Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is a quilt that's machine pieced/quilted any less hand-made? >

Is a quilt that's machine pieced/quilted any less hand-made?

Is a quilt that's machine pieced/quilted any less hand-made?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
- forge a needle
I don't know why, but this one made me bust out laughing. Then I imagined prospecting the metal to make the needle. Which I found even more hilarious.

On that note I am impressed with anyone who does have the skill and patience to hand quilt even a halfway decent looking quilt. A year or so ago I was at the LQS for a couple hours. During my visit the owner was hand sewing some nine patches and insisted on teaching me to hand sew. I said, "Sure. Why not?" I did make a pretty decent block, but the whole time I was frustrated with it and it took me like half an hour to do. My stitches weren't even, I couldn't keep the stitches a short length, and I had trouble pushing the needle through. I thanked her for teaching me, but had to politely tell her this frustrated me too much.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Eri

I think any quilt that is made by a human who *cares* about the quilt and where it is going to end up should be considered hand-made.

When one of my sons was in third grade his class had a unit that somehow related to quilts... maybe a unit about the frontier or something, and the teacher sent home a request asking that if anyone had made a quilt that they come in for a show-and-tell. I brought the first quilt I ever made--I found a pattern I liked in a book, decided I wanted to change it "just a bit," ended up changing it a lot (fabric colors, size, extra borders, etc.), cut the fabrics myself--sometimes several times, as I was still figuring things out, pieced it all on a machine, machine quilted it to a pieced backing, and then hand-sewed the back of the binding on. It is a masterpiece that took months to make, even though it is an extra-large lap-size. I still consider it one of my best and if I had to rescue just one of my quilts from disaster, that would be it.

One of the students asked, "did you make it by hand or is it machine made?" I was floored--it had never occurred to me that anyone, even an 8-year-old, might consider a quilt sewn at home to be anything less than hand-made. After I picked my jaw up off the floor and finished stuttering, I explained that not all, but *most* quilts made since the sewing machine became common are at least pieced on a machine, and that while I did quilt the top on a machine, it was my hands that guided it through the machine; so YES, it was hand-made.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how the quilts sold in retail stores are manufactured on a step-by-step basis, but even if it is a human guiding the fabric through a machine in a sweatshop somewhere, I don't consider them hand-made. That person doesn't care what happens to the quilt, had no part in selecting the pattern or fabrics, can't change the finished product if the urge strikes, and might as well just be a piece of machinery themselves... and probably will be replaced by one, eventually. They don't care if they are sewing quilts, or shirts, or tents--so anything made in a factory can never be hand-made.

A self-serving definition? I don't know... I must give at least some extra credibility to a completely hand-guided needle-and-thread quilt, because I have a fantasy of someday sewing an entire quilt by hand... but I seriously doubt that is ever going to happen! Even if I got started today in my 30s, I'd never finish it during this lifetime.... too many quilts to make, too little time to wield a needle for anything but binding! :)
Old 08-11-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
Hmmm... I tend to think just the opposite. Machine quilted and stitched quilts are just as beautiful, and more durable, so I personally believe them to be the superior product. :)~~~
The one and only quilt I've made to date was back in 1978. My father saw a quilt he really loved and asked me if I thought I could make one like it. Fortunately it was just a simple trip around the world in that old reliable combination of red (cranberrry) and blue (deep cobalt).

I cut all the patches with a template and scissors because rotary cutters had not yet come out. I hand pieced the top because that's how the Mennonite women I knew did it. I hand quilted it because, again, that is how the Mennonite women I knew did it. I did cross hatch quilting 1/2 inch apart across the entire quilt to make puffy little diamonds. My stitches weren't great, about six to the inch (I measured) but they were adequate to the job.

Took me eight months from start to finish. The top was faster because I could just stack squares in the order for strips and carry them around with me to piece whenever I had a spare moment. The quilting I did was mostly during a night shift job I had as an telephone answering service operator (with permission from my boss). It was one of those jobs where someone had to be there and ready but very little ever actually happened.

