Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Shows >

Quilt Shows

Quilt Shows

Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 AM

I agree w/Patrice. I have been to Paducah for 11 yrs in a row; Houston 5 yrs but not consecutive. There are 3 girls from my guild that travel together & we make a good group. We have everything planned & then let loose when we get to Paducah. It is my vacation, plus enjoyable time w/wonderful friends. I enjoy the shows, don't take classes, marvel at the quilts, get jealous bec I don't have those talents, get ideas & overall just have a great time. It is a given that food & stuff will be expensive but that is something I plan for & live with. I hope all of you enjoy any future shows as much as I & my gal pals do. We're already planning for next Spring Paducah & have hotel reservations. Be happy & blessed. Kathy
Old 06-22-2017, 08:28 AM

I get inspiration from the quilts. I also love demos. I don't usually spend much at the vendors anymore because I have a stash and I live in a large metropolitan area with many quilt shops. I like when I can take classes but I only take classes at the large shows if I am able to stay for a couple days and have a hotel close to the venue.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Not too long ago i went to one show that had all teh quilts hanging from the ceiling! couldn't see anything!
Old 06-22-2017, 09:39 AM

At the last show I went to they were VERY strict about outside food and drinks. Absolutely none. We were held hostage to the over-priced food court. Watson
Old 06-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I go on bus trips with quilters. Not to save money but to have the fun of the trip with the quilters. That is the main reason for the bus trips isn't it? Not to save money or time. Many times I have thought why did these people come on this bus and be so negative, they could have stayed home. I get annoyed when someone starts harping about the cost of quilting items at shows, it's not a clearance spot for bargains. Don't buy if it is too expensive but keep your mouth closed about why your aren't buying. It takes the fun from others who are buying.

I don't think the food prices are that bad. Goodness it's right there, made when you want it. I take an empty water bottle and refill it at water fountains. Everyone does this at every quilt show I have been to.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-22-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:12 AM

I agree with a lot of what has been said so far. I first started going to shows in the 80's. I went to see the quilts and didn't know about anything else. The shows have come a long way to becoming like a business. I like seeing the quilts, mainly bed size not art quilts. I like the vendors. In my case I buy from vendors that I buy from on line, if they are there, and I get to see the items and don't have shipping charges. As a rule I'm looking for a bargain/discount/something to encourage me to buy from you. Most vendors' prices are the same(too high) and the classes are totally out of sight, like taking a college course! I'm always looking for items that I can't get locally.
Now I'm a quilter, and I'd say a serious quilter, BUT, I would not even entertain the thought of traveling hundreds of miles by plane, staying in a hotel for 3 to 5 days, just to look at quilts.

Jan
Old 06-22-2017, 12:42 PM

My gal pals and I have traveled (twice) and stayed all week in a hotel to attend a quilt show. Like others here have said, we go as a "learning" vacation. We take classes, shop, visit the local quilt shops, eat out and have a blast. I come home so rejuvenated with awesome ideas. I will go again!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

BUT, I would not even entertain the thought of traveling hundreds of miles by plane, staying in a hotel for 3 to 5 days, just to look at quilts.
The first time I flew to one I felt so indulgent but as DH said it's less then 1/4 of his hunting trip to the middle of nowhere in Canada and he wasn't about to give that up and he has never ever felt indulgent about it. One day I won't be able to go so I go as much as I can while I can.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
At the last show I went to they were VERY strict about outside food and drinks. Absolutely none. We were held hostage to the over-priced food court. Watson
They would have heard from me about that since there would be nothing in the food court that I could eat without risking ending up in the bathroom all afternoon.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
They would have heard from me about that since there would be nothing in the food court that I could eat without risking ending up in the bathroom all afternoon.
Right. I've never been approached by anyone about bringing my own snacks or sandwich. But I don't make a picnic out of it. I buy a drink from the concession so the logo stands out and no one looks at what I'm eating.