Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt therapy >

quilt therapy

quilt therapy

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 AM

I have PTSD from my sons violent death when he was 13. Quilting and sewing tend to keep me sane and and on track if I skip a few days of sewing I get panic attacks. The doctor says different things work for different people when I am angry my quilts are bright and bold and filled with abstract slashes, when I am depressed they are darker and and somber when I am unaffected and happy they tend to be whimsical. I think quilting sooths my soul. It is the best therapy I have found!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 AM

I have MS also and my mother got me into quilting I think 3 years ago now. I wish I had started years ago. I have a Baby Lock Crown Jewel with a New Joy frame and a Brother that does almost everything but make coffee, LOL. I said to my DH that I 'm thinking I really want an embroidery machine now and god love him. He says to me you know this hobby of yours is a sickness. They have help for that, I said sure they do buy me the new machine Please. LOL
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 AM

All of the above and at almost 83, then some. From sewing all my life I have learned patience, perseverance, sharing, money management, color coordination, peace and most of all, a great self pride and confidence for all the lovely things I have made.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
I lost a leg 3 1/2 yrs ago, and have phantom pain, 24 - 7. Almost 2 years ago I feel in the bathroom and shattered my hip, so phantom pain is worse. I have shoulder pain from having a shoulder replacement 2 1/2 yrs. ago, carpal tunnel from typing for years as well as all the crafts I did. And depression because of all this. BUT, when I quilt, I don't think about the pain, it relaxes me. Gives me a reason to get up in the morning. Quite frankly before I got back into quilting, there were many days, I just wanted to end it all. Not anymore. It actually gives me a reason to live. And I thank God all the time that I can do this and so many other things. Oh,and by the way, I'm only 62 so have a lot of good years ahead of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

klgreene, you surly have a lot on your plate. When I read stories like yours I feel like I am indeed very well off phylically! I will think of you next time I feel like complaining because my leg dosen't work so well.....God Bless you.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 AM

I also am only same due to my quilting, now I have my cousin
to thank that I go over to her house to sew. My daughter,and
her two kids, and expecting in Jan (all under 2) are with me and
if it wasn't for quilting, I think I would be in a deep depression.
I always even keep books at work so I can at least look at them at lunch time. Just stopping at the local Walmart and looking at fabric transforms me into the creativity mode, and
all worries go away...I thank God for this hobby.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jlong
I had a difficult group of fourth graders last year. The time spent quilting greatly helped my disposition. I was more motivated to keep all the papers graded and lesson plans up to date, so I could quilt. Boy did I quilt. :D
I have difficult high school seniors who did not pass our state testing and don't want to listen or do anything. I also have an administration that is less than helpful. So, yes, quilting is great therapy for me.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 AM

After reading your posts, I feel like resuming them in those three worlds.

DONT QUIT, QUILT, that extra letter in the word quilt gives you the courage
and strength to face hardship, In French, the letter L is pronounced the same way than the worse *aile* which means wings , Keeping on quilting is giving you the wings to fly over difficulties. Keep on girls.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 AM

I have fibromyalgia along with being a perfectionist. I also take care of 3 of my grandkids 5,3,and 8 months 5 days a week 8-5:30. Quilting is sometimes my only sanity for the day.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by humbird
Originally Posted by klgreene
I lost a leg 3 1/2 yrs ago, and have phantom pain, 24 - 7. Almost 2 years ago I feel in the bathroom and shattered my hip, so phantom pain is worse. I have shoulder pain from having a shoulder replacement 2 1/2 yrs. ago, carpal tunnel from typing for years as well as all the crafts I did. And depression because of all this. BUT, when I quilt, I don't think about the pain, it relaxes me. Gives me a reason to get up in the morning. Quite frankly before I got back into quilting, there were many days, I just wanted to end it all. Not anymore. It actually gives me a reason to live. And I thank God all the time that I can do this and so many other things. Oh,and by the way, I'm only 62 so have a lot of good years ahead of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

klgreene, you surly have a lot on your plate. When I read stories like yours I feel like I am indeed very well off phylically! I will think of you next time I feel like complaining because my leg dosen't work so well.....God Bless you.
Humbird....I do have a lot on my plate, but I do have a good attitude. the one thing that really bothers me, is I need help with my wheel chair getting it in and out of the car. But other than that, nothing stops me. I was down on my belly on Saturday fixing the tree skirt, not comfortable, but I wanted it done MY way. Maybe that's what helps me.....I am stubborn as a mule. Life is short and there are to many quilts I want to make, and to many things I want to do. As I sit here writing about my problems, I am watching Discovery Health channel. And there is a young man, with half a body. So no matter what is wrong with us....someone is so much worse off.

Life, love, and laugh for life is too short.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lynmccoy
Is quilting therapy for anyone else out there? I have MS and my doctor told me 9 years ago to not think about what I couldn't do anymore but what I could do. As the list changed and the what I couldn't do got longer,I decided I would keep myself occupied with quilting so my hands would stay flexible.It's a lot easier than sitting in a corner waiting to get worse. My doctor tells his other patients to try needlework now too.

Do SO agree, have PMR and severe heart failure, without quilting and reading on a bad day it would be hell;it certainly is therapeutic and helps too.