combinations. I do buy fabric, because I'll see something I would never have run across on the internet. Love the $5 book sale, but don't attend any classes because the cost is just too much. Have been to one show that required me to drive half a day and stay in a hotel overnight, but realized that the fabric I bought really cost about $60/yard when I factored in hotel and gas, so will stick with the local shows which have quilts just as beautiful as the bigger shows.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 AM

I agree with a lot of their reasoning for not hiring a bus trip to go to the show.
The quilts are fantastic, but do they really need to charge $18.00 for a sandwich and a pop?

Watson
Old 06-22-2017, 05:12 AM

I guess we all get to choose what we spend our money on. Many of us have of budget and want the best bang for our bucks. I put some crackers and cheese and a couple of bottles of water in my bag. I love to looks at the quilts and take some pictures. I don't buy very much from the vendors unless it is really something I really can use. I love to watch the demos but don't buy too many single function tools-I just don't need more stuff to take care of. But, I love the shows and go to every one I can. I will go to one in northern Colorado in August-they even have a campground on site and we have a reservation for it. My husband will bring his hobby work to do in the camper while I go to the show.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Like Quiltingshortimer I have only attended a couple of big national shows. MQX New England and the AQS show that was in Syracuse for two years. Due to poor attendance in both classes and the gate, the Syracuse show was discontinued. So shows, especially major ones will fold if they don't get enough attendees to make a profit. I have never attended Houston or Paducah. I would love to go to either one or both some day.

My best quilt show buddy and I are super frugal. We pack lunches/snacks to bring with us as well as our own bottled water, we wear backpacks to haul our stuff around. We rarely eat at the venue. I save for splurge purchases like hand dyed fabric or wool applique kits. The thread vendors (Superior, Filtec and Wonderfil) almost always have a deal so I also pick up thread at these shows.

Shows are incredibly expensive, both for the attendee and the promoter. Venues charge insane amounts and the vendors also have to pay crazy expensive fees for a space. Many of the big names also sponsor the prizes (like the major machine manufacturers, and Superior threads) so if they don't do well vending the price funds will dry up as well.

I always enjoy shows but I don't feel the need to attend every single year. I think many feel the same way. I suspect there won't be as many shows if the trend continues.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 AM

I go to see the quilts, but also for the vendors. I buy a lot of fabric from them. Seems like less and less vendors. I like to touch the fabric which you can't do on line.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 AM

I have dietary restrictions and so I always take my own food and a couple bottles of water to start with. Its so much easier, I'm not sure why I didn't always take my own food. Yes, I do have to carry it with me, but as I eat things (I'm supposed to eat every 3 to 4 hours), my bag gets lighter! It works really well.