That quilt has been on my father's bed ever since. It has been machine washed and dried once a month (due to allergies). The colours have faded slighty and the edge of the ruffle has gotten a little threadbare but the quilt itself is still in good condition.

All in all, I think that quilt has been pretty durable. I'm not sure how machine piecing or quilting could prevent fading or the wearing of the edge of the ruffle (both of which are common weak links to any quilt made in any manner).
Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
Another way of looking at this is: do tomatoes taste better if the field is plowed by hand with a stick instead of a tractor?
!

Neither! Any tomato in this country that is grown in a field, no matter how it is plawed, is of a variety where hardiness is the primary characteristic and they are picked green.

A tomato tastes best grown right outside your own door, only hardy enough to be carried by hand from garden to kitchen and picked at the peak of ripeness while warm from the sun.

Those things sold in the vast majority of grocery stores are... something else. I'm not sure what but they sure don't seem anything close to the ones from my garden.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:47 PM

Recently a woman I just met told me that she did real quilting, she quilted by hand. I told her that was wonderful and I was very sincere. However, I choose to use a machine to make my quilts. I LOVE quilting. I love picking out fabric, even though I have a hard time with it; I love picking the pattern; I love cutting out the pieces; I love the process of putting it together; and I even love putting on the binding and labeling it. Isn't that the point, doing something we love and sharing it with people we love whichever method we choose to use?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:56 PM

If I make a piece of furniture in my garage using my table saw, is it hand made or do I have to cut with a hand saw to call it hand made.

When sewing machines came in vogue, quilts were done on them. The hand made quilts my grandmother made were quilted in "bees." Our "Bees" today is better machines or Long arm machines. I have learn to value those who do machine quilting. I have been trying to learn myself.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
If you make it then it is made by your hand. If you use a machine to help get it done it is still made by your hand. A rose by any other name.....

I have a friend that is 85 years of age that insists her applesauce must be done by using the old hand crank food mill. Years ago I made mine that way and I had to wait until my husband could help with it. (I am 57 years old now.) When I learned that Kitchen Aid had an attachment to the mixer which does the same thing, I can make 18 quarts of applesauce in 3 hours instead of 6, not to mention I can do it by myself in that time, it was a no brainer.

We have these machines for a reason. I love hand sewing. In fact I do both, I hand quilt and machine quilt. It depends what I am making and how soon I need it.

I heard a discussion on a talk show a while back about would Shakespeare have written more plays if he'd had a computer. (let's not discuss all his helpers and DO-ERS!).

My opinion would be yes, because the computer would have done a lot of the "paper pushing" for him. Corrections, additions, rearrangements would have been so much faster.

One of the ladies in the discussion said no, based on her belief that he had x number of plays in him and that was that.

Darn, if I had that Johnson guy ironing for me, I could work faster and turn out more stuff. (maybe)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Is a baby delivered with foreceps still a person?
There you go!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
Hmmm... I have heard this, especially when I started quilting again in 1999. I even took classes in template cutting, hand piecing and hand quilting. Unfortunately, my hands did not like it so I went to another LQS and learned things like a rotary cutter, cutting mat and machine piecing. I got hooked.

I have a friend who claims that it is not a quilt unless you use one of the "original" patterns -- none of this artsy stuff. I ignore her too if I am in the mood.
Here's what she's missing! When some one comes up with a "new" pattern, it's the original.

How far back do you have to go to find the first 20-25 or so "original" patterns? Quilting has long been part of the USofA's heritage. But surely Noah's mom set some pieces of old clothing and blankets together to make a new cover. Maybe not that soon, maybe Mary and her cousin Elizabeth!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by lindy-2
i think a quilt is a quilt.no matter how its made unless its factory produced.
hey even the amish who are revered as doing everything old fashoned use sewing machines and rotery cutters. so there to all those quilt police. are they going to look down on the amish for not being "oldfashoned" enough?
The Amish try to avoid electricity, not new inventions.