Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt of Valor Quilt at the Goodwill >

Quilt of Valor Quilt at the Goodwill

Quilt of Valor Quilt at the Goodwill

Old 07-04-2013, 01:55 AM

I would have puchased it (I'm a collector of most things Americana). Love reading the ideas of tring to locate the original quilter(s) and/or finding another home where the quilt will be cherished and used.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
It is a sad thing, but we will never know what all happens in the life of a quilt, especially a charity quilt. I occasionally come across Project Linus blankets in thrift stores or garage sales, and I buy them simply out of respect. I then remove the label, which I think releases the spirit.
I like that you buy them and then release the spirit by removing the label. I will now be doing that when I see one.
Thank you for the tip.
Erin
Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 AM

I can see a future quilt show consisting of a collection of vintage Quilts of Valor and the stories of the recipients- if available- along with the quilt.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
These quilts are given to veterans to honor their service. After the veteran receives the quilt, it is his (or hers) to do with as he or she wishes. Perhaps the veteran passed and the quilt was donated by the family, perhaps the veteran donated, it doesn't matter. The quilt itself is not what's important, it's the gift, the acknowledgment, the honor to the veteran. That is accomplished when the quilt is presented. I don't think QOV would permit a used quilt to be presented to another veteran, but the quilt could certainly be donated to a shelter, without the QOV label.
I totally agree with this. We just don't know the circumstances and can't judge. I think it's good that the quilt was donated for someone else to enjoy it.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by thanneaKS View Post
I'm a military widow, Gold Star Wife. No worries--it was from Viet Nam, so it was a long time ago. Anyway, I'm wondering if there was a death. Widows grieve in different ways. Some of us keep everything, some of us unload everything, some of us find a happy medium. It could have ended up at the Goodwill as a donation from the widow who unloads everything. Anyway, that was my immediate thought.
Thank you for your sacrifice and the ultimate sacrifice of your husband. Thank you for these words of wisdom.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 AM

It's possible and more than likely that the service person who received the quilt never gave it a passing thought once he/she got it. I have read many posts here on the board about people accepting a quilt and then using the gift as a rag..let's face it not everyone likes quilts.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
I appreciate the Quilts of Valor project and admire what is being accomplished but, and this is my opinion only, the strictly red, white, and blue color scheme can be a bit off putting. I believe some service men and women would love a quilt but Red White and Blue can be very 'busy' to someone recovering from a head injury or is confined to bed for any length of time. Or I could be wrong.
My husband is retired military and appreciates his quilts in something other than patriotic colors. Friends who are breast cancer survivors want to move forward from pink. We never know the complete history of a quilt. Alzheimer's and dementia patients can't handle busy prints/ designs. I give this Quilt of Valor a pass and pray for the service person and their family. I can't bring it in my heart to judge and count my blessings for the freedom others have made possible through sacrifices -- mental and physical. Thank you, U.S. Military!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 AM

So many wise comments here! You just never know what happens on a quilt's journey through life. I personally couldn't have left it in the thrift store. It needs the tender loving care of a new owner! Regards, Linda
Old 07-04-2013, 05:41 AM

Some people just don't understand the love behind the quilts. They only see money to be gained from a yard sale or want to get it out of the house. Their loss and our gain if it can be rescued and given to someone else.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by thanneaKS View Post
I'm a military widow, Gold Star Wife. No worries--it was from Viet Nam, so it was a long time ago. Anyway, I'm wondering if there was a death. Widows grieve in different ways. Some of us keep everything, some of us unload everything, some of us find a happy medium. It could have ended up at the Goodwill as a donation from the widow who unloads everything. Anyway, that was my immediate thought.
Or the recipient may have been all alone and all of his belongings were donated. At least it wasn't in the trash. If there's a VFW near you they can help you find a home for it.